Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a strange question ....

For about the last 3 months ... I've been having this feeling like my stomach is eating itself ...

Is that the new "hey I'm hungry" feeling?

It's quite the feeling ...

And I'm probably not explaining it right ...

But I have a Protein shake for Breakfast between 7am - 8am ...

Then about 10:00 - 10:30 that feeling starts ... so I'll have a handful or 2 of peanuts ...

Seems to quiet the monster ...

I eat a P3 around noon ....

Usually around 3:00 it starts again ... sometimes I'll have a handful of peanuts or a yogurt ... ( not always )

Between 4:00 - 5:00 ... I have another Protein Shake ...

Then dinner when I get home around 6:30 ... usually a hot dog ( seems I have an obsession right now ) I mean seriously ... I think about it all the way home ...

Night snack is usually 3 bites of a Protein Bar OR a SF fudgesicle ...

So I'm thinking the feeling IS the new "hey stupid, feed me" feeling ...

Does anyone else have an opinion / advice ?

My "hungry" feeling has changed to an "empty" feeling. It isn't the same as before surgery. Are you taking an acid reducer? That may help.

@@RILEYSMOM22 ... Maybe "empty" is a better word ... you're right ... it FOR SURE isn't the same as before ...

Before my "hey stupid feed me" ... Never stopped!

And yes, I take a Pepcid every morning ... doc had to give it to me to take along with another medication after surgery ...

Thank you for your reply!

Edited by MrsKarenC2008

So you are what, 9 months out? Sounds to me like you aren't eating enough. First of all, I know that when I go more than 2-3 hours without eating, I start to get hungry. At 4 hours I start to get hangry. By my vague calculations, that's only about 1000-1100 calories of food. Do you track your food to know exactly what it's coming out to? 1100 doesn't seem like much at 9 months out. I think I was close to 1400-1500 calories a day by then.

@JamieLogical I was thinking the same thing ... Seems like I don't have much going in ... but what I do take in ( at the time I take it ) satisfies me for a few hours ... and I cant take much at one time ...

I've tried so hard NOT to snack ... to be diligent about 3 meals a day ... but then that feeling hits me and I just eat a little something to get through ...

And no, I don't track ... I know I know ... shame on me :(

Don't slap me too hard :)

@JamieLogical I was thinking the same thing ... Seems like I don't have much going in ... but what I do take in ( at the time I take it ) satisfies me for a few hours ... and I cant take much at one time ...

I've tried so hard NOT to snack ... to be diligent about 3 meals a day ... but then that feeling hits me and I just eat a little something to get through ...

Don't feel bad about not tracking. I didn't track for the VAST majority of my weight loss phase either. Tracking is just a tool to help figure out what's going right or wrong. If things are moving along, I don't see any need to track daily. I started tracking again recently because I'm training for a half marathon and started losing weight again (I'm in maintenance), so I'm using tracking right now to make sure I'm eating enough. Like I said, just a tool to help assess when assessment is needed.

Were you told by your surgeon or nutritionist not to snack? If I didn't snack, there is no way I could get in enough calories to sustain me. At best I eat about 200 calories at a time. If I REALLY push the carbs or fat I could maybe get up to 400 calories in one sitting, but I would have to sacrifice Protein. Eating only 3 times a day, even if I could get in 400 calories each time, that would only be 1200 calories day. Over the past 37 days (since I got my FitBit Blaze), I have averaged a calorie burn of 2366 calories. Remember, I'm training for a half marathon. Snacking is the only thing keeping me alive!

But even in my "rest" days from my half marathon training, I burn a good 1800-1900 calories. So 1200 still would be nowhere near enough.

My nutritionist initially told me to eat 5-6 times a day. Now, I'm eating more like 7-8.

@@JamieLogical I was thinking the same thing ... Seems like I don't have much going in ... but what I do take in ( at the time I take it ) satisfies me for a few hours ... and I cant take much at one time ...

For me, I have to eat every few hours in order to get in all of my Protein. If I only ate three meals and no Snacks I would 1) be short in Protein and 2) be pretty hangry most of the time.

I have to track my food or I would have no idea whether or not I was meeting my protein target. My memory is so bad I can't remember what I ate 10 minutes ago.

@JamieLogical @@Inner Surfer Girl Doc/NUT didn't specifically say NOT to snack ... but stressed that I should try to get in my requirements at meal time ...

but like you ... there is no way that is possible ... there just isn't enough room in there to pack it all in ... I'd be SO miserable ... and knowing the feeling of misery ... wouldn't want to eat at all ...

I'm also trying to add new and different Proteins ... it's getting so all I eat is meat ... which is fine ... I love meat ... between meat and Protein shakes and my few bites of a Protein Bar ... I'm doing okay there ... but switching it up is good ....

I feel great ... have energy ( more than ever before ) ... I am more active and mobile ... I mean this is WONDERFUL!

I'm just trying to figure out the new signals I'm being sent and what it all means ...

and asking you guys is the BEST thing ever :)

I think your stomach is hollering because it's not getting real food. My program dropped the shakes and Protein bars at three months. If you simply just don't know how to cook - learn how. There are videos about everything on You Tube.

If your program calls for 60 grams of Protein, that is 20 grams of protein for three meals and 10 grams of protein for two Snacks. If your calorie limit is 1,000, that's 250 calories for three meals and 125 calories for two Snacks.< /p>

A good place to start is to try to not eat anything made in a factory. That leaves you with a world of lean meats and veggies (that's like baked chicken breast with green Beans, not chicken and dumplings as a gravy over mashed potatoes). Yeah, my Southern Indiana and Kentucky people eat that.

Rather than eat an apple cinnamon Protein Bar, eat a sliced apple dipped in a tablespoon of Peanut Butter with some cinnamon sprinkled in it.

Put your thinking can on and get creative. So.....put away "factory edibles" and let your tummy and internal body systems absolutely REJOICE with real food coming through.

I wish you the best.

I think your stomach is hollering because it's not getting real food. My program dropped the shakes and Protein bars at three months. If you simply just don't know how to cook - learn how. There are videos about everything on You Tube.

If your program calls for 60 grams of Protein, that is 20 grams of protein for three meals and 10 grams of protein for two Snacks. If your calorie limit is 1,000, that's 250 calories for three meals and 125 calories for two Snacks.< /p>

A good place to start is to try to not eat anything made in a factory. That leaves you with a world of lean meats and veggies (that's like baked chicken breast with green Beans, not chicken and dumplings as a gravy over mashed potatoes). Yeah, my Southern Indiana and Kentucky people eat that.

Rather than eat an apple cinnamon protein bar, eat a sliced apple dipped in a tablespoon of Peanut Butter with some cinnamon sprinkled in it.

Put your thinking cap on and get creative. So.....put away "factory edibles" and let your tummy and internal body systems absolutely REJOICE with real food coming through.

I wish you the best.