Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everybody! Long-time, long-winded lurker here!

Hi! My name is Wendy, I'm 24 and as of today, my BMI is 45.1. It makes me cringe to type that. But that's why I'm here! I've been lurking for a loooooooong time, finally registered in April, been hanging back and doing research and finally decided, after years of weighing my options, that Banding is right for me. I took a deep breath this morning, picked up the phone, and called a doctor who comes highly recommended in my tiny town for being a WLS consult.

I went to the doc and she was impressed with me. I brought along a printout of the spreadsheet I'd created listing my attempts to lose weight since 1993. I was 10 years old :cry I listed when, what, how long, how much it cost, and what the results were. Yeah, it took some remembering, but I'm kinda OCD about it, and numbers stick in my head like crazy.

I also brought along a copy of my filled-out patient intake report for the surgery center I figure on using (I called them, even they were like... you're getting ready to go to your first appointment with your PCP and want the packet??)

I plan on going to the next info session put on my said facility next week. It's an almost 3 hour drive but better than the 5-6 hour drive I took last time to go to a session on WLS! Besides, I could use a trip out of town!

We talked about what changes to expect in lifestyle and eating habits her patients have had to made, and what success she's had with approvals before. She's going to tackle my insurance company's policy and fight for me. She set me up with a referral to the nutritionist (who I've heard is a real bimbo) and I'm to check back with her in a month as part of our "doctor suprevised WL plan".

She told me to start walking as exercise. She made me giggle when she said, "Start with 3 minutes, OK?" because I usually tackle a couple miles at a time when I go walking but I'll do what she says (well, I'll log what she says, and do what I want, which'll be at least a mile) because she knows her stuff and what ins. co's want. She gave me a Rx for Ibuprofin 800mg to take before I go walking, because I know from experience if I don't take one an hour before walking, my back seizes up and I can't make it home.

I cried in her office a few times, which annoys me because I hate crying but this is something very emotional, so I forgave myself for it... that's big for me.

I feel so relieved that I'm taking the first steps on this long journey, and that the 3 people I've told (only ones I'm going to tell) support me completely!

:whoo: <-- and I finally get to use this guy!!

Now I just need to figure out what my story's going to be to everyone around me. I'm thinking something with a hiatal hernia, which I have, but I'm not sure what, exactly. I don't want to lie, just be creative with the truth. Maybe...

"Oh, I'm seeing a doctor for stomach problems, and need surgery to fix my hiatal hernia. There's a problem with my stomach's absorbtion levels."

Yeah... it absorbs too much!! And I did see the doc for stomach issues, I may be getting another visit from my friendly Mr. Ulcer. Plus she said, if possible, we can ask the surgeon if he can fix the hernia while he's in there, which is not uncommon around LBT.

My boyfriend supports me 100%; his only concern is how much everything's going to cost. But we'll figure that out.

First step taken. And I'm on cloud 9! :bounce:

I got to thinking about why I want to do this. I'm sure I just need to search to find a thread or six about this, but for the record, health is my number one reason. But coming in a very, very, VERY close second is emotional. I'm tired of being the biggest in a room. I'm tired of feeling like I'm constantly being judged by those around me. I have very weak ankles and a few times they've been sprained but I needed to go grocery shopping, so I'd use one of the store-provided wheelie carts. The whole time I feel like people are looking at me like, "Look, she's so fat she can't even walk!" :phanvan

I'm doing this for myself, even though I have issues that I need to work past with eating disorders and secret wishes of showing up thin and making everyone wonder.

See? I warned you in the title I'm long-winded! If you made it this far you get a calorie-free inviso-cookie! :hungry:

Good luck on your journey and I hope it works out for you. I too am going through all of the pre work for surgery. I am having my surgery done in Houston. And I am sooooo..... ready! :whoo:

Welcome, Wendy!:welcome: I like these smilies, too!!

It was fun to read your "story" and I think you sound like you have it all together. You will do well if you do get lapband surgery, I'm sure! You are so far ahead of the game at this point. Sounds like you have done your homework well.

Keep posting and asking questions. We are all here to help each other! Oh, and another one of my favorite smilies is:

:puke:But I never get a chance to use it! Hopefully, you will never need to use it, either!! Good luck and again, WELCOME!!

You are too funny, I loved your story and can relate as I have been making a spread sheet of my own. Met with my PCP and am off to the seminar the end of the month. Good luck and keep in touch. :)

Wow thanks for the replies everyone! I should have posted an introduction sooner! :) You're all so sweet, thank you for the welcomes and encouragement!

HI,

MY NAME IS ASHLEY. I AM ALSO FROM A SMALL TOWN IN TEXAS........I CAN COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM WITH THE WHOLE WEIGHT LOSS STRUGGLE....I AM ALSO 24 SO I AM SOOO READY TO DO THIS NOW AND ACTUALLY GET TO ENJOY MY NEW LIFE AS A THINNER PERSON.....WHAT PART OF TEXAS ARE YOU FROM??:rolleyes

HI WENDY:clap2: CONGRATS ON JOINING THE BANDWAGON. I ONLY DISCOVERED THIS SITE A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO AND ALREADY IT HAS BEEN SOOO MUCH HELP. I LIVE IN ENGLAND AND THOUGH SOME THINGS ARE DIFFERENT HERE MOST ARE THE SAME SO I CAN RELATE TO YOU ALL. I WAS BANDED ON 11 AUG SO AM JUST OVER 5 WEEKS POST OP AND AM DOING FINE SO FAR, HAVN,T HAD A FILL YET THOUGH:help: AM A BIT SCARED BUT WITH ALL THE EXPERIENCES ON HEAR I,M SURE I WILL GET LOTS OF SUPPORT JUST AS YOU WILL. I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO THE ANKLE PROB YOU HAVE I TOO HAVE IT AND ONLY YESTERDAY MY ANKLE TWISTED LUCKILY I WAS AT HOME AS IT WAS SOOO FUNNY I WAS WALKING FROM THE KITCHEN TO THE LOUNGE AND OVER IT WENT BUT I WAS WALKING QUITE QUICKLY SO THE MOMENTUM KEPT ME GOING FORWARD AND I STUMBLED RIGHT INTO THE WALL ALMOST KNOCKING MYSELF OUT ON THE MIRROR!:) MY HUSBAND WAS THERE BUT IT HAPPEND SO FAST HE COULDN,T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT I DID HURT MYSELF SLIGHTLY BUT IT LOOKED SO DAMM FUNNY I COULDN,T DO ANYTHING BUT LAUGH HAHA. AS YOU CAN SEE I TOO AM LONG WINDED LOL. SO I GUESS THE BAND WILL BE A BIT LIKE THAT TOO NOT ALL SMOOTH SAILING BUT IF WE KEEP A POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE AND KEEP TALKING TO EACH OTHER WE WILL BE OK. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOURNEY AND KEEP IN TOUCH.:car: