Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is the truth about the band

Guest ZenGarden

In the beginning, I could eat anything and everything. Each time I get my band tightened, I experience a re-adjustment period for all food items and often times I cannot eat some of the things I was eating before.

The band is very different for each person, and often times, it will trick you into thinking you can tolerate a certain food...only to find out you PB it right back up.

Guest ZenGarden

Hi NurseLinda:

I am a VegAquarium (eat fish only) and in addition to fish (tuna, salmon, talapia), I live on soy-based Protein products such as Gardenburger Veggie BBQ Riblets, Gardenburger American Grille patties, Garden burger Mama Mia Meatballs, MorningStar Farms veggie sausage patties, and MorningStar Farms veggie corn dogs.

I also eat lots of black Beans, lentils, baked Beans, etc....

Hope this helps!

Any suggestions of good tasting chocalate or strawberry shakes or bars would be appreciated. Thats the only kind i like. I am also a diet dr pepper addict and it will be hard to give it up, especially since it isnt fattening anyways. I hate Water , so their will be lots of changes for me. I hope i can make them all.

Anyone still have sugar cravings that u cant control ? I am waiting on the band, and am worried I will still be hungry and wont do good with it. Thanks for all replies and help. Linda

Linda

This band is NOT the magic cure to your food issues - it banded your tummy not your brain... Only you control what goes into your mouth not the band.

The band does not take away all your hunger and it doesn't take away you thinking about food (imho) - it is a tool to control portions

The reason we are all FAT right now is cuz we ate alot of food (high fat - high sugar and didn't exercise) That is the plain and simple fact.

My typical dinner pre banding would be 3 tacos w/beans (made w/lard) then a hour later 2 more tacos & Beans with tons of cheese and then 1 more taco before bed and then during the middle of the night brownies - Cookies - ice cream and all I did was sit on my butt- now typical dinner 4 oz fish - 1/2 cup brown rice - 1 - to 1 1/2 cup veggies - 2 sf pudding and sf fudgecicle - or sf angel food cake w/dannon yogurt - am I still hungry - sometime even though my tummy is full - this is head hunger.

You have to plan what you are going to eat, you have to shop, you gotta weigh thing to know what a correct portion size is. will you have to do this for the rest of your life - hopefully not once you learn what a true portion size is - we fat people have a whole different definition of portion size - "I use to say - who came up with a pint of ice cream being 4 servings - hell that's only one serving"

You gotta work at this - the band isn't going to do it for you We are going to be hungry for a while (both head hunger and withdrawls from our addiction)- we are use to eating alot of food but we just don't realize that we were/are eating huge amounts...

Got to the thread "At or near Goal" ask those people how they got there - did the band do it or did they do it. I bet most will answer that they made wise food choices and exercised and ya they had some help from the band but that they did most of the work not the band.

I just think that too many people think the band is going to do all the work and that they don't have to do any... you are told only to expect 1 -2 lbs a week - if you want more - exercise more... If I lose only 1 lb a week I am happy - but I am working at this lot harder than the band is.. I make wise food choices 1000 to 1200 calories a day which I log and I walk 10- 13 miles a week. The band is only a piece of plastic it can't make your food choices or do the exercise for you...

My Doc & Nutritionist said that these were my guidelines- #1 Protein 60 grms daily, low fat, low sugar, 3 meals plus 2 healthy Snacks - Vitamins, Calcium. I am allowed to pick and choose what I eat - I am not limited as to what I eat - just that it's healthy and in size with correct portions - 1/4 cup ice cream (sf) instead of the whole pint made with real sugar & cream.

In our lives we allow for a margin of error – which we should also do when trying to eat healthy – if you are eating 1000-1200 calories a day – allow for some of those calories to be used for a little bit of something you really want (chocolate - have a healthy choice fudgecicle - it's s/f & 80 calories)- you need wiggle room in your diet to make it work (I save my morning and afternoon Snacks for night time which is my worst time) – the all or nothing practices has to be thrown our of your mind.

You can learn to reprogram your mind to strip away the guilt that comes with dieting. You have to realize that it’s not that the first slice of cake that will doom your diet – it’s the second or third or whole thing that leads to weight gain.

You have to listen to your body & respond smartly to your cravings and emotions but over time you will learn how to eat right and mange your craving and that’s when you’ll train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right and punishing yourself – If you stop over thinking you’ll stop over eating..

Good Luck on your journey

Guest ZenGarden

Hi again, NurseLinda:

I'm addicted to Cherry Coke Zero and Diet Sunkist orange soda. My favorite pre-made shakes are the EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control chocolate fudge (they come in a 4-pack, silver package). My favorite bars are the Atkins Advantage Protein Bar Caramel Double chocolate Crunch - these ROCK! I also LOVE the Zone Perfect strawberry Yogurt bars.

Guest ZenGarden

IndigoGirl:

Well-said post. The band definitely DOES NOT decrease your 'head hunger' OR your cravings for things...I struggle everyday with both of these things.

