Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help with Losing 10lbs for Surgery Consideration May 10th. How did you do it?

Hi Everyone!

First, I have to admit, I have for months stalked this sight religiously, and have literally devoured every ounce of information, advice and feedback that so many people have benefited from, it seems like a real community here ! So I finally worked up the nerve to ask a few questions.

A little about me .. I'm turning 35 in June, I have two kids. As Cliche as it may sound , I have struggled w/ my weight for the last 15 years or so (after giving birth). My highest weight 274lbs almost 3 years ago, and today I'm 237. I used phentermine for 8 months and lost 75 lbs. However I have gained 37 lbs back since being off of Phen since August of 2014 , and I hate it.

I started the process for weight loss surgery through my insurance ( NJ Horizon Health) in December with Dr Paragi in West Orange for the Sleeve. I have completed ALL the necessary testing, minus the test for sleep Apnea test which I'm waiting to be called for by the sleep center (they are waiting for insurance authorization).

I have sooo many questions but I'm going to just ask a few today in hopes not to overwhelm anyone that can offer any help.. I appreciate you and your time in advance. Thank you !

First, Has anyone used Dr. Paragi from West Orange ? What was your experience from beginning to end?

A more important question, is I have to lose 10lbs quickly ... To be considered for the sleeve , any advice ? pleaseee ..How did you do it ?

Thanks again everyone !!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

First, Has anyone used Dr. Paragi from West Orange ? What was your experience from beginning to end? No, sorry...can't help there...

A more important question, is I have to lose 10lbs quickly ... To be considered for the sleeve , any advice ? pleaseee ..How did you do it ? Is this a requirement by your insurance or surgeon? I am no nutritionist, but most surgeons require a liquid diet prior to surgery...no reason why you couldn't do it now. For example, on mine...I drank 3 Protein shakes a day for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner...in between I had 4 oz Dannon Greek yogurt, 4 oz FF cream chicken Soup (strained), SF Jello or SF pudding....using these variations as 3 Snacks in between. I did this for 10 days and lost 15 lbs.

First, Has anyone used Dr. Paragi from West Orange ? What was your experience from beginning to end? No, sorry...can't help there...

A more important question, is I have to lose 10lbs quickly ... To be considered for the sleeve , any advice ? pleaseee ..How did you do it ? Is this a requirement by your insurance or surgeon? I am no nutritionist, but most surgeons require a liquid diet prior to surgery...no reason why you couldn't do it now. For example, on mine...I drank 3 Protein shakes a day for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner...in between I had 4 oz Dannon Greek yogurt, 4 oz FF cream chicken Soup (strained), SF Jello or SF pudding....using these variations as 3 Snacks in between. I did this for 10 days and lost 15 lbs.

Thank youuu !! I initially didn't have weight to lose .. My BMI is 42 now, and i have no comorbidities. But since the process began , unfortunately I put on about 5 lbs, the Doc wants me to lose just the 5 by next week ! March 29th to submit the paperwork to my insurance

:( .. I say 10lbs to demonstrate to him and me that I can do it and will be successful after the wls.

Here are the basics:

Drink Water until your eyeballs float.......no drinks with calories.

Do not eat anything made in a factory.

Eat lean Protein first, and lots of it.

Eat more veggies than fruit....the greener the better.

Don't become part of the sofa.

Good luck....and visit us often. Just keep in mind that opinions and tact will vary, but we mean well.

A more important question, is I have to lose 10lbs quickly ... To be considered for the sleeve , any advice ? pleaseee ..How did you do it ?

I put myself on a modified "liquid diet" ... I had a Protein drink for breakfast, a greek yogurt for snack, a cup of Soup for lunch (pureed, all liquid like Tomato, cream of broccoli, etc), a Protein Drink for snack, and whatever Protein and vegetable my family ate for dinner. I also filled the rest of my day with Water (crystal light flavors or Powerade zero flavors) .... at least 64-76 oz per day. I stepped up my walking to 2 miles every other day.

I lost 26lbs pre-op.

Good luck!!

