Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Evaluation

I am in the middle of my pre-op requirements I originally planned on being able to have my surgery around May, but (and this is embaracing to say) but I flunked my psych evaluation and the psychiatrists recommendations were to have 6 months of therapy before I have the surgery and then I go back to see him, so now it won't be until September or so but I'm still in the same calendar year so my insurance deductible will still apply. But I just wanted to know if anyone else had this same outcome and did it help you more when you had the surgery in the long run, Because that is the way I am looking at it is it will just make me more successful when it comes time for me to have the surgery. I do have some depression problems and self-esteem issues to work through but just wandering what everyone thinks and any similar stories and what were your results???

Nothing to be embarrassed about...I think it's important that you are in the "right place" emotionally before getting the surgery. You will be far more successful! This is why the psych evaluation is important and part of the quality WLS programs. I have mine Tuesday...hoping I "pass" but if I don't - I will know I need work on my mind before I get any on my body! Hoping that you can have the surgery in Sept and do well!

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I almost flunked because I was proactive enough to have therapy for several years leading up to my weight-loss surgery. My regular therapist fought for me, and it worked.

I just had mine on Friday. It went well, she said I was a great candidate for surgery. Basically the bottom line is she stated she sees many people who have severe food addictions and don't fix the underline problem and come back later after surgery and have gained most weight back on. So, I think if there are things that would hurt in the long run fix, discuss now so you will be successful later:)

I did mines about a month ago. It went better than I expected. I thought for sure because of depression and anxiety, and a history of psych medications that it would complicate things. But she ultimately felt that I didn't have unrealistic goals about the surgery...meaning that I knew I would still have to work my butt off and that it wasn't a quick fix. Take the extra time to really prepare yourself. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I have serious bipolar disorder and didn't "flunk" mine - I firmly believe it is because I am currently in long-term therapy and being followed by an excellent psychiatrist, both of whom went bat for me to say that I am completely compliant with my treatment regimen, have their full support, and understand what my surgery entails. That, I think, is what they are looking for if you have a mental illness.

Interestingly, their promotional material says major mental illness makes you a poor candidate, but when I met them they told me that it is currently untreated mental illness that is a postponer, not the diagnosis per se.