Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is everything sweet?

Just off the phone with my bariatric liaison who is 8yrs post sleeve. She said the reasons things taste so sweet is that I am most likely in Ketosis. An 8 oz glass of skim milk or diluted juice should have enough sugars to knock that out. Wanted to share in case this might help someone. Never a milk fan but I will try and she said this will count toward my liquids. I have found pouring my Water in a small shot glass type measuring cup I picked up at World Market seems to be easier to get more liquid in. I'm sure it's psychological, but it is helping.

I'm exactly 7 days post op right now and had the same problem. Still having spasms and cramping but it's so much better when I use warm fluids. I haven't had a sweetness problem but I've been able to get 60+ oz Water and 60 gms Protein daily thanks to whey isolate (version that doesn't have fillers etc) so I mix 4 oz Water (warm) with 1.5 scoops 30 gms and can get it down within an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What kind of no filler Protein did you use? I have the unjury unflavored tub and a scoop and half of that looks like it would just make a paste in 4oz of water. I did finally get 40gm of protein down over the course of a day via a Premiere Protein shake and an Oikos zero vanilla yogurt (15gm protein per cup!). Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions, I plan on trying them all seeing that my protein requirements for the next three days almost doubles per my post op diet plan.

You have to go to GNC or somewhere that sells like bodybuilder type supplements. It's just PURE protein isolate. I use the GNC brand but just ask someone. When it's pure it's not a thick consistency AT ALL. It's a bit thicker than water. It's so pure. I don't think people realize this is available. It's the only way I can see getting 60 gms. I could get 90 if I didn't want Soup for lunch! Lol

And as far as the temperature goes, I just put on the hot Water from my sink which ends up being just very warm. No clumps or anything.

One thing I will say though is the unflavored brand I have makes everything have a weird taste, and I don't like it. Does anyone know of any unflavored that doesn't actually change the flavor or is that impossible?

Hey all! Just got back from the doc. He took off the waterproof bandage feels sooooo much better! Everything looks good yay! As for liquids he said you should be drinking the recommended 64oz a day. When I said I could barely do half he said to sip slowly throughout the day like every 15 minutes and I should be able to get by. I haven't been doing this so I'm going to try. He said fluids is most important and to not worry too much about the Protein just yet but recommended I should be working my way up to at least 60g. As for the surgery taste he said its normal and to just Water things down a lot. I plan to return to work Monday and he said that's fine but to just pace myself and don't over do it. Good news is I'm down 12 pounds and counting! I'm not going to worry as much as I have been. I still have about a week of just full liquids left before I can even start mushy food so I'm thinking just one step at a time and I will eventually get there. Hope this helps! We can do it!

Hey all! Just got back from the doc. He took off the waterproof bandage feels sooooo much better! Everything looks good yay! As for liquids he said you should be drinking the recommended 64oz a day. When I said I could barely do half he said to sip slowly throughout the day like every 15 minutes and I should be able to get by. I haven't been doing this so I'm going to try. He said fluids is most important and to not worry too much about the Protein just yet but recommended I should be working my way up to at least 60g. As for the surgery taste he said its normal and to just Water things down a lot. I plan to return to work Monday and he said that's fine but to just pace myself and don't over do it. Good news is I'm down 12 pounds and counting! I'm not going to worry as much as I have been. I still have about a week of just full liquids left before I can even start mushy food so I'm thinking just one step at a time and I will eventually get there. Hope this helps! We can do it!

Yeah, I was told to just try to get in 1 ounce every 15 minutes while awake and even taking teeny tiny sips, I was able to do that. Glad to hear everything else is looking good and you are cleared to go back to work. I think that one step at a time is the only way to get through the days/weeks immediately post-op, so you are approaching it the right way!

I just tried strained cream of mushroom. Bleh. Lol never again! I need full liquid ideas!

I just tried strained cream of mushroom. Bleh. Lol never again! I need full liquid ideas!

I wasn't a fan of the strained cream of mushroom either. My favorites in the full liquid stage were Campbell's Cream of Shrimp and Progresso chicken cheese Enchilada.

