Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Results

I'm starting a new thread where (hopefully) people will report their post-op issues and any advice for the people coming up. I'm not until Aug. 6 but I'm anxious to hear results. I promise to post mine.

Hi All, I was banded on Thursday, Aug. 2 at about 1:00pm and got home from the hospital at about 4:00pm yesterday. So far so good. I'm not feeling great, but from what I've been reading here, each day will be better. I have alot of all over body aches from the surgery. My neck and shoulders hurt the most. I guess that is from my head being pulled back during the surgery. I am only able to sip a little liquid at a time and have no hunger yet. They had me on I.V. fluids in the hospital so I didn't have to worry about my intake, but now I've got to get in a minimum of 36 ounces a day and I feel like that will be a challenge. Based on the way I feel now, returning to work on Monday would not be a very good idea. Thankfully, that is not an issue for me, but I suggest that those of you who can plan to take a whole week off should. This is alot to adjust to. I am excited about the future with my band and glad the surgery is over. I'll check back in when I feel better.

Newgirl---I being banded on August 6th too.

I think i have been though just about every emotion there is this week.

I keep thinking...what the heck am i doing...am i ever gona be able to eat again? then i calm down and reality makes sense to me.

I will try and post how im doing after. Have to say im not the most brave about it.

Hello all those that are aug 6 surgery dates.

I too have been full of emotions today. Im mostly concerned about how well I will do after surgery. I will post hopefully by Tues afternoon.

As they say... "see you on the other side".

I'm August 7th, I couldn't agree more about all the emotions that are going through my head, plus having medical issues with other family members so it's made it harder. I will post my info once I get home. Good luck to all tomorrow my prayers will be with you.

Julie

DOn't worry after surgery and after the healing, you will forget you even had surgery. Sometimes I forget about it until I take too big of a bite and then I remember. You really feel normal after, you can't tell that you have something in your body. Don't be scared. Just do what they tell you to do. Good Luck to everyone!

Best of luck to all new bandsters this week. I too will be banded this week and will be thinking of all of you!!!

Hugs and very best wishes to all!

Banding-August 7, 2007 Mexico1941916506205522100707.gif

PS Thanks Loser28 -- I fly out this afternoon and your wonderful post helped to relieve some of the anxiety I was feeling this morning.:)

I had my surgery on August 1st. I just got home today (August 6th). Surgery went OK. I did have some pain in my chest - but not shoulders. I thought it was the gas - but it was the Water not going down. My band was tight and with swelling - nothing was going down for me. I had to wait out the next 2 days (with a lovely tube down my nose) and try again. Tried again - and no luck. You can imagine how I'm feeling at this point. Finally yesterday - the pain did subside and as they were ready to re-band me with a bigger band, Water started going down and staying down. Overall - it wasn't a bad experience and the surgeon did say that it was a very rare occurance that this happens. I wasn't expecting it. But i'm home and seem to be advancing through the stages ok at this point.

Hope everyone else has a great experience. Even with my complications - it still wasn't bad. The port pain does hurt. They put the port in the front of my stomach - not the side (wierd) - but it gets better daily. I am just grateful I got to recover in the hospital - but I am not behind a few days on my stages =)

I think they put the port in the front of my stomach too. Maybe it was just better to put it there.

Well i had the surgery yesterday and i got back home this afteroon. Not half as bad as i thought.

They got me onto the operating room and put a gas mask on my me. i took 5 breathes and though 'whats this meant to do' next thing i know i was waking up in recovery!

I was a little quessy at first but after that i was fine. No gas pains yet. made sure i walked alot in the hospital but i rested well.

Im sore around my incissions but not too uncomftabe. Even the upper Gi test was not hard to do. I know its different for everyone but when went about as easily as it could.

I was banded less than 24 hours ago and it went SO much better than I ever could have expected. The first half hour in recovery was the worst part b/c the anethesia made me nauseous, but once that passed (with the aid of medication) I was absolutely fine. I was up and walking almost immediately and today I even had the energy and stamina to go shopping at the mall for a few hours!!!

I am still in Mexico so I will keep this short. Will post more later.

Woo Hoo the the surgery is over!!!! Good luck to everyone else!!!!

I had my surgery Aug, 6.I did ok expect for the nausousness in recovery room, and again later that night in the hospital room. I was released on Tues afternoon.

They had to do a upper GI also to make sure everything is flowing properly. My hernia was larger than they thought, so when they fixed Doc had to pull out some of the stomach that had escaped up into the esophagus.

He said that he put in a couple of stitches so that doesnt happen again.

I am having no gas pains, just some pain that occurs in the middle of my back when I sip on water.I am assuming that it might be from the hernia repair. I have had a hard time getting in my liquids because of that pain.

Also came home with sinus drainage. Wouldnt that also fill up a stomach that only holds a small amount? (I know a gross question.)My thoughts and prayers are with the rest of the August bandes.

Well I was banded yesterday 8/7, I was schedule for 12:30pm but I didn't get in until 4:30 pm and once in recovery I was up and walking in 30 minutes and it felt much better to walk than sit or lay. I stayed the night which was nice, I was home by 10:30am today, a little sore in the stomach area, I feet like I did a million crunches, and I'm doing lots of belching. I was just glad after recovery to have something to drink, since I had nothing since 9:30pm on the 6th. Hot Decaf tea, it felt good to sip going down. Went for a walk with my son this afternoon, felt good to get around and out of the house. It's strange that you can really only take sips and that 5oz of Protein shake can take 30 to 45 minutes to complete but it's true. Will keep all updated, love to hear about everyone else too!

Julie