Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Dr. Kirshenbaum question

Hello

I have been reading through over 100 pages of the other Dr. K thread and the posts are wonderful. Since forums produce friendships, a lot of the posts weren't directly about being banded by Dr. K., but about general topics that friends discuss ~ which is totally great, but I was having a hard time reading all the pages!

I was wondering if those who have been banded by him could tell me about the experience..the pros, the cons. I had been told to not even consider a surgeon who has performed less than 500 procedures, and I think he's at a tad over 150. Since I am self pay, and live in Colorado about a 6 hr. drive away, it seems like he could be a great doc for me. But, I worry about how many bands he has placed.

Should I worry? How did your surgery and after care go? What does he charge for fills?

Please just give me any thoughts you have! I am getting ready to apply for a loan, but I have to have a doctor! My other consideration is a great surgeon in Mexico....

Hi want~

I had my LB done by Dr. K and I have had no regrets and no problems at all.

*My experience~I was banded May 18th, I experienced no problems with post op, no gas, very little pain, I was shopping the day after surgery. I did have some (very little) liquid that formed around one of my incisions, but that was nothing. Dr K. asked me to return in a week to double check, and everything was fine. He is patient, kind, knowledgable and a very well respected surgeon (I have a good friend that is a physicain, he reffers his patients to Dr. K).

"should I worry?" We all do, it is normal. My experience with Dr. K has been outstanding and I would reffer him to anyone who is interested in the LB.

pros and cons~well, the pros are many...he is good at what he does. We have had a couple girls that needed to contact him, he returned calls within minutes! I have tried to reach one of my Dr's on a couple occasions and didn't get a return call for hours. He has a great staff. His price does not stop at placing the LB, it includes a nutritionist, a monthly support group, three months of after care (he charges $15.00 for a fill after that). I would love to see later office hours or weekend hours, or maybe cloning him and his staff so that could be possible???

I hope this helps, I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Dr. K and his staff. I wish you well on your journey and keep us posted on your decision!

Hi, Want2bmeagain! Congrats on your decision to be banded. It's a huge one. Dr K doesn't just do lap band surgery. He is a regular surgeon. He is one of the leaders, pioneers and perfectors of all laproscopic surgery. He has changed and perfected his band placements to the point of really no errosion or slippage.

I did allow myself to get too full with one of my fills and it was a nasty reaction! I called him at 8 in the morning and he returned my call at 8:05. I'm not kidding. He had me meet him at the hospital that he was performing surgeries at that day at 10:00, which really was as soon as I could possibly make it. (I'm in the Springs and his surgerical center is in Parker) My problem was fixed right then, right there. Just like that.

The first three months of adjustments and fills are free, whether that be three fills or 10. After that you pay $15.00 for a fill. If you just go in for an appointment after your three months and you and he decide that you don't need a fill, you pay nothing.

There are a few things that are a factor, though. It's a very busy office. So if your appointment is at 1, the chances of you being seen at 1 are slim ("slim" get it? Hee hee!) (sorry :)). Probably partly because of the amount of people he sees in one day and the fact that he is very responsive to his patients and if someone (like me!) calls with a problem, he calls them back. It all takes his time. Plus if a consult needs more info and takes an hour of his time, he gives it. I, however, have never had any kind of doctor appointment, regardless of office or reason, that I was seen within an hour of my appointment. That's just how doctors' offices are. (I've seen some people just blow a gasket over this!)

Also, his waiting room and consult rooms are small and not overly fancy. I know, this sounds fairly petty in the realm of surgical experience and care, but believe it or not, someone on the board was put off by this. So if ambiance and size of the office matter to you, take that into consideration. There are no fancy chandeleirs, vaulted ceilings, or plush leather couches to wait in. It's a doctor's waiting room. Period. I have heard rumor though that he is planning to move his practice. I don't know how much truth is in that. It's just what I've heard. I wouldn't care if it was in the basement of a factory. I've had the best care that I could have ever hoped for. But that's just me. I'm not an aesthetics person.

Having banding with him also gives you a monthly support group free of charge. (like Mal said) It can be very helpful for some people. (not sure how much you would utilize something like this as 6 hours is a long time to drive!) I have made the hour and twenty minute drive for it. Its just a matter of where you are mentally with your weight and what effects a large weight loss will have on you.

