Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to deal with work about surgery? LOA? What do I do?!

Hi everyone -

I work in retail as a manager. I am on my feet for 9-10 hours a day and am constantly on the go at work. I was reading in some of my literature about surgery and such that some people take out of work for as much as 5 weeks.

I know it depends on my dr. and what he suggests. Can anyone give me some insight into how long they were out? I'm 23.

My boss keeps asking me about how much time i'll need off of work and shes even gone as far as telling me I can't have my surgery the month of April because she has to go on vacation and has a lot of meetings. I guess I'm just looking for some input about how everyone let their work know they are leaving.

Did you need to take a leave of absence? I'm full of questions regarding this part of the process.

Thank you in advance :)

Krystal

Sorry to hear your boss is being difficult. I don't know about your doctor, but I wasn't able to schedule my surgery on my time period, it was scheduled based on the availability of my surgeon. Also this is not a vacation for you, but a life altering medical event.

Of course everyone recovers at a different rate, and I can only tell you my opinion. The first 2-3 weeks will be the worse. You will be tired, weak, and will sleep a lot. It is amazing how quickly your energy will drop, it is also during your first 4 weeks you will watch your weight just drop rapidly, so it will be important that you are eating, drinking, and taking meds as your doctor instructs you.

Working on your feet 8-9 hours a day is going to be way too much for your body. You need to remember that the first few weeks you will be on liquids and then pureed and very soft foods. Your main source of Protein will be in the form of powder or Protein drinks. If you could possible go back week three part time that might be doable as well as have the ability to sit and rest if needed. I teach and there is no way I would have been ready to return to work full time until after week four when I was able to start eating some real food.

Edited by TLW

Hmm, do you work for a small business or national company? If you work for a larger company I would call your HR department and find out what their policy is. They should be able to assist you and tell you what you need to do to get the time off. Unless this is small family business you are probably covered by FMLA (Family medical leave act). If you are covered you have some job protection. Also this federal law does not care when your boss is taking vacation. I took two weeks off and I have a desk job but I'm also 20 years older than you. Talk to your surgeon, but plan for minimum of 2 weeks. Also tell your boss that estimate is assuming you have no complications and you are healing well.

It's a national company. She told me that March wasn't ideal because we had inventory so I took my time because I understood that. Now she's saying that April isn't great because her vacation and another managers vacation. I don't want to get in trouble or anything because I need to have this surgery at a time that is not a good time for her.

I've printed a bunch of paperwork about requested a LOA. Once I get approval from BCBSIL (hopefully this week) I will reach out to my HR rep.