Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm still a ways out for surgery.....it should be sometime in May. But I thought I'd try to start getting off caffeine, so this morning my coffee was basically half and half. I mix on pound of decaffeinated coffee with one pound of my favorite flavored coffee......and now I have a pounding headache.....How long does it usually take to get off caffeine and not have the terrible withdrawal headaches?

Good God caffeine withdrawal was worse than quitting smoking for me.

But I did it. I stopped all soda and sugary drinks.

I'll have a half caff sugar free coffee every now and then but I'm cutting that out soon too. My surgery is May 10th!

Why do you have to cut out caffeine/coffee? I haven't but I have to try to drink extra Water.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I gradually quit coffee first then the nicotine then the alcohol (just a social drinker) just so that I was able to focus on recovery 100%. It was roughhhhh but so totally worth it. Each took about a week to 2 weeks to ease off of. The cravings eventually go away you just need to stick to it! Good luck!

Most all diets I've been on in the past say "no caffeine" but I've never followed that......I've always said "I know I'm addicted to caffeine, and I'm willing to live it"....haha....Anyway, with the previous diets I never really saw a reason to have to cut the caffeine.....But with this I can certainly see that because caffeine is a diuretic it should be cut, especially at first....I think you'll have a hard enough time getting enough Fluid in without having a diuretic in your system......So that's the main reason I see for stopping.....is there anything else? Any post op folks out there that didn't cut out the caffeine??

Thanks! Smoking I took care of almost 10 years ago...Thanks God!!! good job for you taking care of all three monsters and once!!!

I gradually quit coffee first then the nicotine then the alcohol (just a social drinker) just so that I was able to focus on recovery 100%. It was roughhhhh but so totally worth it. Each took about a week to 2 weeks to ease off of. The cravings eventually go away you just need to stick to it! Good luck!

I know it's a diuretic but it's all I've got now lol I need my coffee! I am going to try half Decaf so I can continue to drink it. I'm already struggling with smoking that I can't take coffee away right now.

Be strong! :-) However, if you have to give in to one it's probably the least destructive. I'm going to try doing it gradually....I mixed Decaf with regular equal parts this morning......and each week I'll try to use less and less of the regular....That's my plan!!

I know it's a diuretic but it's all I've got now lol I need my coffee! I am going to try half decaf so I can continue to drink it. I'm already struggling with smoking that I can't take coffee away right now.

Most all diets I've been on in the past say "no caffeine" but I've never followed that......I've always said "I know I'm addicted to caffeine, and I'm willing to live it"....haha....Anyway, with the previous diets I never really saw a reason to have to cut the caffeine.....But with this I can certainly see that because caffeine is a diuretic it should be cut, especially at first....I think you'll have a hard enough time getting enough Fluid in without having a diuretic in your system......So that's the main reason I see for stopping.....is there anything else? Any post op folks out there that didn't cut out the caffeine??

Umm, the coffee being a diuretic, is a myth. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

The acid it produces in the stomach slows healing of the incision though. However since I was taking meds to minimize stomach acid, it didn't effect me. Now getting diet Mountain Dew out of my system was really hard.

Good luck @@kmorri keep us posted please.

I didn't have a problem giving up carbonated drinks at all but just can't give up my coffee.

I didn't have to cut out caffeine however, my NUT told me it's an appetite stimulant and it would be wise to limit or stop using caffeine.

ohhhh that's good news.....I see my NUT for the first time next week. We shall see. :-)

I didn't have to cut out caffeine however, my NUT told me it's an appetite stimulant and it would be wise to limit or stop using caffeine.

To kick my caffeine habit (Diet Coke) I went to iced tea for about a week. Still has caffeine but not as much. At that point, I went straight Water.< /p>

Edited by determinedtolive

My husband had a lap band 5 years ago. His surgeon said caffeine suppresses Hunger and when it comes back it is stronger. I'm getting off caffeine/coffee because I'm anemic and caffeine blocks Iron absorption. My sleeve is April 5.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using the BariatricPal App