Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New band and Disneyland. Can I do it?

I am a mom of 4. My oldest 12 and youngest just turned 2. I am in nursing school full time. I have always done everything w/ my husband and kids but I got invited to go to Disneyland with 2 girlfriends w/o kids. I have been saving $$ and have been so excited for months. Our trip is planned for October 7. I have never even been on rides at Disneyland, I have been pregnant everytime weve gone LOL and this time, its all about having fun. But....I just scheduled my surgery and it will be on September 17. Obviously my priority is this surgery. I will be 3 weeks post op and I have no idea what to expect. Will I feel well enough to walk for 2/3 days and go on rides or should I cancel the trip? I dont want to go to Disneyland AGAIN and no be able to have tons of fun. What do you think?

I did major coaster at 6 weeks post-op. I was fine after 2 weeks, totally back to normal. My only concern would be finding food there. We did Disney World for 5 days without my daughter right after surgery. I had more energy for that trip, then any other trip pre-op. ~Mandy

It is difficult to judge exactly how you will feel at 3 weeks post op. I'm now 8 weeks post op and feel great. My DH and I took our kids to Disneyland when I was 6 weeks post op and I felt great. However, the biggest problem I had was meals. I found it extremely difficult to eat in the park. Just about everything came with bread, a bun, etc. If you can live on a salad you will probably be ok because most places do have salads. (I just can't do a salad every meal!) I tried the first day to eat scrambled eggs in a crosaint (sp) and I got one bit in and it got stuck. So I bagged that and went for fruit and yogurt. Perhaps you can take things in with you that are easy to eat, yogurt, pudding, jello's etc.

You'll probably be fine to ride the rides (consult your dr before you go) but meals could be quite a challenge.

Good luck!

I figured finding food would be hard as I will probably still be on mushies of something (dang, I wish I would get my paperwork outlining the diet!) so I thought I may have to pack some food with me...Thanks for your reply!

I recovered quite well, but I'm not sure I would have been up for Disneyland 3 weeks out. You could probably do the walking around bit, and ride some of the more gentle rides, but not things like Space Mountain that throw you around a bunch.

You definitely want to pack food. It's pretty much sodas and burgers there.

That's another plus to Disney World, there are tons and tons of food places there. I second the ask your doc, they know best. ~Mandy

Have fun!!

My surgery is 8/27 and we're going to Disney on 10/21.

We're staying off site in a townhouse (with a full kitchen) so I plan to bring food with me. I don't want to have to worry about finding something to eat in the park.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Where are you staying? We’re staying at Windsor Hills. 5 miles from Disney – 3br 3bath Townhouse with a private splash pool. It was cheaper than a hotel!!<O:p</O:p

My doctor does the first fill at 6 weeks - that would put me at about a week before my trip. I'm thinking I should wait for my first fill until we get back. I don't want to have to worry so much about food choices and I hear flying makes the band tighten up. <O:p</O:p

What do you guys think?<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I would wait for the fill. Fills have a habit of "kicking in" 3-10 days after they are done. I can eat anything I want right after a fill then several days later I am too tight to swallow Water. ~Mandy