Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I go through with sleeve? Almost at goal.

So I have my preop appt later today with my surgeon. I'm wandering if I'm making the right decision because in Oct my BMI was 40 but through seeing his dietician, exercising, and making life changes my BMI is now 29. If I lose another 25 lbs I'll be at my goal BMI. My fear is gaining it back after all this hard work. Is it worth the risks involved, the pain, the dehydration? If I decline to go ahead with my 3/28 date will I regret it? So many mixed emotions. I feel so proud of myself losing 65lbs all on my own, do I need this? Anyone else have a preop scenario like this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

there is not enough information - have you lost to goal before and regained? how many times? have you addressed your eating issues? do you have comorbidities? are you young, middle, old? all of these things play into the decision.

are you self pay? because I would think if insurance was in the mix it would be a no.

No I have never lost to goal before. I just slowly crept up from the day I got married 18 years ago until one day I said enough was enough. I wasn't sure I could even do this but I have done well. I am 37 years old, sleep apnea likely gone now, high lipids but overall healthy. I love food though and just really fear that the weight will slowly come back on like it did over the past years. For the first time in my life I've been seeing a dietician, log all my intake, and consistently exercise. I really just fear my appetite. Sometimes it's so intense. I am thinking reducing the ghrellin will help. I have insurance approval cause my BMI was high when initially seen at surgeons office. I'm enjoying trail running, but will I always enjoy it? So many unknowns and I'm so nervous. I'm a nurse so I've seen what happens when surgeries go bad too.

Well, in my opinion, weight loss surgery is pretty drastic, and should really be the last resort. If you can get to a healthy place without the surgery, I think that is better.

To me the person who really needs it, has seriously tried dieting/exercise alone and failed or relapsed numerous times, and is grossly overweight, facing health risks. For *that* person, I think it's definitely worth it. That's where I was prior to my surgery.

Since you've lost a lot of weight and so far are still doing fine, I'd suggest you stay on the path that you are on and just try to be vigilant. Keep a food log/count calories, and keep mainly healthy dietary choices in the house. Sounds like you are doing well now to me :-).

maybe it would be better for you to regularly have follow up with a NUT, find foods that satisfy your hunger but fall within a normal carb/fat/protein ratio to keep you slim.

maybe it would be better for you to regularly have follow up with a NUT, find foods that satisfy your hunger but fall within a normal carb/fat/protein ratio to keep you slim.

That's a good idea, a nutritionist can help you to stay motivated, in addition to giving specific guidance. If your PCP refers you to one, you health insurance will likely help pay for the visits too.

Amazing job with the weight loss! I hesitate to give advice because this is such a personal descision. This is my story, maybe it will help.

I started losing weight during the pre-op phase, about 10 pounds in the first three weeks! I got to the point of submitting for insurance approval when I started to seriously question the surgery. We refer to this as the "massive freak out" phase. I told the surgeon I changed my mind. I knew that I could say "no" to the surgery and later change my mind. But when you say "yes", you can't change your mind after the surgery. "No" is not a permenent decision. "Yes" is a permenent decision. That gave me serious pause.

I said no to the surgery, and immediately started to gain weight. I literally stopped at TGI Fridays on my way home from the doctor’s office! I gained the weight back. Three months later, I was back at the doctor’s office.

I am glad I had my massive freak out. It is part of my journey and gave me the reassurance that I was making the right choice for me. I am now 100% positive that this surgery is medically necessary.

Only you can decide if this is the right path for you.

Saw my surgeon today and I am going to have it done. I have lost weight before - not this much but have done it and gained back plus some. I am hungry all the time and if I go over 1200 calories and skip running I don't lose crap. I am viligent but can't keep this up forever - my hunger pains talk and sometimes they win. He said statistically only 2.5% of people that lose weight the old fashioned way can keep it off. I am so motivated to make it this far I don't want to fail and I think this additional tool will give me that edge to maintain my healthy eating and lifestyle. He said I could be back running in 4 weeks. He said I should heal faster and recover easier than others with a higher BMI cause I have prepped myself for almost 6 months now to follow a diet and exercise plan so my head is in the game and my body is healthier. I saw my labs today that were drawn last week and they are the best I've had since my early 20's! The best news he said at the very end is no liquid preop diet for me. He said in 6 months I have already shrunk my liver and to just keep the carbs real low for the next two weeks. Surgery is March 28th. I feel so much better after talking with him and dietician again today. I am ready to do this, wish me luck!