Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

With any luck, I will be having RNY sometime between mid-June and late August. I'm wondering when I will be able to return to work after the surgery?

I understand, this is an individual thing... but, my job is one where I am in front of 4 computer monitors and talking on the phone most of the day. No heavy lifting. Not much activity. (Probably one of the reasons I am in this position in the first place!)

My concern, we had a baby 2 months ago and I took 2 weeks off work (to support my wife and bond with my son). My employer does give a fair amount of paid time off. But I am not sure how happy they will be when I tell them I need yet another 2 weeks to a month off of work. And you know the stigma.. "for a surgery that is 'elective', I should just put down the cheeseburger and get back to work".. :angry:

Does anyone think it's possible to return to a desk job within 7-10 days? What are my odds? I'd like to hear of everyones experience in returning to work and your energy levels. Again, minimum energy needed for my job, but of course I cannot be falling asleep.. lol

Thanks! :D

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the recovery process has a degree of complexity to it. First, you will be unable to drive until all narcotics from surgery and pain relief are out of your system. (In my case, I rejected all pain medicines after I left the recovery room. But I may be an exception.) Second, taking your Vitamins throughout the day, giving proper spacing between them, not mixing the calciums with the irons and also giving yourself the injections to prevent blood clots will take some time to master. Then you integrate in the fact that you have to space out your fluids, your meals, your Protein. It will take you awhile to get in the groove. You may be too optimistic for 7-10 days.

Since you have a sedentary job, you will probably want to break several times a day and just walk a little. Climb stairs. Move around the office.

After surgery, I found that I could no longer swallow. I had to split most pills and Vitamins or crush them. You might want to rely on premixed Protein shakes because you cannot take a blender to work. Since you sit a lot, you might want to buy a gel cushion for your chair, once your weight begins to drop off dramatically.

Also I would recommend that you walk for 30 minutes each day from now on. It really will help the recovery process go smoothly and will substantially reduce your pain levels.

I work a very sedentary job as well. I was out for 2 weeks and worked parttime for about a week after, mostly because I was on so few calories in addition to recovery that I would get extremely tired each day and need to go home while I could still safely drive. I had a very smooth recovery. I saved up extra time to make sure I had it if I needed it.

pam

PS. I dont' think you actually need to tell work what your surgery is, except for FMLA paperwork. I just told them I would be out for at least two weeks for surgery. Yes, they now have a pretty good idea why and I don't hesitate to tell people, but before surgery only a few VERY select people knew the full story.

PS. I dont' think you actually need to tell work what your surgery is, except for FMLA paperwork. I just told them I would be out for at least two weeks for surgery. Yes, they now have a pretty good idea why and I don't hesitate to tell people, but before surgery only a few VERY select people knew the full story.

Yes, I agree. I guess I will go about it that way too. Some may feel this is "elective" but those of us that need it to save our lives of course feel different. My employer does not need to know, I'm sure that's the legal side of things. Thanks!

Yes, I agree. I guess I will go about it that way too. Some may feel this is "elective" but those of us that need it to save our lives of course feel different. My employer does not need to know, I'm sure that's the legal side of things. Thanks!

My take on our surgery is that it is only elective as to when we do it. If it was elective my insurance wouldn't have covered it. That doesn't help those whose insurance was a pain, but truly elective surgery, in my definition, is like lasik eye surgery. If I don't have it will I go blind? In my case, alrhough I am severely near sighted, it can still be corrected with glasses or contacts. Will it likely save my insurance money to pay for lasik for me so I don't need super expensive glasses or contacts? Probably, but I will still be able to see. With WLS, If I don't have it, will my weight kill me? Statistically, yes and sooner rather than later.

It is not our employers' business what is in our medical files. That's one of the reasons for HIPAA. We can be asked to prove we are ill, but we don't have to tell them what with.

Good luck!

pam

I used FMLA and short-term disability to cover my time off of work and protect my job while I was gone (I took off five weeks and worked from home for one week). Are those options at your job?

My team has recommended that I take 4-6 weeks off work to recover is this normal? I bought a vitamix so I am ready for pureeing all my foods. Also theydidn't tell me specifically how long to take the boost diet before surgery, they just said 2-3 weeks so if its my choice I guess 2 weeks as apposed to 3, what say you?

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the recovery process has a degree of complexity to it. First, you will be unable to drive until all narcotics from surgery and pain relief are out of your system. (In my case, I rejected all pain medicines after I left the recovery room. But I may be an exception.) Second, taking your Vitamins throughout the day, giving proper spacing between them, not mixing the calciums with the irons and also giving yourself the injections to prevent blood clots will take some time to master. Then you integrate in the fact that you have to space out your fluids, your meals, your Protein. It will take you awhile to get in the groove. You may be too optimistic for 7-10 days.

Since you have a sedentary job, you will probably want to break several times a day and just walk a little. Climb stairs. Move around the office.

After surgery, I found that I could no longer swallow. I had to split most pills and Vitamins or crush them. You might want to rely on premixed Protein shakes because you cannot take a blender to work. Since you sit a lot, you might want to buy a gel cushion for your chair, once your weight begins to drop off dramatically.

Also I would recommend that you walk for 30 minutes each day from now on. It really will help the recovery process go smoothly and will substantially reduce your pain levels.

Edited by bigmoe99

I had my surgery on April 13 and will be returning to work on April 20. So I will have been out exactly a week. I did have the remainder of this week off but I can't stand sitting around. I have a low stress desk job. I feel like I could have suffered through a work day today but am glad I still have today and tomorrow. I guess it depends on how your body recovers.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My dr said 2 weeks at least most is 4

~Jenn~

Surgery date 5/18/16