Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op testing before RNY

Hello, my surgery date is May 25, 2016 pending insurance approval. I was wondering what kind of testing is done during the pre op appointment? My surgeon says that I don't need to have an EKG or anything done so I'm curious what are other surgeons requirements. Thx in advance

Are you getting a revision? If not I am really surprised you aren't getting a full work up. Most of us have sleep apnea tests, vials and vials of blood taken, cardiologist clearance, psych clearance etc. this is major surgery and shouldn't be taken lightly.

At my pre op testing, all I had was a blood test, my weight taken, temp taken, and the world's shortest EKG. Literally he hooked it up and as soon as it started tracing on the paper it was over. That was it. I've been relatively healthy inspire of my weight, so he didn't feel any more tests were needed.

Are you getting a revision? If not I am really surprised you aren't getting a full work up. Most of us have sleep apnea tests, vials and vials of blood taken, cardiologist clearance, psych clearance etc. this is major surgery and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I know right! That was my theory also. I really thought that I should be doing more. I'm not a revision patient.

I too find it odd there isn't a full workup. How old are you and what is your BMI? Perhaps he considers you relatively healthy?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I had blood, urine, an ekg and gastric thing (can't remember what it was called)

I too find it odd there isn't a full workup. How old are you and what is your BMI? Perhaps he considers you relatively healthy?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I'm 33 and my BMI is 45. I'm pre diabetic and insulin resistant. I've done a sleep study, psych exam, fitness evaluation and I will be seeing the nutritionist for the 6th time next week.

I had mine down state at St. Vincent's in Carmel IN. Last week and I had a EKG a stool/urine test, pulmonary test and a test with barium drink to Check out GI and they took 7 vials of blood

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by kharness74

Hi Bella,

I'm also surprised you're not having more done but maybe it just comes down to a matter of preference for the surgeon or bariatric hospital? I too had a full work up: ekg, upper gi test, pulmonary function test, blood work, chest x ray etc. My surgery date is May 23! Let me know if you need anything or just want to chat

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App