@@BBweightlossjourney .... I would just stick with the 5... you don't want you bmi to go lower that 40 or you will not qualify. I was at 39bmi when i started.... NO co morbids. With the coaching of my friend, she said... Chris you need to make sure you are at 40bmi before you step foot in the dr office. So i got geared up and put on a few. Walked in 40bmi. did all the test and qualified for Band...2009.

I made sure i brought in all my old WW sheets that showed losses and gains through the years... my GYN visits that showed the weight progression.... and my GP's weights... All this proved that i could lose, but would also gain it right back plus a few more.

Might i ask why your dr wants you to lose 5lbs before he will approve you? Most of the time, it's the insurance that dictates what Hoops you need to jump through.

If you still have to lose.... cut out your carbs... no bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta.... and move as much as you can.

I lost 28lb prior to surgery though this was over about 7 weeks. I substituted a Meal Replacement shake for breakfast and most lunches. Had an occasional edamame or black bean bean salad or green salad for lunch instead of a shake. Ate fish, skinless chicken or turkey for dinner with veggies. Had varying piece of fruit each day. Avoided carbs. Was eating anywhere from 800-1200 calories per day.

Here are the basics:

Drink Water until your eyeballs float.......no drinks with calories.

Do not eat anything made in a factory.

Eat lean Protein first, and lots of it.

Eat more veggies than fruit....the greener the better.

Don't become part of the sofa.

Good luck....and visit us often. Just keep in mind that opinions and tact will vary, but we mean well.

Thank you soooo much !!

Might i ask why your dr wants you to lose 5lbs before he will approve you? Most of the time, it's the insurance that dictates what Hoops you need to jump through.

I really hate these Drs that make people jump through extra hoops, and "earn" their surgery and "prove" their dedication. It is just an ego trip for the Drs. The fact she already lost weight on the pills before should be enough. Her weight is so low, she is going to lose and get denied by insurance.

They are professionals being paid for a service, the fact that some of them try to treat their patients like children or pets, is so annoying.

@@BBweightlossjourney .... I would just stick with the 5... you don't want you bmi to go lower that 40 or you will not qualify. I was at 39bmi when i started.... NO co morbids. With the coaching of my friend, she said... Chris you need to make sure you are at 40bmi before you step foot in the dr office. So i got geared up and put on a few. Walked in 40bmi. did all the test and qualified for Band...2009.

I made sure i brought in all my old WW sheets that showed losses and gains through the years... my GYN visits that showed the weight progression.... and my GP's weights... All this proved that i could lose, but would also gain it right back plus a few more.

If you still have to lose.... cut out your carbs... no bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta.... and move as much as you can.

Thank you so much for your help !! The Doc wants me to lose the 5lbs because I gained it while in his care and he says, since its documented the insurance may believe that his efforts were not valued because I gained and thus can gain after too , which could result in my denial. :(

I lost 28lb prior to surgery though this was over about 7 weeks. I substituted a Meal Replacement shake for Breakfast and most lunches. Had an occasional edamame or black bean bean salad or green salad for lunch instead of a shake. Ate fish, skinless chicken or turkey for dinner with veggies. Had varying piece of fruit each day. Avoided carbs. Was eating anywhere from 800-1200 calories per day.

Thank you so much !!

I really hate these Drs that make people jump through extra hoops, and "earn" their surgery and "prove" their dedication. It is just an ego trip for the Drs. The fact she already lost weight on the pills before should be enough. Her weight is so low, she is going to lose and get denied by insurance.

They are professionals being paid for a service, the fact that some of them try to treat their patients like children or pets, is so annoying.

I agree ... I'm so worried of being denied since I only have the high BMI .. I'm going to do everything I can despite my Doc's ego but I do sure wish he wouldn't give me this pressure. Thanks again !

You can low carb for 7 to 10 days and drop that 5lbs, just the little bit of fat you lose and the Fluid from your liver should do it.

i would replace 2 meals with Protein shakes. This also helps you learn which shakes you like prior to surgery.

You can low carb for 7 to 10 days and drop that 5lbs, just the little bit of fat you lose and the Fluid from your liver should do it.

i would replace 2 meals with Protein shakes. This also helps you learn which shakes you like prior to surgery.

Thank you ! I have been thinking about starting to try to different Protein Shakes, Thank you again !