Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Patience or panic?

I've just recently started getting fills and thought I was maybe at the right amount but decided to go and get it just .25 more....and now I'm starting to worry. This was about 2 hours ago, so please forgive my impatience, but I can't keep any liquids down. Milk is literally curdling and coming back up. Do I go back and get some out right away or do I have patience and see if this is just a fluke or maybe inflammation? Any suggestions or pointers from all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Didn't your doctor have you drink Water after your fill? If milk is coming back up, you're too tight! Being too tight is just as bad as being too loose because you won't be able to eat good, healthy food (like dense Proteins or veggies/legumes full of fiber). Instead you'll only eat foods that go down easy (like processed foods, ice cream, etc.). I imagine if milk isn't going down, neither is Water - and that is *dangerous.* Water is absolutely vital to survival. I hope you called your doctor...

Didn't your doctor have you drink Water after your fill? If milk is coming back up, you're too tight! Being too tight is just as bad as being too loose because you won't be able to eat good, healthy food (like dense Proteins or veggies/legumes full of fiber). Instead you'll only eat foods that go down easy (like processed foods, ice cream, etc.). I imagine if milk isn't going down, neither is Water - and that is *dangerous.* Water is absolutely vital to survival. I hope you called your doctor...

I did, I was back in there in the afternoon. He did have me drink water after my fill, but I didn't seem to have a problem then. He took out what he put in, so I'm back to where I was.

It sounds like you have a lot of self control. Was that something you learned since your surgery or was that always something you had?? I have tried to teach myself this self control my entire life and I go through stages of it where it's strong and then it's completely gone. Right now I'm kind of in the middle of the two extremes. I'm trying to get myself under control, which is why I wanted my band tight, but it sounds like you're saying that's the wrong attitude because it will leave me eating unhealthy. So....how do you do it and even more importantly, how do you stick to it?

Thank you for your help! I'll take all the guidance I can get!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

LOL Goodness, you're giving me too much credit :) I have zero self control, which is why I needed the lap band in the first place... My blessing is that I've always been a good eater in that I love ALL foods. Fruits, veggies, Proteins, good carbs... I love all the foods I'm "supposed" to eat, but I also love the foods I'm NOT "supposed" to eat.

My problem before WLS was that I'd load up my plate, big time. Heaping piles of potatoes, 8-10 ounces of meat, heaping piles of veggies covered in olive oil and/or tossed with feta cheese and lemon juice (YUM!!!) and then I'd eat dessert like a 2 pack snack cakes or a bowl of ice cream. And I'd eat my partner's leftovers.

Every meal I ate would be balanced, but would also be enough to feed 2-3 normal sized people. The lap band enables me to eat an appropriate portion for one person.

I think you need to focus on what your problem is. For me, it's always been portion sizes. I have a hard time dishing up a normal serving size for myself and I use salad plates now so I won't over-do it. I fill the plate mostly with Protein and veggies, and then one scoop of rice/potatoes/pasta because I just can't do without a few bites of it. I eat the Protein first, then the veggies, and that leaves very little room for starches so I eat a couple bites and then I throw the rest away.

Usually that's good enough for me. I eat until my stomach says "stop" and then I'm done. If I eat beyond that "stop" I get a stomach ache. There are times where I'll stare at my food and feel totally baffled because I WANT to keep eating but I CAN'T keep eating. It's a very, very strange feeling for a volume eater.

My PA told me everyone's weight problem stems from different issues. Some of the folks she saw ate only carbs and had to get used to including Proteins and veggies. Others loved dessert too much. Others struggled with emotional issues and needed counseling. My problem is I'm an enthusiastic eater with a very powerful appetite.

The lap band itself easily resolved that for me - my issue appears to be purely physical. I've thought about it a lot because I thought I was an emotional eater and I went through counseling only to learn that I'm really not... I don't know why I have an abnormal appetite, I just do.

So I think you need to really think about why you're struggling. What are you eating? How much? How often do you get hungry? When do you get hungry? Do you have situations that trigger your hunger? Are you drinking enough Water? Do you have a medical condition that caused/causes weight gain?

Hope that helps a little... I'm sorry you're struggling :( I'm not quite an expert yet because I only just had my surgery a couple months ago but I'm happy to answer any questions!

i think your band is too tight. after my last fill it took several hours to not keep Water dpwn. the next day i had an unfill. even today 2 days later i think i may need more out.