Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week Pre-op diet struggles

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this!

My surgery is scheduled for 3/23.

However, I'm on a two week pre-op diet consisting of:

Breakfast - Protein Shake

• snack- Protein Bar, Greek yogurt, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2-4 oz of turkey with 1 oz of cheese, 2-4 oz of tuna, or 4 oz of shrimp.

Lunch- Protein shake

Snack- same as above

Dinner- 6 oz of lean meat, 1/2 cup of starch, 1 cup of veggies

I started the diet last Tuesday. Today marks the first week done.

I've work out four times last week and twice so far this week.

I'm suppose to lose 10-15 pounds on this diet and I haven't lost a single pound in the first week. I'm extremely nervous and worried why this isn't working for me when I'm trying so hard.

Does anyone have any advice? It's greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That seems like a LOT of food for a two week preop diet when they expect you to lose 10-15 pounds. Besides all that food, how much Water are you drinking? What kind of Protein shakes are you drinking? Check the labels. Some are loaded with carbs without a lot if Protein.< /p>

I was required to lose 5% of my body weight on my 2 week preop, which was 12 pounds. My diet consisted of 3 protein shakes/day plus leafy green veggies and a minimum of 64oz Water. I could substitute one of the shakes with broth and unflavored Protein powder. I ate a ton of spinach, Brussels sprouts, kale and different lettuces. I ended up losing 22 pounds.

I'm drinking about 70 oz of Water a day. And my Protein shake is made specifically for individuals having the surgery done- 25 g of Protein, 5 g of Fiber, 9 g of carbs, 1 g of fat. In case it wasn't clear I can pick one item from that list for a snack each time. That's crazy how well you do during your 2 week preop. My surgeon isn't so strict with it being so many liquids. I'm just feeling extremely discouraged

Are you weighing and measuring everything?

If so, and are following your program as directed, you just may need to stay off the scale.

Keep following the program and keep drinking lots of Water.

Depending on what you were eating before this 2 weeks, you may be on a stall, or your body may just be taking some time to adjust.

I wouldn't try to outsmart your program by restricting.

If in doubt, why not give your NUT a call to talk about your concerns?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this!

My surgery is scheduled for 3/23.

However, I'm on a two week pre-op diet consisting of:

• breakfast - Protein shake

• snack- Protein bar, Greek yogurt, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2-4 oz of turkey with 1 oz of cheese, 2-4 oz of tuna, or 4 oz of shrimp.

Lunch- Protein Shake

Snack- same as above

Dinner- 6 oz of lean meat, 1/2 cup of starch, 1 cup of veggies

I started the diet last Tuesday. Today marks the first week done.

I've work out four times last week and twice so far this week.

I'm suppose to lose 10-15 pounds on this diet and I haven't lost a single pound in the first week. I'm extremely nervous and worried why this isn't working for me when I'm trying so hard.

Does anyone have any advice? It's greatly appreciated

I assume you are only having one of the listed items for a snack each time? If so, that looks eating pretty light - I'd guess around 1000 calories daily. I am a good sized guy, and I ate 800-1100 calories a day on an extended pre-op diet and lost about 28lb, but that was over about 7 weeks. To shave a little more off, try to be ruthless about cutting carbs and sodium (the latter for avoiding confusion with Water weight), and emphasize veggies more.

There's only so much you can do though, to some extent you need to take what your body gives you. Fasting won't be healthy. As surfergirl says, you can always call your nutritionist to see if they have any helpful feedback re changes you can make or added detail around how strict the weightloss requirement is.

Yes I agree that's a lot of food. My doctor said 2 Protein Shakes and 1 meal and water.My one meal has to be 4oz of meat and 2-3 teaspoons of a no starch vegetable. I had to beg for the 3rd teaspoon of the vegetable at dinner. The nutritionist came in after him and just repeated what he said. I wish u could have a Protein bar though????.