I dont recall using the word "awful". I think this is how its going to be for a while...I dont know how long..but I dont see how its going to change..unless the band loses some of its saline close to the next fill date...I dont know, I guess I just have to wait and see....BUT this is the way it is for MANY MANY new banders....how long its going to be like this, I dont know.

Also, if you can eat steak with no problems, and have always been able to..perhaps you arent tight enough... If your profile is correct, you've lost 36 lbs in 1 1/2 years??? That doesnt seem like a significant weight loss...

And just for clarity......I LOVE THE BAND...30 lbs and 2 sizes down in 8 weeks....

alysedg23, 30 lbs in eight weeks?? please tell me what and how much you're eating.

Cow cow, you might want to read the rest of the thread....

Indigo-The band made it poossible for me to make good choices. I never could before. Things that were impossible are just hard work now. I can live with that.

TNNurse: Regarding the protein-Think about this too. Solid Protein helps you feel fuller longer. So it's perfect for the band. My Dr said to eat the Protein first, then the veges, and then if there's room, eat a carb or fruit. If you really hate meats, you might want to go to the vegetarian threads and ask them how they keep that full feeling with the band.

It's funny....my sugar craving is only present when I don't follow the program. If I'm getting my calories at my protein rich meals, I don't crave. If I skip calories, I want to fill in with easy old ice cream.

I have lost almost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I don't know how, but I did! I stuck with the post op diet to the 'T'. Now that I am on solid, normal food, this is what my meal day looks like:

Breakfast: coffee with Flavored Creamer, Jenny-O Turkey Sausage and one egg.

Lunch: Usually Protein and veg, like Turkey meat heated in the microwave (2 oz.), with 1/4 avocado and 1 tsp cheese. 1/2 cup snap peas.

Dinner: 3-4 oz of salmon and 1/2 cup steamed zuccini.

I'll also, when I remember, have a high Protein shake (abot 250 calories), just to make sure I am meeting the minimum 50 grams per day.

Also, when I am craving veggies and don't want to eat Protein, I will cheat and have a Protein Shake first, then I'll eat a cup of carrots and snap peas with veggie dip. That's how I FINALLY figured out how to get my veggies back.

I drink a lot of crystal light, Starbucks non-fat drinks, Water, tea, coffee.... I know caffine isn't good, but I do it anyway.

I haven't really cheated at all. In the past 6 weeks I have eaten maybe 2 fried items, one being a mini corn dog and the other an egg roll. I haven't had any chips, Cookies, cakes, ice cream, refined sugar, etc.

I was able to eat a chicken soft taco from taco bell. I could eat the whole thing.... I heard some bandsters can only eat 1/2 taco.

I think I am due for a fill though. I know I am satisfied with eating only 2/3 to 1 cup of food, so I do not need the extra that I am able to eat right now. Because I have barely any restriction, I try to fill up on raw veggies before I go into my meal. It works, but I want to get a fill b/c that's why I got the band.

I LOVE THE BAND...!!!!!!!!!!

My co-workers say, "You've only lost 30? Looks more like 50!"

D~

Be prepared to spend A LOT of time over the toilet. Be prepared to constantly feel the "golf ball" in your esophagus after you eat. Be prepared NOT to be able to eat in front of people you havent told about the band. Be prepared to be afraid of eating ANYTHING non mushie in fear of throwing it up. Be prepared to teach yourself to eat VERY VERY slowly. Be prepared to kiss bread goodbye.

The first 6 weeks is easy, once you get your fill...thats when you will play the "get to know your band" game. Its very finicky. It loves liquids, hates bread. Forget about steak, even chicken has problems going through.

You will have that "stuck" feeling a lot, after the stuck feeling, you will salivate profusely and then everything you ate comes up.

The only thing I can eat now is Soup...any kind of Soup, but most everything else I have tried I have thrown up.

I'm 2 weeks post 1st fill..and I know i'm not too tight, since I watched the whole thing on fluoroscopy.....this is just how life is with the band.

Any many other people that I know that have this band say the same thing. Things get stuck often..and are also afraid of trying new foods in public.

I am not complaining, I am happy with my decision to get it placed.. I mean, vanity is priority #1...but these above facts DO NOT get mentioned often in this forum....at least I really havent read about it.

What an exaggerated load.

:)I am so excited to go and discuss the lap band. I have a friend who is doing great w/it. I wanted to know if anybody can feel the band around their stomach?-Thank You-Starting the journey.:eek:

:)I am so excited to go and discuss the lap band. I have a friend who is doing great w/it. I wanted to know if anybody can feel the band around their stomach?-Thank You-Starting the journey.:eek:

Elisa

No I don't feel it - the only time I would say you feel it is when you eat too much or too fast or get stuck - but that's really the food backing up on you - I don't feel the piece of plastic around the outside of my stomach

Good luck I your journey - I love my band - it is the greatest tool imho.