Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saying Hello From Michigan!

I just wanted to say hello to all fellow lap-band patients here in Michigan! I'm new to these forums, and hoping to get to know more people who've been had this surgery.

I have not been lab-banded yet, I'm in the "testing phase" before I can get a surgery date. My doctor is Dr. Deol, I've been to her seminar, had my first consultation, and I can just say she's wonderful! I feel whatever lies ahead for me, I'm in good hands with Dr. Deol. She really stays on top of the latest lap-band technology, and everyone in her office is so kind and helpful.

Anyone near the Waterford / Pontiac area of Michigan?

Hi Rose Wolf,

I live in Commerce, so very close to you. I just had my surgery on July 9th by Dr. Deol and I can't say enough great things about her. As a matter of fact, tomorrow I go for my first fill. Rebecca was in her office when I first started the whole process, but Debbie is just as wonderful. They took care of everything I needed as far as insurance goes, and I really am enjoying the monthly support group she requires... well worth it! Good luck in your process and let me know how things go!

Karen

Nice to meet you Karen! Congratz on your successful surgery with Dr. Deol!:clap2: 20 pounds lost so far for you, that's excellent. I met Rebecca briefly when I first started in Dr. Deol's office, but have been working with Debbie the most, she is awesome. How did the pre-op diet work for you? Was it difficult?

Maybe I'll see you sometime in the near future at the support group meetings!

ooooh, that pre op diet was the worst! I hate to admit it, but it was. By the time my two weeks were just about up, I think I was only drinking 3 of the opti fast shakes and eating one of the bars ( I found the chocolate bars best). I also got the ready to drink strawberry shakes... much, much better than the packets that you had to mix yourself. My poor family had to listen to me complain, but I think by the end I could have cared less whether I ate or not.

Yeah, that pre-op diet doesn't sound fun! I think I would agree with you, to get the ready-to-drink stuff, rather then to mix it up. I just hope there is a lactose free formula, milk and me do not get along at all! I'm very lactose-intolerant. I have spoken to the nutritionist, and she is going to look into it for me. You only had to do two weeks of this pre-op diet? Mine will be three weeks . . . I wonder if it's different from patient to patient.

Hello! Dr. Deol is my surgeon too! I'm over in Royal Oak. Love love love Dr. Deol. :)

Keep in mind that the ready-to-drink Optifast is quite a bit more expensive than the kind you mix up yourself. I didn't really think it was worth it. Also, the chicken Soup is so good. That is what kept me sane during my 4 weeks of pre-op diet.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress!

Maria

Thanks for the tip Maria! I love chicken Soup, it'll probably be one of my favs too. I'll have to consider the costs of 3 weeks ready-to-drink Optifast . . . if its better and will keep me on the diet, I might try it. I just keep telling myself any of this is worth the money, considering the cash I've dumped down the drain for all those other wasted diets and wasted time. Sometimes I wonder if I had never dieted at all, would I be this heavy now? It always seems when you gain weight back after a diet, those fat cells bring friends!

I'll keep in touch! I love this place! I just wish I could get things moving faster . . . gotta wait until next Monday for my Cardiology appointment. One day at a time! Good time now to be learning :)

I ended up buying one case of the strawberry ready to drink opti fast shakes and the rest that I had to mix myself. I still have about 3 boxes of the stuff you have to mix in the cupboard. Every once in a while I will grab one of the packets, mix and use... for some reason they aren't as bad now as what I thought they were when I had to use them. I know you can add flavorings to them to help. In the end though, it was all worth it.... I have no regrets about my band:).