Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ontario to cover lapband surgery in 2008

Sooner or later the government will pay for WLS. I think $600 is not bad for a 1/2 hour procedure that is relatively uncomplicated and requires not a great deal of training to master, ususally provided by the manufacturer of the device. Our taxes will continue to pay the hospitals, DRs, nurses etc as it does now and has since 1948, thank goodness. With the increase in obesity in our society it is bound to happen. There will still be people who will pay to go to the front of the line and there will still be private clinics because they make alot of money. The public system will be for those who are in greater need and it will be first come first served. Lapband hasn't been around that long and the word is just starting to get out. People are going to demand it but it will take time. Many of us won't wait and lots of us simply can't afford it. Alberta is setting a precident this year by doing and paying for a 100 cases. Other will follow.....in time.

I think $600 is not bad for a 1/2 hour procedure that is relatively uncomplicated and requires not a great deal of training to master, ususally provided by the manufacturer of the device.

That's incredibly ridiculous. Wow... maybe I should have Inamed sign me up for a course, and I can start doing it too. I've been playing video games for years, so I've got the hand-eye coordination. I guess all the training these surgeons do learning not to KILL US laparoscopically, doesn't count.

WLS IS covered in Canada. RNY/bypass/DS, whatever you chose, whatever you want to call it, is free for all... just find someone to do it, and wait the 5+ years it's gonna take to get it done.

Alberta has not set the precident. I don't know if there's any prov. doing it longer, but New Brunswick has been covering it (just not the cost of the band) for at least a couple years now.

Sooner or later the government will pay for WLS. I think $600 is not bad for a 1/2 hour procedure that is relatively uncomplicated and requires not a great deal of training to master, ususally provided by the manufacturer of the device. Our taxes will continue to pay the hospitals, DRs, nurses etc as it does now and has since 1948, thank goodness.

I probably shouldn't wade in on this one again, but I am really appauled at the lack of respect and understanding of what is involved in providing safe medical practice. A case cost of $600.00 does not remotely begin to cover the costs and depreciation of equipment, time for the physicians, nurses, clerical staff, let alone the costs associated with electricity, rent, property taxes etc. Then there are the costs associated with sterizilizing equipment, cleaning of rooms, costs of disinfectants, aneasthetics, etc. etc.

Physicians choose products based on data provided by years of experience, as well as evidence based literature. While the basic "how to's" of inserting a lapband may be provided by the vendor of the product, it does not account for the fact that physicians who do this procedure have the requisite knowledge to ensure they don't incorrectly cut the muscles, tissues and organs while they are doing the procedure.

Hospitals and clinics struggle to keep costs in check while providing quality products and care.

I don't disagree that this procedure should be covered by the health care system - however, the decisions on what procedures, medications, products to cover come under provincial jurisdiction and that varies from province to province. Our physicians in Ontario are working at raising awareness of the need for improved accessibility to WLS procedures - having patients, family support those efforts would be helpful.

Minimizing the skill required for a physician to successfully and safely perform all of the manual tasks required to insert a lapband is not helpful.

Cindy

I totally agree with you Argon. It is a very skilled procedure and 600 is a kick in the ass for any dr to do this.

Alberta is setting a precident this year by doing and paying for a 100 cases. Other will follow.....in time.

That "100 Alberta Lap-Band" is a farce, and I am willing to bet that no more than 50 band are going to be placed this year. You see, AB health care bought 100 bands, but they do not have the capacity in the system to perform the surgeries. The problem is there is no capacity to perform the pre-op care, the surgery, or the post op care with fills, nutritional counselling, or psych counselling.

The health care system in Alberta is in rough shape due to the influx of people looking for work. Here in Calgary many high risk pregnancies are sent out to BC, Sask or even into the States because there are not enough beds in hospitals or NICU.

With things like this happening weight loss surgery, which is still viewed as a lifestyle issue, takes a back seat

I have started the referal process for a panniculctomy, It looks like I am about 18-24 months before I get surgery (fingers crossed).

Alberta is not setting a precident, rather they are talking some good game. When you get all the facts, we are no further ahead than other provinces in terms of lap bands.

Andrew

I am in the business and work with surgeons every day. I am in no way minimizing their skill but stand by what I say....and as far as I am concerned I live in a free country and am entitled to my opinion. Our hospitals are funded by the government and work pretty darned well. You should check out "Sicko" by Michael Moore. If you were in an emergency situation you would end up in the hospital up the street with a plain old general surgeon who would know what to do and how to do it....in most cases. I suggest some of you lay off the video games too....just a suggestion.

Cheers

Oh my. Nasty. Yes everyone is entitle to an opinion. I did watch sicko and all i can say is i am glad to be Canadian.