My surgery was April 13th, (a friday!!! lol) and I recovered very quickly. I've had serveral previous surgeries (unrelated, years ago) and I have never come out of anesthesia so easily or recovered so easily. I did have one issue. I had a reaction to the adhesive that is used for the tape over the incisions. Man did I itch! But with my sensative skin, I would have been surprised if something didn't happen.

That's about it. I've tried to be partial about the info, but I'm so pleased with his office, that it's hard for me not to be prejudicial about it. There is no psych eval or huge panel of medical tests to go through. He is the final decision on whether you recieve it though. You know, the certain criteria needed to have obesity surgery. BMI, health factors, stuff like that.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Hope that we can help! :bounce:

OH YA~~Disclaimer...this is just my opinion and my experience. No references to other's or their experiences is intended or implied. (hee hee! Sorry, just being silly)

Also, who told you to not pick a surgeon who has not performed at least 500 lap bands? Wonder where that kind of stuff comes from?

Have a great day! :)

I'm being banded by Dr. K on Sept 5th. I have done the research and I personally feel very comfortable with my decision. At several points, I was considering a doctor in Mexico and I know several people that had surgery with that practice. But I could never just get comfortable with going out of the country. Logically it should be no big deal, but I was concerned about getting after care and what if I have a problem?

I started making phone calls and after I talked with the staff at Dr. K's office, I knew that I had made the right choice. It feels right to me. The amount of lapband procedures didn't really factor into my decision at all but after I found out how responsive he and his staff are, I think it's a minor detail. Quality over quantity maybe?

Good luck!!!

Jenn

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 11th. My little doubting thomas brain had a freak attack at the date, at first! But, it will be a new beginning for me!

Where are you from?

I am on the west slope of Colorado, about a 5 1/2 - 6 hr. drive away!

Yippee, we'll almost be banster twins!

I'm in Florida so I will be flying in... no driving for this chickie!!

I need a bandster twin! I'm getting the jitters but I told DH to remind me why I'm doing this because I knew I would start having second thoughts.

little~I think a lot of us have second thoughts. I know that I did. Just remember all the failed diets, losing the weight was not a problem for me, keeping it off was! This band will help with that. If you have made it this far in the decision process, I think you are ready. We deserve this chance to make our lives a healthier one! It is a big life change, but it is all for the better! I still second guess myself as to why I did this and it takes a few seconds before I recall just the 25 pounds ago. I already feel better, I can't wait for the rest of the weight to come off. It is hard work but the harder it is the more rewrding it is!! Hang in there, wee are all here to hold your hand through this!!

Just remember all the failed diets, losing the weight was not a problem for me, keeping it off was!!

Oh my gosh Mal... exactly! I have a million reasons to do it and very few not too and being scared shouldn't even show up on that list!

I completely agree that harder work is sweeter in the end. We just had an adoption placement fail and we recognize that it just wasn't meant to be. It was hard on our hearts but when we have the baby that is meant to be ours, it will be a joy like we have never known.

Same with this... I'm tired of feeling badly about myself that I can't seem to hold on to my weight loss successes. It always comes back plus a little more. Not the bonus I expected! I'm ready to do something for me because I've always put myself last. No more, this is my time. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why it wasn't the right time for our adoption. I will be a better parent for taking care of myself.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I wish I could meet you all at the RR tonight.... :)

I wish I had found this band when I was your age! I too could think of many reasons to have the surgery done and few not to. Most of the not too's had nothing to do with me but my famiy, friends, work and the $$, well in the long run I finally took the plunge and told myself that I was worth it, every cent, every issue!! I very rarely did anything for myself and this was all for me and I tell ya' it made me feel so much better about myself. I always put others before me, this felt good and I am glad that I did it. Being scared is totally understandable, we all were...and still are, it is a process that takes a lot of work, the emotional part is tough!!! But we can do it!!!! We are all here for each other and that is a huge bonus!!! Come here to vent, learn and just be understood!!! We can do this!

Bless ya'

Mal

Dr. K. was awesome! I had absolutely no problems. He is professional and curtious. I have never had a problem reaching him with questions or getting paperwork for my insurance. I also have a long drive to see him...9 hours, but it was well worth the trip.

Wow - I admire you driving that far! My limit in the car is only 4 hours and therefore I can only make it to Tallahassee! However, I do think if that was the only way I could get to Dr. K, I'd deal with it!