Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does protein affect weight loss?

Hello,

Can someone please explain how Protein affects weight loss? I'm concerned because I feel like I'm not getting enough in. I do have Optifast shakes left from the pre-op stage, but I'm hesitant to drink them as they're quite high in sugar (17.8 grams) per serving.

Can anyone recommend a good tasting, low sugar Protein powder available in Australia?

Thank you.

Protein helps you stay "full" longer. My doctor does not allow Protein Shakes after the week 2 post-op stage as he believes your calories should come from real food, and that you should never get in the habit of drinking your calories.

I have read that after Water, Protein is the most plentiful substance in your body. It does in fact keep you full and help you heal in the early days after surgery, but your metabolism is also regulated by Protein. Protein regulates cell division and replenished damaged cells with healthy cells. Proteins are abundant to hair, skin, muscle and other organs and tissues, strengthening them and they also help turn food into fuel/energy which is how they help keep you full, so basically you cannot function without protein.

I am nine months post-op and still drink a Protein shake every morning. I don't know if you have GNC in Australia, but could always order online. I drink their chocolate Wheybolic Extreme 60 with a cup of skim Fairlife milk for a total of 33 grams of protein. It's a learning/trying process, so I wish you the best of luck. I think I tried 6-7 different kinds before I found one I enjoyed.

Protein is critical to weight loss. I am 18 months post op and I drink one every morning for Breakfast. I could not possibly get my Protein from just food, I am very restricted.

I have tried many different protein shakes and have found that Premier Protein ready made shakes work best for me.

They have a whopping 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar and are 160 calories. They are ready made so no blender mess required. They don't have that nasty grit that comes from most powdered protein.

You can buy them in bulk at Sam's and costco. Some Walgreens have them in small 4 packs and I believe Walmart carries them as well.

costco runs a sale on them every couple of months and I stock up.

To your question about weight loss, yes protein is very very critical to weight loss and your nutrition. Having WLS can cause you to be malnourished if you don't get proper amounts of protein and Vitamins. You can get very ill.

Please find a protein solution that works for you.

Protein helps you stay "full" longer. My doctor does not allow Protein shakes after the week 2 post-op stage as he believes your calories should come from real food, and that you should never get in the habit of drinking your calories.

I see too many people equate protein supplements and shakes with protein. Protein shakes/supplements are one source of protein. A very important and efficient way to get protein soon after surgery, but it is just one source of protein.

Protein is a macronutrient.

Calories are a unit of energy.

Protein, carbs, and fats are all macronutrients.

All macronutrients have calories.

Protein is a vital macronutrient for survival, and health that we consume to acquire.

We efficiently store carbs and fats in our bodies.

We do not store protein.

Since we are obese, we can go a pretty long time on the energy stored from carbs and fats.

We cannot go very long without protein.

We need protein for daily functions.

We need protein to build muscle, skin, hair, etc.

As we lose weight our body is dismantling and rebuilding our bodies at a heightened rate.

If we do not consume sufficient protein for all of this then our bodies 1) consume our own protein (muscle tissue, organ tissue, etc.), 2) shut down to conserve energy (starve and not burn energy), etc.).

Many of us use protein supplements/shakes to get enough protein as our stomachs heal.

As we transition to more solid food we can get more of our protein from food.< /p>

Whether you use shakes and/or food, the priority is protein (not calories).

The bottom line is we need enough protein, throughout the day, to 1) function, 2) avoid muscle loss, heart and lung problems, etc. 3) rebuild our body from fat loss 4) keep our skin elastic, etc. etc.

If we are getting enough protein we can optimize weight loss and minimize health problems associated with weight loss.

I hope this helps answer the OPs question.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Inner Surfer Girl - I wasn't equating Protein with Protein Shakes, just stating what my doctor preaches that your protein and all other calories should come from whole food.< /p>

Edited by aelovelady

Thank you for your replies- it makes sense. I really have to lift my game!

Inner Surfer Girl - I wasn't equating Protein with Protein Shakes, just stating what my doctor preaches that your protein and all other calories should come from whole food.< /p>

I understand. I just wanted to clarify because I see so many posts from people who seem to equate the two.

Inner Surfer Girl - I wasn't equating protein with protein shakes, just stating what my doctor preaches that your protein and all other calories should come from whole food.

I understand. I just wanted to clarify because I see so many posts from people who seem to equate the two.

Ok thanks