Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight should I be losing?

I was sleeved on 3/23 and am currently on puréed foods for another week. I'm just wondering how much weight I'm supposed to lose at this point and a few weeks and months post op. Any tips would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Everyone loses differently, there really is no formula. I had a lot of muscle density (ex-athlete, football lineman) even though I started pre op at almost 390lbs. Because of that density I have a daily maintenance and break even point of 3800 calories. I lost 70lbs in 2 months post op and I'm still losing fairly rapidly though it has slowed a bit.

My doctor said the expected loss on average is 8-10lbs per month.

It's really different for everyone and there's no exact science to tell how much weight any given individual will lose. My nutritionist told me to aim for 1-2 pounds lost per week but she said it would be much quicker in the beginning. I had 77 pounds to lose total and I've lost 54 so far (I'm 6 months post op). I lost about 25 lbs the first 6 weeks and it's slowed down from there. I now lose on average 1-1.5 lbs per week.

Edited by CourtneyLouise

The only magic formula is to get your Protein, exercise and Water in. Your body will dictate the rest. The trend will be downward, although there will be lots of ups and downs along the way. You will stall, then you will lose. As long as you keep the faith and get your Water and Protein in, you will be trending the right way. Also, don't fret about the numbers - go by how you feel, clothing sizes, etc. I obsessed for months at first on the numbers and it only stressed me out. Once I accepted that I could control inputs - food, water, exercise, etc. but not how much or how fast I lost, I was able to relax a bit. At this point, I have none of my pre-surgery co-morbidities and I feel better than ever. Whatever number I end up at is just that, a number. What really matters are the major changes I have made in my eating and life-style that will allow me to stay healthy.

There's no "supposed to". Especially this early out. 90% of WLS patients experience a slow down or a complete stall around the 3 week mark. So you have that to look forward to. The stall can last as little as a few days to a few weeks. Right now I HIGHLY recommend you stay off the scale completely and just focus on hitting your Water and Protein targets each day, taking your meds/vitamins, and walking a little every couple of hours.