Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bored of My Diet Already-

I am only 10 days post op, NUT has me on the third week of my diet plan already which means I can have more variety in my food & I am a great cook so I know there are endless opportunities but I can't eat much so in order to get all of my Protein I am basically eating meat. I'm tired of meat .....I'm tired of Protein shakes. I have to get in 90-113 grams of Protein but all I want is some vegetables... Kale, spinach, roasted carrots something else!!!!

I know how important protein is but if I get all my protein from shakes I'm too full for anything else and if I get it from meat same thing. :( does anyone have suggestions for vegan or vegetarian protein sources ????

I'm just in dire need of something else. I can not be bored this soon. .....

Sent from my Z970 using the BariatricPal App

Weight loss after RNY gastric bypass surgery is achieved by meal volume control. The volume of meals are incredibly small at the beginning. So therefore you need to consume Protein otherwise your body will begin to break apart. That is why you have to supplement your Protein intake with protein supplements (protein shakes). But your protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein you consume from protein supplements combined with the protein from meals. If you concentrate on consuming high protein meals, then as your meal volume increases you will be able to reduce your reliance on Protein shakes. Over a year and a half, I went from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1 and then finally none.

Part of what you may be missing at this stage is your need to chew. It is an automatic function that is related to the eating process. So when you reach the solid food stage, this need will begin to be satisfied.

When you get to the solid stage, you may find some foods too hard to eat such as meats. I found that softer food went down easier. Softer foods are really a function of preparation. These are chili and Soups. They were my mainstay. After surgery, foods lost their flavor. By mixing food groups together, I found they helped to restore taste again. I have included a few recipes in the following article at the end once your reach that stage. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I know how important Protein is but if I get all my Protein from shakes I'm too full for anything else and if I get it from meat same thing. :( does anyone have suggestions for vegan or vegetarian protein sources ????

Beans, lentils and nuts - assuming they are on your plan. It maybe too early for nuts. These are not as protein packed as meat, but still very high in protein. Also, not sure if you're including fish in your definition of meat, but it's an excellent source of protein. However, you probably want to limit fish intake to once a week or so given the high levels of antibiotics (farm raised) or Mercury (wild).

Either way, you will still need to supplement with Protein Shakes. My daily protein goal is only 60g, and that would still be like 4.25 cups of Beans or 3.4 cups of lentils. Way more than I can actually eat right now (I'm 3 weeks post op). I think 3oz of tilapia or perch is over 20g though, so that's a good start.