Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking through a stall.......Advice Please!

I have only been stalled for about 1 - 2 weeks but it's hard and scary to have the scale move and then come to an abrupt stop. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on things they did that were successful at breaking the stall and restarting the weight loss? I know stalls are normal and everyone's bodies are different but did anyone have things that worked for them?

I've had a couple of stalls so far. I have found that what has worked for me is to try and put it out of your mind (easy to say, hard to do - I know!) and to just listen to your body. I found that each time I've been stalled I've also been more hungry than usual. I tried eating a little more (within my doctor's guidelines) and moving more -- that seems to have worked for me. I find that as you get closer to your goal, the scale moves more slowly. One last piece of advice -- focus on what you have lost so far and not on what you still have to lose -- enjoy your progress (and don't be hard on yourself)!

Stalls happen. Usually it means your body is adjusting to its new normal. Have you been measuring yourself? This is usually the time I notice the largest drop in clothes size and measurements. For example, I am just over 4 month out. I had lost 20 lbs both month one and two, and 15 lbs. in month 3. Month 4 I stalled for three weeks and "just" lost 5 lbs. All in one week. During that time, I lost 9 total inches from my body, compared with the 13 inches I lost during month 3! I also dropped another clothing size. In fact during month for 1 went from a 20W pants to an 18 (no W) and still only lost 5 lbs. I think sometimes we focus too much on the number on the scale and not enough on the health and wellness benefits we are also gaining. One of which is loss of fat.

Just stick with the plan, get/keep moving, and you will notice the difference.

pam

Because each one of us is unique, I am certain that some will disagree with me. The first thing I always dos when encountering a stall was to review my food log from the past couple of weeks, then do an honesty check. Was I really logging everything? I have a weakness for lifesaver wint-o-green mints, I wasn't logging them and they are 20 calories a piece.

Then I work on eating slowly. My doctor insists that if you eat small (marble sized) bites, slowly over a 25 minute period, you will stay full for 5 1/2 hours. He says it takes that long for your stomach to tell your brain you are full. It really works.

My doctor also does not believe in drinking your calories and that all Protein should come from food, not drinks. This is very controversial among WLS patients, but it has worked for me. I haven't had a Protein Drink since week 2 post-op.

Then exercise, try to increase your exercise even if only by a few minutes. i don't know how often you weigh, but give yourself a couple of days between weigh-ins to help you avoid frustration! Good luck and keep us posted!

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, you are restricted to a very small volume of food, therefore you need to use Protein supplement (Protein shakes, Protein Bars, Protein powders) in order to keep from damaging your body. Your daily protein requirement is met by a combination of the amount of protein from supplements combined with the amount you consume from meals. As you progress further from surgery, your meal volume increases. This gives you an option to downsize the amount of Protein Shakes you are consuming and the calories they contain. That is provided you concentrate on eating high protein meals. As my meal volume increased, I went from 3 protein shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1 and finally none. This broke my stalls.

Thank you so much for the advice. I have not done a good job of keeping measurements but I should probably step away from the scale for a few days. I have increased my exercise and intensity of exercise so I have been wondering if I should be eating more calories but that is such a scary thing for me. It's such a mental thing to break through years of restriction being the answer for weight loss and now trying to figure out what my body needs in order to lose and then what will it need to maintain. I find that to be very overwhelming and frustrating some days. I will feel " full" but not even eat half of a portion and then the next day feel like I am starving in between meals after finishing 3 ounces. I feel like I am up against this time line before my body goes into maintenance mode and this fear that it will happen before I have lost all that I want to lose. For now I will praise my current success and stay focused on my overall new lifestyle!