Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excited and terrified

Guest NurseMichele

Guest NurseMichele

As soon as I finish this I'm going to call Dr. Deol for an appointment. I would appreciate any words of wisdom from experienced bandsters. I think I've done my homework, but there is a part of me that is still terrified at the thought of a surgical procedure.

It's natural to feel that way, it is such a big step. Afte you make that initial contact, you will feel much more sure, although you will feel anxious and nervous right up to the surgery. :D

YOUR SURGERY

Yes, it’s kind of scary,

You will be asleep, and others will be in control.

But, remember, others have gone through this, thousands of times before you.

They, too, were afraid, wondering about the future and the changes

This would bring.

But:

Change is forward motion;

And, forward motion is one sure sign of life.

Remember, to live life in the moment,

Then tomorrow will take care of itself.

And time will pass,

And the wounds will heal, and

You will heal.

Take care.......Take time.........

You can do this.

I think it's perfectly normal to be scared. Not only are you submitting yourself up physically to the unknown. There are risks with any surgery. You should be cautiously concerned. However, you should be cautiously concerned about the impending health problems associated with obesity (which I'm sure you are, since you are here). This surgery is also a lifetime committment to having your food intake restricted. It is a declaration that all the things you have tried have not worked in the long term and you care enough about yourself and your family to make drastic changes in your lifestyle and eating habits so that you can hang around a bit longer in their lives. That's a big committment, but a very honorable one. How long have you researched? Do you feel you know all the possible risks and complications. Are you aware that you will not wake up skinny? :D Is it okay with you that you will NOT lose 100lbs in 3 months like bypass patients do? Do you understand that you may have to endure several weeks of liquids and mushy foods and you may not lose any weight at all until you actually have enough adjustments done to get your own unique body to a restriction level to begin restricting intake? If you understand some of these basic things and you are willing to do what it takes to work with the band. Then you're obviously in good hands. :D

We've all been there. It is definitely a big step, but guess what! In a year, you'll be so excited because you can buy clothes in a smaller section. You can ride the rides at the amusement parks without worrying about bars that don't fit over your lap. Bicycle may be a new word in your vocabulary. You can go to bed at night feeling more trim and not totally bloated from having eaten all the wrong things. You'll feel your collarbone again. It's amazing the changes our bodies make as we lose weight. Best of all, IF you follow the guidelines (Protein, Water, exercise) on a consistent basis and you develop new eating habits, you will never have to lose this weight again. :D Good luck on your decision!!

Leatha summed it up beautifully! If you have any weight-related health problems, you will see these drastically reduced, if not eliminated. Any RXS, those will go down also. That alone will save you a fortune! As Clara Luz once stated, one day after your banding, you'll realize that you weren't lazy all that time you were overweight....you were just too tired to do the things you want to. You'll get out there and live life, instead of watching it pass you by on the sidelines.

Can you give us a little background...how much weight do you want to lose, do you have any health related problems, what do you look forward to doing the most? Best of luck to you on your search for better health!

Guest NurseMichele

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

I'm 36, 5'7", 250#. I recently learned that I have high cholesterol, but more than anything I want to be active without aching and being exhausted. My daughter will be 5 on Friday and I want to be able to run and play with her while she'll still tolerate her Mom being around.

Last March my best friend had breast reduction surgery, which went well, but she was found dead in the hospital bed the next morning. The autopsy states she had an anuerysm rupture in her brain. Perhaps it would have happened anyway. Who knows?

I realize the risks of being obese. And now the risks of surgery are very real as well. I feel like I'm choosing the lesser of the evils. I wish there were a better option. I've always joked about holding out for the 'couch potato pill.' But life is going by while I wait.

My appointment is Wednesday. Keep me in your prayers.

Michele