Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver shrinking diet.. Help!

Hey everyone,

I am on day 2 of the liver shrinking diet and oh man it's a struggle already. Stomach wise I am content but my brain thinks I want /need more. I'm craving foods Ive never craved before all because I know I can't have it. Can anyone share their experiences with the liver shrinking diet and what they ate? Maybe if I have other food options I won't feel like it's such a struggle, I need options!!!! Currently, I have a Premier Protein shake for Breakfast, then another one for lunch with a small piece of fruit such as an apple or pear. Then for dinner a 4oz piece of seasoned chicken breast with 1 cup steamed sweet peas. Blah!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I really struggled my first few days of the pre op diet too. I highly recommend sugar free Popsicles if you are allowed! It does get easier, by day five I felt really really good and I think it was the improved diet that made me feel so good, so just push through the next couple days and look forward to the good days ahead[emoji2]

Yes I was all liquids. I wish I could have had a small dinner. So you can imagine the struggle I had. Popsicles, sugar-free Jello, try different Protein shakes but that's about it. Just try to stay busy and keep your mind off of food. Try not to watch a lot of tv with all the fast food commercials. But once you get past it post-op diet will be a lot easier!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

The first few days are definitely the hardest.

I had a great time treating myself to shrimp for dinner! I sauteed them in a little olive oil & garlic & lemon, one day, I steamed them with Old Bay Seasoning and ate them with a little remoulade another, I made zoodles with zucchini and had those with my sauteed garlic shrimp. It really made me feel like I was having a treat and fell within the carb guidelines I was given.

Edited by 2goldengirl

The first few days are definitely the hardest. I had a great time treating myself to shrimp for dinner! I sauteed them in a little olive oil & garlic & lmon, I steamed them with Old Bay Seasoning and ate them with a little remoulade, I made zoodles with zucchini and had those with my sauteed garlic shrimp. It really made me feel like I was having a treat and fell within the carb guidelines I was given.

The first few days are definitely the hardest. I had a great time treating myself to shrimp for dinner! I sauteed them in a little olive oil & garlic & lmon, I steamed them with Old Bay Seasoning and ate them with a little remoulade, I made zoodles with zucchini and had those with my sauteed garlic shrimp. It really made me feel like I was having a treat and fell within the carb guidelines I was given.

Wow you were really creative! I need more options other than baked chicken breast and steamed peas!

I really struggled my first few days of the pre op diet too. I highly recommend sugar free Popsicles if you are allowed! It does get easier, by day five I felt really really good and I think it was the improved diet that made me feel so good, so just push through the next couple days and look forward to the good days ahead

Thank you so much! Glad to hear it gets better! What did you eat during your pre op diet? I couldn't image an all liquid pre op diet like some people have to do.

Hey everyone,

I am on day 2 of the liver shrinking diet and oh man it's a struggle already. Stomach wise I am content but my brain thinks I want /need more. I'm craving foods Ive never craved before all because I know I can't have it. Can anyone share their experiences with the liver shrinking diet and what they ate? Maybe if I have other food options I won't feel like it's such a struggle, I need options!!!! Currently, I have a premier Protein shake for breakfast, then another one for lunch with a small piece of fruit such as an apple or pear. Then for dinner a 4oz piece of seasoned chicken breast with 1 cup steamed sweet peas. Blah!

My pre-op diet was basically Atkin's phase 1 so I didn't have restrictions on Protein volume but I wasn't allowed to have fruit, sugar, or starches.

What are your guidelines?

I found it helpful to focus on what I could have instead of what I couldn't have.

Drink lots of Water, Decaf tea, Herb tea, etc. sugar free Popsicles are great to snack on. Can you have a lot of non-starchy vegetables? That is where you can fill up without a big calorie/sugar/carb hit if it's allowed.

As my NUT said, keep reminding yourself that this is only for a short time. We can do anything for two weeks!

It will get easier.

Oh, and asparagus! I LOVE asparagus, and I knew the fibrous nature of it means it's gonna be next spring before I get more. Steamed with a dab (like, 1/2 tsp) butter, a squeeze of lemon, and fresh-ground pepper. Heaven.

Stock up on broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles and then eat some when the urge s strong. Usually just eating these will help you a great deal. After three or four days you will adapt to the diet and it will become easier to follow.

When you are done you will probably never want to eat broth ever again. I also got sick of Jello but it helped me during the process.

Stock up on broth, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles and then eat some when the urge s strong. Usually just eating these will help you a great deal. After three or four days you will adapt to the diet and it will become easier to follow.

When you are done you will probably never want to eat broth ever again. I also got sick of Jello but it helped me during the process.

Great idea, thank you so much!

I'm on day 6, down 14lbs, and I've gotta say it's been a long week. That said, today I actually feel good. Like really, really good -- no headache or brain fog, I'm not hungry, and I'm not having anymore cravings. I think the biggest thing that's gotten me through this is distraction. I'm currently planning a wedding for next year, so when I felt like I wanted to eat, I'd busy myself on Pinterest looking up ideas. I bought a bunch of adult coloring books to fill up long evenings. Find a few things you really enjoy that aren't food and throw yourself into them when you want to eat!

Also, remember that this is a choice. We're choosing to have surgery, no matter what circumstances brought us each here. Difficult situations are always easier to weather when we feel like we're in control of them!

It takes your brain 3 weeks to adjust to a new normal...you can totally do this if you keep your goal in mind. I think that you will be so happy that you did this for yourself. Hard work now will make it that much easier afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Today was day 1 for me of the all liquid diet. I get sleeved on 3/30. I have been switching off between the chocolate EAS advantage shakes and the chocolate Muscle Pharm coconut Water Protein shakes. I also had one cup of chicken broth. I have been trying to stay busy and not focus on food. It is tough but I am determined

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App