Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@salmon77

I go out all the time. I don't drink. I usually have bottle Water. People assume I think I am on mollys or something.

If I do order a drink a rarely end up drinking. If I think I am going some place where I might drink I have to rearrange all my macros and calories for the day to account for the alcohol, which usually means instead of eating meals, I am drinking Protein shakes to allow for the calories. It just isn't worth it, I'd rather have a steak

Other people don't care if you don't drink, really they don't, not like you think they do. I am outgoing and I don't need alcohol to be fun and have a good time. The only time people might have an issue with it, is if they have an issue with alcohol and drinking with other people makes them feel like they have less of an issue, but that is someone elses deep problem, that isn't your problem.

I never hid from the world, but I do go out more or the same. Not drinking has no effect on my fun level. Plus I need to save all the money I can for my shoe habit.

Pregnant women don't drink.

Smart women who are trying to get pregnant don't drink.

Recovering alcoholics don't drink.

Some people are just teetotalers due to their beliefs.

People who are on some antibiotics, anti-anxiotics, anti-depressants and other medications don't drink.

If you don't drink, you're likely not going to be the only person in the restaurant who's not drinking.

LOL! I too was one of those girls.. and I am going to miss my wine! I committed to giving it up after having this conversation with my surgeon. He explained, which I already knew, that wine has carbs and sugars that will make you fat. Liquor, on the other hand, will not ever may you fat on its own. The body converts alcohol to ketones, which are either burned off as energy or eliminated. He told me that he doesn't tell people not to drink, because he understands that it's just what some people do. His advice to me was to choose top shelf liquors because they are made from superior grains, and mix them with zero calorie mixers. He also said that if I do decide that I want a glass of Chardonnay once in a while, buy a nice bottle of it and savor it, rather than knocking back a big bottle of Barefoot. All perfectly agreeable alternatives as far as I'm concerned. I'm only seven days out...so it will be a while before I have any adult beverages, but when I do, I am considering a nice fresh watermelon martini! :D

I try to picture classic women of Hollywood and how they eat and sip and remember that "hey that's attractive and I wasn't when I could out drink guys" haha that seems to help me! Let me know how you start to feel because I am in the same boat!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I appreciate that you're looking to change your lifestyle. And that's a good thing.

But your doctor's comments that alcoholic spirits are less fattening than wine are some of the weirdest I've ever heard.

Yes, “savoring” a small amount of wine vs. guzzling a whole bottle is a good idea – fewer calories.

And yes, good wine is a better choice than cheap wine -- but not for nutritional reasons. ;)

But the idea that the minimal number of carbs / sugars in a 5-ounce pour of chardonnay will make you fat again is simply not true. Skim milk has more sugars and carb grams than chardonnay. You can check these facts on any online nutritional database.

Some surgeons’ nutritional education seems astonishingly lacking.

P.S. Also check out recipes for watermelon martinis. They contain not only sugar found in watermelon juice, but sugar from ingredients like granulated (white) sugar and (in some recipes) sugary liqueurs.

That was only part of the conversation that we had. I am fully aware of the nutritional values of everything that I consumek, and I assure you that my surgeon is not lacking in education or knowledge.

In reference to the watermelon martini, my recipe involves muddled fresh watermelon and cucumber, vodka, a little Water and some Splenda, shaken with crushed ice.

This has been the hardest for me too! I'm not 25, but let's face it, drinks and dinner are most people's "thing". That's what we do in rural America anyway. I haven't told everyone I know that I had WLS so I feel isolated not being able to do either. Now that I'm moving into the phase where I can at least eat, I'm hopeful I can start to socialize again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. This surgery was an entire lifestyle change and I'm not wrong to in some ways feel left out or out of the loop. Its a big adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App