Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Like A Failure

So today would have ended day 7 of my 3 week liquid only diet. My surgery date is April 13. I had been really impressing myself and didn't cheat once until now. Other than a constant headache and being overly moody I had been ok. Well Tonight I made love to a couple pieces of pizza. I felt so incredibly shameful from the moment the thought entered my head. I was surprised to find out that the pizza didn't even taste good (I ate it anyway) and that all my cravings had been for nothing. I know I won't cheat again. I know I will be able to take down the last 2 weeks like a boss. But I still feel terrible. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be telling my surgeon this happened?

I ate two pieces of string cheese today. It happens (my liquid diet is 10 days - surgery 4/4).

Honestly it sounds like you still have time to undo the damage with two weeks left. All you can do is forgive yourself and move on. Just keep swimming! It's hard!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Prior to RNY Bariatric Surgery, I would recommend 2 goals.

1) Walk 30 minutes each day. It will help the recovery process go smoother.

2) If you haven't cut out caffeine from your diet, do so now. I went cold turkey on my 5 diet coke a day habit when I began the 6 month supervised weight loss and exercise program. I suffered from breaking the caffeine habit with severe headaches and body aches that lasted a week. This is something you want to do early. You do not want to compound the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of the surgery.

As far as cheating by eating a piece of pizza, forgive yourself, move on and avoid doing it again.

James you are such an inspiration. Thanks

I haven't started my liquid intake yet for 2 weeks. I go back to my doctor on April 5. I'm scared to death that I'll freak out and do the same thing just drinking liquids only. How do you even function with 600 calories a day of liquid/protein.

I second @@James Marusek on the walking and caffeine. I did both and it helped immensely. I actually was so terrified of going through caffeine withdrawal after surgery that I gave up my 25+ year Diet Coke Habit before I even had my first appointment with the NUT! I did it slowly, taking a full month, weening myself off a little at a time. First I drank less, then I drank smaller containers. Until I stopped. I still had another 2 weeks of headaches, but now I am great.

As far as messing up, liquids are hard. You messed up. Its good that you feel bad because it means you really are trying, but let's face it, we have lots of issues to overcome and slipping up is going to happen. The only thing you can do is acknowledge your goof, IMMEDIATELY get back up and get back on track. The longer we wait to get back on track, the harder it becomes and that's what causes weight gain after surgery. "well I've already messed up so I'll just X." Don't beat yourself up, just get back into the plan. Mistakes happen. Its how you recover that is the measure of success.

Good luck,

pam