I am 3 days post op and still having spasms/nausea moments when anything hits my stomach. I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone could expect you to consume 64oz of liquid and 60gm of Protein in this tiny swollen sleeve. I am trying and getting nauseous with anything other than non-carbonted Hint Water (has zero everything). The sweetness of everything makes me ill just thinking about it. I tried some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth in the hospital and just typing those words my stomach flipped a little. I was never a sweets person really, more a carb lover. Are there any Protein supplements, full liquid ideas that aren't sweet? Even the Vitamins and supplements are sweet and really hard to get down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same issue. Sweet, sweet, sweet. I began to think that the entire world thought that the only thing that obese people eat was sugar! Gag me!!

I did two things:

First I added Nutritional Yeast to broth. It really adds a "bready" and savory flavor boost to broth. Plus, 2Tblsp add 7g of protein.

The second thing I did was to take a cucumber, a Tomato and fresh basil along with a Tbsp. of Vinegar and olive oil and two Tbsps. of Nutritional yeast--put it all into a blender and blended the dickens out of it until is was pure liquid. This "cocktail" was my reward for doing two days of sweet crap. :) It cleansed my pallet and gave me a light at the end of the sweet tunnel.

I will add, with any change in your program, PLEASE talk with your nutritionist first.

@@doppelganger,

Congratulations on your surgery!

At least know that it is normal for everything to taste too sweet, even if it isn’t fun. It’s nothing to worry about.

At this point, unflavored Protein powder might be a good idea. You can put it in broth if you want a salty taste instead of sweet taste. The other suggestion is, as was mentioned, to keep sipping! Just do what you can all day long. This stage doesn’t last too long. It’ll get better soon. The ironic thing is that the better you do with this stage, the faster it’ll pass.

Thank you so very much for all the information and advice. I tried many of these suggestions. Up until yesterday I hadn't quite felt "myself" and like a flipped switch I was "me" again. I still did not meet my Protein or liquid goals yesterday, but I feel better and (TMI) keeping an eye on the clarity of my urine. Things are good and I have gotten in more protein today and liquids from discovering that chewing on Sonic's ice is my new fave thing to do!

Now can you give examples of strained cream Soups?

As far as soups I've just bought the canned creamed soups (chicken, mushroom etc). I was hoping to hide some unflavored Protein Powder in them but there's no way in the world to eat enough Soup to waste the powder on, 2-3 small bites and you're full. They don't taste right to me either, maybe something post op. I found the easiest way to get Protein in is to mix 1/2 a scoop Unjury unflavored (~10gm) to a cup of Oikos zero of my choosing (~15gm). Eating two of those throughout the day is 50gm. My dietary plan allows yogurt during the full/thickened liquid phase.

As far as soups I've just bought the canned creamed soups (chicken, mushroom etc). I was hoping to hide some unflavored Protein powder in them but there's no way in the world to eat enough Soup to waste the powder on, 2-3 small bites and you're full. They don't taste right to me either, maybe something post op. I found the easiest way to get Protein in is to mix 1/2 a scoop unjury unflavored (~10gm) to a cup of Oikos zero of my choosing (~15gm). Eating two of those throughout the day is 50gm. My dietary plan allows yogurt during the full/thickened liquid phase.

Thanks for this idea. I am four days post op and just can not do the Protein drinks. In two days I can have yogurt I'm going to have to get some unflavored protein. Does it make it really thick and gritty?

As far as soups I've just bought the canned creamed soups (chicken, mushroom etc). I was hoping to hide some unflavored Protein powder in them but there's no way in the world to eat enough Soup to waste the powder on, 2-3 small bites and you're full. They don't taste right to me either, maybe something post op. I found the easiest way to get Protein in is to mix 1/2 a scoop unjury unflavored (~10gm) to a cup of Oikos zero of my choosing (~15gm). Eating two of those throughout the day is 50gm. My dietary plan allows yogurt during the full/thickened liquid phase.
Thanks for this idea. I am four days post op and just can not do the protein drinks. In two days I can have yogurt I'm going to have to get some unflavored protein. Does it make it really thick and gritty?

The Unjury powder makes it a little thicker but not much and not gritty at all. When I first tried I used a whole scoop and it was horrid, I don't advise that! =) I eat mine with a fork taking tiny bites and it takes a while to get it all in, but it works. I can't stomach the shakes post op either.