Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VERY FIRST APPOINTMENT/WHAT TO TAKE/EXPECT

Hi ! Im new, quick run thru,

Im 30

weight 258

height 5-6

BMI (around 41-42)

high bp, osteoarthritis, hietal hernia,

im going to my first appointment with Surgery Center Monday 5/14/16

i have formed a MY JOURNEY book

in it :

-medical history - lots of surgeries-

-medical list

-allergy list

-pathway to success (their step by step program listed online)

-my current insurance info

and extra copies of id/medical etc.

She said i will see the doctor and they Physc this date. And to expect to be there a few hours at min.

What info can you give me about the inital visit,, and what the psych says needs etc.

My family doctor did not send me there,,, as i rarely see him... so will he oversea me? or will i just follow thru with the doctor at center?

It's an initial medical appt like any other with a little extra. No big deal. They'll want your med history, which you're already armed with.

It's pretty routine for surgeons to repair a hiatal hernia when doing the WLS.

To the best of my recollection, your family doctor is pretty much a formality, albeit an important one, in the entire process. The surgeon may want a letter of clearance from him/her, meaning that he/she states that you are a candidate for surgery with no conditions that would make it a mistake. In addition, it can only help your insurance approval process if a letter in support of surgery comes from the family doctor. Usually such letters/papers are submitted by the surgery practice as part of your approval request package.

If you're seeing the psychologist for the psych eval that day, he/she wants to see that you understand the risks of surgery, are motivated to make the life-long changes that are necessary for life-long success, and whether you are capable of understanding and following doctor's orders. Again, no big deal, even if the psych you see gives you sheaf of questionnaires (some do for the WLS approval process).

You should be given all this info and more at the appt. If not, ask just as you would any other time.

If it sounds like a daunting process, it isn't. I promise that this post is far more complicated than the process. Had I more time, it would have been briefer.

It sounds like you are prepared.

In addition to your book, just take:

A pen and paper to take notes (although they will probably have them available).

An open mind.

A willingness to ask lots of questions. If you don't understand something, ask until you do.

In addition, be prepared to practice patience and persistence.

Best of luck!

Thank you guys so much !! Im trying my hardest to be prepared,, and show my readiness to move forward and use this "tool" as help for my future adn not as a "quick fix" as some believe.

I took a notebook with a list of questions I already had so that I wouldn't forget any. And that way I could write down the answers and any other notes. They'll ask you to describe your previous attempts at weight loss so you may want to jot a few notes down on that before hand - when, what did you try, how much did you lose, how long before you started to regain etc.

They'll go through all the surgery options and discuss with you your specific conditions etc and help decide what will be the best option for your particular case. So it does take a while but it is not overwhelming.

In my case, while I do see my primary doc regularly (2x a year to monitor my high blood pressure) he is only in the background for this process. I'm using the surgeon and his nutritionist for my insurance-required 6 month medically supervised pre-op period. I am having my primary copied on all tests etc and his office is part of the same larger medical group that the surgeon is in so he has total access to the records at my surgeon's office. But the point is, you probably won't HAVE to use your primary doc for this process other than to get the letter of recommendation.

Hmm well i hope my family doctor will write the letter than if needed. Ill write up a weighloss history also. i have two things ive tried in last two years.

have you all ever wondered if you lost too much if they would deny you? i know thats crazy but worried,