Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

Why are some surgeries performed in hospitals and others in clinics? Some banders are kept overnight, others go home the same day. I'm having my surgery at NWWLS (Dr. Montgomery) and I'm supposed to get to go home the same day unless I need "more care." A friend of mine had her surgery in April in Monterrey and stayed overnight in a hospital.

It's the same surgery from place to place. Out patient surgical center or hospital...it's the same surgery. Why not do all the surgeries in the hospital? I suppose it has to do with the technology available at area facilities? Yes?

And

Is Tomato Soup considered a liquid a semi-mushy or a mushy?

Thanks!

Darr

Darr I stayed the night mainly due to insurance purposes. I have federal bc/bs. that is what my doctor's office said. but I may have stayed anyway because my surgery was not until later in the afternoon, 5PM.

You will find that the doctors are different on many things, pre opt diets, post opt diets, fills, exercise and more. it is a bit frustrating for sure.

I have only been banded since June 7. Good luck to you. you will learn a lot from this site, it is full of GREAT people.

Darr, I think so. I was really worried too because when I had my tubes tied, the anasthesialogist said that he had a hard time getting the tube down, short neck or something. He told me to be sure to tell the next doctor if I have surgery again. So, when I told him the day of surgery, he did not seem to feel it was a problem. They gave me a shot of something to help out with it. I was not sore at all the next day!!!

Don't panic to much. One of the other things I stressed over was the blood work ahead of time. I have asthma and when I was diagnosed about 18 years ago, the blood guy could not get a blood gas, which means drawing blood from my artery. I was so faint because he was terrible, I told him to stop and would not let him stab me one more time!!

Well, at the hospital for my band, WOW, she did it with out a problem and I was so happy. So, the reason for telling you this, is every one is different and so are the hospital staff.

YOU WILL DO GREAT.

At the clinic where I had my banding done, the policy was to treat all patients without the kind of co-morbities which might complicate the operation as day patients and the surgery would be performed in the clinic. Patients who might run into difficulties due to co-morbities would be operated on at a hospital and they would be kept there overnight.

My doctor in NC told me that the time of day the surgery was scheduled was what dictated a hospital stay over for the most part. His group liked to monitor the patient for 10 to 12 hours post op before releasing them, and that means a stay over if the surgery was in the afternoon. Hope you do well with your band.

Every bariatric surgeon is different, just like every dentist, cardiologist, internist, etc. They practice based on how they were taught, and their own experience in the field and lessons learned. You'll find this in all fields. Not every doctor agrees on process or procedure.