Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my process back in December. It took almost 2 months for my insurance to give the ok. Then I schedule my appointment which is coming up on 3/5 to see the doctor. I have lots of emotions, now that it is getting closer to my appointment. To the point that I am having dreams about it good and bad. Anyone else have this just for the first doctors visit? I really hate to see how I am with a surgery date.

I also have a concern about not being able to have it done. I smoke, Will that have an impact on getting surgery done?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I was self-pay, in Tijuana so I didn't have the issues you faced. However, I can tell you that you will not be able to continue smoking if you want the surgery. Most docs today will have tests run to check you for nicotine to make sure you have indeed quit before surgery. They may tell you they won't do the surgery if you test positive.

As a former smoker myself (April 10 will be my 3 year anniversary of quitting), I would strongly recommend e-cigs/vaping. It's what got me to quit. I would advise you go ahead and transition to e-cigs now. Then you can mange your nicotine level, stepping down each week until you get to "0mg nicotine" at which point you will have beat the addiction. Since I was self-pay I didn't have to undergo this and I vaped literally until 30 minutes before my surgery. I resumed vaping on day 3 after my surgery.

You will definitely have to quit smoking in order to have surgery.

Ty you for the responses. I kind of figured that. Way to go Proud2b 3 years that's great. I will definitely try the e-cigarette again.

@@Proud2BMe

That's how I quit, too! I even lost interest in vaping. Almost 2 years smoke free!

@@Proud2BMe

That's how I quit, too! I even lost interest in vaping. Almost 2 years smoke free!

Congrats! Yeah, I truly believe vaping is the easiest way to quit and it will save lives.

I am a smoker as well, i had to quit since they tested me for nicotine. Google it, usually it stays in the system for up to 5-6 weeks. Depends on how much u smoked. Vaping also could show up on the test. When i quit i went to vaping but it was 0 nicotine. And after a week i didn't even want to vape. I have another test on Monday when i go in for my pre op, surgery on the 18th. Last test i did was in December. I have a coworker who smoked 1-2 packs a day and he had surgery on Tuesday. They tested him too, he quit for 3 weeks and passed. All depends on ur metabolism. I hate when ppl tell me that i need to quit, I'm the type of person that... Until I decided i need to quit i wont listen to anyone. This time I'm doing it for me. Good luck i know its hard.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you darinak. I too hate when people tell me that I need to quit. But I am also doing this for me. Getting healthy and being here for my kids as long as I can. That is my motivation.

Why do they say you must stop smoking? I'm just asking because I'm American but living n dubai and they never mentioned this to me. And I'm a smoker. I do want to try n stop. But no one ever mentioned it to me. ( I'll be smoking my cig waiting on a reply! Lol)

I started my process back in December. It took almost 2 months for my insurance to give the ok. Then I schedule my appointment which is coming up on 3/5 to see the doctor. I have lots of emotions, now that it is getting closer to my appointment. To the point that I am having dreams about it good and bad. Anyone else have this just for the first doctors visit? I really hate to see how I am with a surgery date.

I also have a concern about not being able to have it done. I smoke, Will that have an impact on getting surgery done?

Thanks

My surgeon will not perform the surgery for anyone who isn't smoke free and is not committed to remaining smoke free.

I am not sure how long before surgery folks have to quit smoking, but I know he requires a pre-op nicotine test.

The reasoning is that smoking inhibits healing and can damage your stomach as far as I remember.

Best of luck quitting smoking. You CAN do it!

Why do they say you must stop smoking? I'm just asking because I'm American but living n dubai and they never mentioned this to me. And I'm a smoker. I do want to try n stop. But no one ever mentioned it to me. ( I'll be smoking my cig waiting on a reply! Lol)

It's recommended that smokers quit prior to ANY sort of surgery. Here's a good article explaining why:

http://www.quit.org.au/about/frequently-asked-questions/how-does-smoking-affect-my-body/smoking-and-surgery.html

On top of that, nicotine can cause stomach ulcers. We just had a woman posting on here very recently because she had developed ulcers due to smoking post-op.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/363195-smokers-beware-i-have-an-ulcer/