Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major Hairloss..Any suggestions?

Dr. Mike

I had a Total Hysterectomy about 15 years ago and discovered Bio-Identical Hormone replacement about 3-4 years ago. I was on estrogen only from the day I had the hysterectomy until I started the compounded hormones.

I started losing my hair about 3 months after Lapband surgery. (6/27/08). I continued with my compounded hormone gel but I stopped taking the DHEA supplement when I was switched to chewable Vitamins because of the band. I was worried about it getting stuck. Could this cause the Hair loss I am experiencing?

I just had new saliva testing done and I am waiting for the results to come back.

Deb

Most people seem to lose their hair around 4 months past surgery. There doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do about it. I took everything under the sun that was suggested to me before I even had surgery and for one year. I had plenty of Protein and all the things anyone suggested. It just seems to happen, and nobody can explain it. I lost half my hair but it's coming back in. I lost hair from 4months post op until 1 year. It stopped falling out at about one year from surgery.

I have been on bioidentical hormones for about 3 years and never stopped for surgery before or after surgery.

Most people seem to lose their hair around 4 months past surgery. There doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do about it. I took everything under the sun that was suggested to me before I even had surgery and for one year. I had plenty of Protein and all the things anyone suggested. It just seems to happen, and nobody can explain it. I lost half my hair but it's coming back in. I lost hair from 4months post op until 1 year. It stopped falling out at about one year from surgery.

I have been on bioidentical hormones for about 3 years and never stopped for surgery before or after surgery.

Yep, what Denise said. I did it all, Biotin, Vitamins, Protein, shampoos, the works. It stopped when it stopped.

Worked like that for me too. My health has been great, but I have had 2 surgeries in just a few months, and my hair is falling out again.....dammit anyway!

Kat

So it seems to be as a result of surgery, and not Vitamins or anything else. Maybe surgery is just a shock to the system. I know my hair fell out when my husband died suddenly. Another shock to the system.

I also experienced this.. it seems almost everyone does. I had my surgery about 17 months ago and I too lost handfuls in the shower each morning and had to clean my brush out every time I brushed my hair. It is just now starting to come back, i.e., little baby bangs growing in and 2-inch hairs sticking up on top of my head. I'm so relieved I'm seeing some progress in the right direction, so hang in there. One thing that has really saved me and helped me not to stress out about it on a daily basis and having to face public with scalp showing is a product I found and use anytime I leave the house. It looks like eyeshadow but comes in colors to match your hair. It comes with a brush to stipple it on the scalp as well. I promise if you get this product, it will help you feel better about this problem while your waiting for it to come back. Go to QVC.com and search for Joan Rivers hair products. It's only about $25 or something.. not too bad. Mine has lasted for months already, and I haven't even hit the bottom of the compact. Please try this.. I am so happy I found it.

HELP,my hair!I was banded June 2012 and had one fill.I also lost 2/3 of my hair.I know it may sound crazy to complain about hair.I had thick long to my waist.It was falling out so fast,hairballs the size of golf ball or bigger after a good brushing.It now is so thin I do not want to leave the house.If I empty my band will the hair lose stop?I do not want to go bald.

I take Biotin 10,000 mcg daily. My hair was always thin and got even thinner with my rapid weight loss. I also use Sammy thickening hair Shampoo sold at walgreens red bottle. I have seen a difference but its a slow process. The biotin I take 5,000 mcg twice daily its called spring valley.

If you had major surgery and experienced excessive Hair loss about three months later, the anesthesia combined with the surgery itself may be to blame for your hair falling out. This is because general anesthesia and major surgery put your body under physical stress, which can alter the life cycle of the hairs on your head, and cause excessive hair shedding that shows up several months later. Hair loss related to major surgery, however, is temporary, and your hair will grow back over time.

OTHER things to CONSIDER:

Stress,Genetics, Thyroid Disease,Medications,Anemia, Pregnancy, hair appliances,

Very strict weight-loss diets can also cause noticeable hair loss, which commonly occurs about three months after losing 15 pounds or more of body weight.