Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 22 years old, 5'8", weight 276 pounds. I have been trying to loose weight for the past year hardcore and only lost 32 pounds. I'm at a stand still. My doctor brought up gastric bypass surgery and since then its been on my mind nonstop. I'm just not sure about all the complications. I mean, don't get me wrong the surgery is WELL WORTH IT. I am just scared of the complications from it. Not really the lifestyle change but more of getting put back in the hospital for worse health reasons because of the surgery. PLUS, TO TOP IT ALL OFF, I HAVE NO SUPPORT SYSTEM!! NONE!!! that makes it so much harder for me. I just need either words of encouragement, advice, stories, etc. Something....anything will help. I want all the knowledge I can get. TIA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I was pretty worried myself, in the beginning. But then again, the tiiiiiiny risk of serious complications from surgery is a small fraction of 1%, whereas the risk of serious complications/death from obesity is enormous. When you look at it like that, it becomes not only downright safe compared to staying obese but also lifesaving, which it is!

You could die from a random aneurysm in 30 seconds, or get hit by a car, or eat something that gets caught in your trachea and chokes you to death. In fact, the chances of these things happening are actually significantly higher than the chance of you having complications you can't heal from during the RNY.

In the end, you've got to compare the tiny risk of something bad happening vs. the huge probability that something bad will happen if you do nothing due to the toll obesity takes on our bodies.

Good luck with whatever you choose. We're all here to help. :)

Also, I was 23 when I joined my bariatric program and had surgery. I am now 24. Even as young as I am, I wish I had done this sooner. I can't tell you how often I read here or hear at my support group the same regret: "I wish I had done this when I was young, before I destroyed my joints/knees/heart/etc". Now is the time. :)

I was pretty worried myself, in the beginning. But then again, the tiiiiiiny risk of serious complications from surgery is a small fraction of 1%, whereas the risk of serious complications/death from obesity is enormous. When you look at it like that, it becomes not only downright safe compared to staying obese but also lifesaving, which it is!

You could die from a random aneurysm in 30 seconds, or get hit by a car, or eat something that gets caught in your trachea and chokes you to death. In fact, the chances of these things happening are actually significantly higher than the chance of you having complications you can't heal from during the RNY.

In the end, you've got to compare the tiny risk of something bad happening vs. the huge probability that something bad will happen if you do nothing due to the toll obesity takes on our bodies.

Good luck with whatever you choose. We're all here to help. :)

Thank you so much for the uplifting words. You are so right. :)

Also, I was 23 when I joined my bariatric program and had surgery. I am now 24. Even as young as I am, I wish I had done this sooner. I can't tell you how often I read here or hear at my support group the same regret: "I wish I had done this when I was young, before I destroyed my joints/knees/heart/etc". Now is the time. :)

I would probably say the same. To be honest, if I had support I wouldn't be thinking this hard about it. Its just a lot worse deciding what you want to do when u have no support from family or friends...... Just tough..... I'm a pleaser. I like to please others before myself and I think that's kicking me in the butt right now. Cause the most important thing is my health but I want to please others first.... And get their "OK".

I had surgery because my obesity lead to a number of medical problems including high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, severe acid reflux (GERD) and a few others. Surgery was one way to nip that in the bud. My weight fell like a brick but my medical conditions went into remission even faster, almost overnight. Here is my before and after photo taken at the 6 month mark. And here is a link to my experience with RNY gastric bypass surgery.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Operation.jpg

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I had surgery because my obesity lead to a number of medical problems including high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, severe acid reflux (GERD) and a few others. Surgery was one way to nip that in the bud. My weight fell like a brick but my medical conditions went into remission even faster, almost overnight. Here is my before and after photo taken at the 6 month mark. And here is a link to my experience with RNY gastric bypass surgery.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Operation.jpg

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! I don't have any health issues YET except BMI is to high. I can't fit into six flags rides, fair rides, some chairs, I just feel huge and hate how I look. I want to be confident about my body and I don't think that will ever happen unless I have this surgery. Plus, want to try for kids soon too, and I don't want to become diabetic while pregnant.....

I understand where you're coming from as I'm also a people pleaser. But, that's what got me in this situation in the first place. Not taking care of myself and using food for comfort while feeding everyone else. It's hard to learn how to put yourself first, even when you're single.

Here's what I did- I began asking myself what I would tell my best friend if she had this problem or these concerns. If I can't be as kind to me as I am to a friend, then something is wrong.

Also, thinking about the enormity of the journey at the beginning is the very best way to get overwhelmed. Looking at the mountain, it seems impossible. Put your fears on hold. Don't ignore them, just set them aside for a bit and make an appointment with a bariatric surgeon. Then, put one foot in front of the other and do just the next thing. Most people have 6 months of education and medical support prior to surgery. You can always change your mind at some later point in the process. For now, just see what they have to say.

I was so overwhelmed and scared at first, worried about all the what ifs. Now, I'm on the liquid diet and surgery is March 31st. I'm not even close to being done but I've changed so much durning the process and have been working hard at regaining my own power. I listen to lots of Mary J these days.

Good luck and know that you have all the tools inside of you and trust that whatever you need along the way will be provided to you if and when you need it. You just have to let go. There's an old saying that you can't receive the blessings waiting for you if your hands are full. That's the way God/the universe/whatever you believe in works.

I understand where you're coming from as I'm also a people pleaser. But, that's what got me in this situation in the first place. Not taking care of myself and using food for comfort while feeding everyone else. It's hard to learn how to put yourself first, even when you're single.

Here's what I did- I began asking myself what I would tell my best friend if she had this problem or these concerns. If I can't be as kind to me as I am to a friend, then something is wrong.

Also, thinking about the enormity of the journey at the beginning is the very best way to get overwhelmed. Looking at the mountain, it seems impossible. Put your fears on hold. Don't ignore them, just set them aside for a bit and make an appointment with a bariatric surgeon. Then, put one foot in front of the other and do just the next thing. Most people have 6 months of education and medical support prior to surgery. You can always change your mind at some later point in the process. For now, just see what they have to say.

I was so overwhelmed and scared at first, worried about all the what ifs. Now, I'm on the liquid diet and surgery is March 31st. I'm not even close to being done but I've changed so much durning the process and have been working hard at regaining my own power. I listen to lots of Mary J these days.

Good luck and know that you have all the tools inside of you and trust that whatever you need along the way will be provided to you if and when you need it. You just have to let go. There's an old saying that you can't receive the blessings waiting for you if your hands are full. That's the way God/the universe/whatever you believe in works.

Wow you just brought tears to my eyes!!! It is like what you were saying was exactly how I feel. Thank you so much for taking time to write that. That helps me a lot!!!! I just have to do what's best for me. If everyone I love loves me, they will be happy for me. I just have to soul search and figure out what I WANT for MYSELF!! thank you so much! :)

I was 23 when I had it and am 24 now. Luckily, I haven't had any complications and it is so worth it.