Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Newbie.........from the UK

hi

i'm 35 and need to lose 8 or 9 stone. i have never been really unhappy being fat but the last couple of stone i put on is just too much for me. i have been thinking about it for a few months, looked for a dr and a good hospital near me and went to see him. he booked me in on the spot, said i had ovbviously looked into it a lot and knew what i was doing etc. i am having it done privately via credit card! its a wopping £8k. expensive but hopefully worth it. what about you? I have not made nhs enquiries but presume there is a massive waiting list for years etc. am i wrong??

i think the best example you can set your daughter is to be strong, to take control of your life, to care about your health, to show her how better life is as an active person, to show her how improved self esteem can improve your life

its a balancing act but taking control i think tips the balance. why not watch toots and i go through the process over the next few weeks and let that help you decide. good luck xxxxxx

I also have 2 daughters 16yrs & 20yrs, they have both seen me struggle with my weight on and off for years.....My problem is Portion Control & binge eating.......... so i'm hoping this will help me to contol this.

Did you consult your G.P? I know that different areas have different waiting list times - even as low as 4 months. I would think it would be worth an chat at least. It is so expensive! I read somewhere on here someone had it done on the nhs. I think your BMI comes into it - I looked on the nhs direct or something similar and it mentions BMI or over 35 - I think mines about 44 not sure. I think I may speak to my G.P soon, i did have reductil for a very short time approx two yrs ago - they worked a bit... i got an inch or two off ... which returned!

you two already have a great gift in life..children. i am still unable to conceive. hoping weight loss will help although i have bad endometriosis so may be infertile. i plan to adopt now and want to be thinner so i can be active with the children i adopt and set them a good example

I am also going private, as my BMI is just under the min amount, so i dont think i would be eligable to have it done on the NHS, and if i did i'm sure i'd be a stone or two heavier, by the time i got refferred & seen

oh i did not realise the waiting list could be so short. i will speak to my gp, although i do not hold out much hope. i think they tend to treat people that are 25 stone plus, bmi of 60 plus. i think my bmi is 45 so i am getting there!!

Thanks kelly - I know you are right - you too toots...and I have the same thing. To be trutuhful - I am really very confident and happy I just feel so unhealthy. I never used to think about food really, but as my weight has crept up I need more filling! I would like to get some Portion Control and stop eating at night. This typing is keeping me out of the fridge and the huge bar of chocolate my partner has in there( He's 30 and slim ..grr)

I know im blessed, I count myself so very blessed. Don't give up Kelly - I went out with a friend last night ( for a meal!!!) her baby is due in November - she has suffered terribly with endometriosis for many years. She did lose a little weight before she conceivedxx

I think you should both see your G.P. - you have nothing to lose, except a large bill ( and a few pounds)

Yep me too, i need to go to bed before I get to drawn to the kitchen - hope to keep in touch- best of luck to you both!