Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone from a soon to be!

I have been reading this website for about a month, and I am totally addicted. I am in the beginning stages of my journey. I am having my surgery done in Houston, by Dr. Davis the one that is on Big Medicine and he is just awesome. I am 29 years old I am about 5'0 and weigh 252lbs. I am so miserable and am so ready for this. My question is that I have to do a six month pre-op diet and I just would like to know what that entails. What did some of you who had to do it eat or drink?:)

I was originally required to do a 12 month medically supervised diet. All it entailed was the Dr. giving me healthy diet guidelines, and me following the recommendations. He had me of course cut down the sugar, and the carbs in my diet, and wanted me eating low fat.....I tried, but to be honest, I had done all that, and even when I lost weight, I regained it, I just wanted my band!!!!

Is the pre op required by the surgeon or the insurance?

Welcome to LBT, you will love the support!!!

I live in NM, but we have property in central TX so we go back and forth several times a year.

Hang out, let us get to know you!

Kat

Thank you so much for the response. I am doing the supervised diet for the insurance company. you know part of their game.

Unfortunately I DO know their game---and my advice is to play their game to the letter! Take detailed notes if you talk to them, note who you talked to, and when as well as what they said. Then do everything they say WHEN they say to do it!

My program at the time 18 months ago was requiring 12 months. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. I was 10 1/2 months into it when I was in a car accident that landed me in the hospital and having knee surgery. I missed an appointment for nutritional counselling while I was hospitalized, my PCP saw me in the hospital, but for the injuries not the nutritional consult. So when I went back ---still on crutches --- I was told I would have to start the entire 12 months over because they have to be consecutive!!! I appealled it, and was told they would be happy to cover it WHEN I did the 12 consecutive months....so it was another year away. And they they informed me that they would not pay for another sleep study, or for repeats of some of the tests, they are only allowed every 2 years, and yet the band surgeon requires them to be within 6 months....I was heartbroken. About a month later, the other drivers insurance company called me to settle my medical, and they actually gave me a cash settlement for it as well, and I took that cash and ran myself to Mexico!!! I actually went to a Dr, that friends had used before me for banding, so I had thought about it, but was not planning on spending our savings on the surgery since I had insurance coverage. But when the money come to me that way it seemed the right thing to do. Now looking back on it, I would have just finished up the year not long ago---and would just now be having surgery. BUT in the last year, my DH has had open heart surgery and survived a life threatening GI bleed, so I am sure through all of that, I would have missed another appointment, and been back to square one, yet again!

SO follow the rules!!! And be glad it is only 6 months, it will be here before you know it!!! Happy Christmas present to yourself almost!!! A little belated!!

Kat

I also have BCBS of Texas, and I am willing to do whatever they want me to, so that they will pay. I went through this whole process about a year ago with another doctor. They sent me through the psych and nutrition, all the paperwork, 2 sets of pre blood work, and classes. All before they even knew if my insurance would cover it. After about 3 months I had to call the insurance company myself and was told that I had a clause in my policy that would not cover surgery like this. :cry So my husband and I talked it over for a while and decided to self-pay. I am now going through a different surgeon and decided to let them see if my insurance would possibly cover it and it turns out that they will if I do a 6 month pre-op diet. I am so excited and cannot wait to be on the other side. I don't know anyone who has had the band, so it is so helpful to read all the stories on this website. :bounce:

BCBS of TX does not have an exclusion, but some employers have the exclusion. Lucky for you it sounds like yours does not!

This site was and is a life saver for me, it is such a huge life changing thing, that it is hard not to obssess over it. When I started seeing my family & friends eyes glaze over when I mentioned the band again, I would log on here!!! Here we all obssess together!

Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions or concerns, and if it would be easier I can PM you my #. I am so thrilled with my band, I cannot recommend it enough!!!

I know this is going to sound very strange (!!!) but several of the women I chat with in the New Jersey thread are from Texas!!! And I am there from NM, and there's one from California, and another from Illinois....who knew Jersey was so big!!! Right now we are under the thread title of something like August NJ thread . I know they would welcome you as well, and you could ask them their locations in TX---I want to say they are more in the Dallas area...not sure, we were going to meet between Abilene and Dallas I think---we are still going to try this fall.

Kat