Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Abdominal Swelling

Hi,

I had a quick look/search on this topic.

I am 22 days post Gastric Sleeve op.

Finally starting to notice my abdominal swelling slowly going down.

I looked 11 months "pregnant" after my op, today look 7-8 months "pregnant"

Some posts mentioned 6 weeks on, plus walking it off.

I wonder what other members' experiences were with this post op abdominal swelling.

Thank you.

I am not aware that I experienced any particularly (autocorrect read that as: reticular lay) noticeable abdominal swelling but I started at an extremely high BMI. What does your surgical team advise?

I just re-read this an autocorrect really butchered it. Correcting now.

What did your dr say?

Today I had lots of swelling, like the size and shape of a large bagel around largest incision. It hard, tight and makes walking really uncomfortable. I made sure really worked my fluids today and walked for several small walks, seems to just gotten tighter. Heading to bed early, it's such a pulling sensation it's hard to stand up straight.

I will call dr if it gets worse or doesn't start clearing up in the next day or two, but just wondered if it's common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi csawesome,

I too initially had a couple of hard/lumpy nodules at some incision sites, and they are gradually getting smaller. These were very small lumps, size of little finger's nail bed.

What concerns me is the Size of your swelling/lump. It is large.

Please call your surgeon ASAP!

Hope you feel better soon.

My abdominal swelling is the all over type, that made me look 11 months pregnant, post surgery.

I was told it will go down in 3 weeks.

It is over 3 weeks now, so I will chase this up, however I read that some people have it for over 6 weeks.

This type of swelling is mainly due to the surgical gas, Fluid retention, Constipation, limited mobility.

Age factor may play here as well.

My abdo swelling is slowly diminishing.

In your case, is it also hot to touch (? infection ?)

Please get it checked out ASAP

Best wishes to you.

No actual abdominal swelling BUT I, too have a couple incision areas that are hard, tight and very painful one week post op. Nurse said that's normal. Both are the two larger incisions. Rolling over in bed is a nightmare, and since I'm a side sleeper, I've begun putting a pillow on the side of my belly like I did when I was pregnant lol. It helps. One thing I notice is if I sit for any length of time and stand it really hurts. Walking is actually easier and I stop when I begin to feel it pull and burn- usually by the one mile mark.

Hoping it stops soon. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if yours dissipates!

Hi LisaMergs,

My worst pain was upper left abdomen, whilst in the hospital, at the large drain site.

This almost completely subsided, once I had the drain removed.

Today, 24 days post op, I have 2 tiny lumps, smaller than 1/2 pea size, on both mid left and mid right abdomen.

They were bigger before, and bit painful in the first week or 2, post op.

I read that some wounds/scars can become kelloid scars ..... larger, harder and bit painful.

Best, if it is an ongoing concern, is to speak with the surgeon.

After all, we pay huge money for the op, and need to have answers for any concerns, before they possibly become complications.

Need to watch out for leaks, peritonitis, fever, any ongoing discomfort, as some of these can be life threatening.

So, start dialling ladies!

Good luck and best wishes!

PS, during first 2 weeks post op, I had to brace my stomach whenever I felt a sneeze or cough coming on. It was painful, and I did not want to damage my incisions or staples.

I will call in the office in the morning. The swelling has gone down except large patch above belly button. It's still sensitive, a pulling pain. Oddly if I hold it tight I seem to be fine to walk. I have had pretty bad split abs since my first pregnancy, so I am wondering if it has something to do with that. Oh well,I will see them tomorrow, hopefully it's nothing.

Nurse practitioner said the pulling sensation is likely just from the incision and the swelling is just part of healing. Said I am likely pushing it too hard, slow down, rest, keep an eye on it if anything seems to be getting worse. But we looked at my before surgery belly pics and I had a bulge above my belly button, it just looks more obvision after incision pulled surrounding skin tight. I go back Wednesday to meet with her and surgeon for 1 week check up.

Me too. Thanks for the support