Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is the truth about the band

I just wanted to say something to anyone who is new or thinking about getting banded. I lost my fill (will find out why tomorrow) I can now eat like

I don't have a band.

After having restriction, and now having none, I can honestly tell you that having restriction is better. I am really afraid I have a leak and will never have restriction again.

I just wanted to say something to anyone who is new or thinking about getting banded. I lost my fill (will find out why tomorrow) I can now eat like

I don't have a band.

After having restriction, and now having none, I can honestly tell you that having restriction is better. I am really afraid I have a leak and will never have restriction again.

Hi Denise

Sorry to hear you lost your fill - I know you have been having a hard time...

I never asked what happens if we spring a leak - are our bands guareenteed for any length of time????

i'm glad you got unfilled and are improving. i'm also glad i didn't read this thread before my surgery! i would have second guessed everything.

I just hope people read thru all of the posts for clarity. education it would seem is paramount.

Be prepared to spend A LOT of time over the toilet. Be prepared to constantly feel the "golf ball" in your esophagus after you eat. Be prepared NOT to be able to eat in front of people you havent told about the band. Be prepared to be afraid of eating ANYTHING non mushie in fear of throwing it up. Be prepared to teach yourself to eat VERY VERY slowly. Be prepared to kiss bread goodbye.

The first 6 weeks is easy, once you get your fill...thats when you will play the "get to know your band" game. Its very finicky. It loves liquids, hates bread. Forget about steak, even chicken has problems going through.

You will have that "stuck" feeling a lot, after the stuck feeling, you will salivate profusely and then everything you ate comes up.

The only thing I can eat now is Soup...any kind of Soup, but most everything else I have tried I have thrown up.

I'm 2 weeks post 1st fill..and I know i'm not too tight, since I watched the whole thing on fluoroscopy.....this is just how life is with the band.

Any many other people that I know that have this band say the same thing. Things get stuck often..and are also afraid of trying new foods in public.

I am not complaining, I am happy with my decision to get it placed.. I mean, vanity is priority #1...but these above facts DO NOT get mentioned often in this forum....at least I really havent read about it.

None of the things you mentuioned have been my experience, and today is my 3-year anniversary of being banded.

Congrats Wendell on 3 years!

For anyone new reading this thread............

EVERYONE has a different EXPERIENCE period....

It all depends on YOUR BODY

What you eat (what you LIKE to eat)

How fast you eat

How well you chew

How much you are filled

How well you listen to your body....

They are NOT BANDING YOUR BRAIN........ :D

Congrats Wendell on 3 years!

For anyone new reading this thread............

EVERYONE has a different EXPERIENCE period....

It all depends on YOUR BODY

What you eat (what you LIKE to eat)

How fast you eat

How well you chew

How much you are filled

How well you listen to your body....

They are NOT BANDING YOUR BRAIN........ :)

Thanks Tracy!

I agree with everything you said.

The only thing I would add is that the original poster is OBVIOUSLY TOO TIGHT AND NEEDS A SLIGHT UNFILL.

Yes, she said she did get an unfill and is doing better.

I got a fill today and I really think he put it in wrong or something last time.

I feel very tight right now. I hope I don't have a leak, and I guess time will tell.

I don't know about guarantees with the band. I know I signed papers that said I was aware of the problems (they listed them) than can happen with the band. I really think my surgeon would do his best to fix the leak at a minimal cost. If I did get a leak, he had to have given it to me, because he pulled out all the saline before he filled me and it was all there.

Today he pulled out none and put in 3.0 so like I said, time will tell.

I have learned a lot from reading all the responses.

I did get a slight unfill and am happy to report that there is life outside of the restroom.

Things are great!!

I apologize to anyone who I offended or insulted.

Thank you

Wow, see this is what LBT is all about. When I first found this thread I went to the end and I was very upset and offended, but now I see it really was a blessing in diguise! :)

I am very glad that you are doing better, and so happy that you found everyone here to help you! Congrats to you and I hope you stay out of the potty (unless you have to go of course!)

Thank to all of you who were supportive in this case, when it would have have been easy to attack. I truly appreciate the support I get here as well. BIG GROUP HUG!! :confused:

Yes, she said she did get an unfill and is doing better.

I got a fill today and I really think he put it in wrong or something last time.

I feel very tight right now. I hope I don't have a leak, and I guess time will tell.

I don't know about guarantees with the band. I know I signed papers that said I was aware of the problems (they listed them) than can happen with the band. I really think my surgeon would do his best to fix the leak at a minimal cost. If I did get a leak, he had to have given it to me, because he pulled out all the saline before he filled me and it was all there.

Today he pulled out none and put in 3.0 so like I said, time will tell.

Denise-at one point they thought I had sprung a leak as well. After a refill and a recheck they discovered that during the fill they had lost more than they thought spraying out of the needle when she pulled out! SO It wasn't a leak it was stupid human error, so here is to you finding the same thing as well! :) Good luck.

...I can go for 8 hours and not even think about food! I still eat and remember to get in all my Protein, but I would have never imagined it was ever going to be as good as it is...

That describes my experience exactly.

I quit smoking with the nicotine patch a decade ago, and I remember being shocked at how much free time I had when I wasn't spending all my time smoking, or thinking about smoking. The patch did that for me.

The band had done something similar with my food obsession. I just "forget to obsess". I know there may be tough days ahead, but I'm VERY optimistic.

I'm new and not banded yet........I also don't know what PBing is. I love all the info and good, healthy support. I will be well educated going into this new phase of my life.....at least after I know what PBing is!

Penny

p.s. what is PB??

Productive burp = a burp with a little throw up - sort of -

slime is when you can swallow your saliva and if bubbles up out of your mouth - sort of -

there is a place on the main board that defines all the slang -

I have read every reply to the op that started this 7 page thread. I have been reading this board for the past 4 weeks like a mad women trying to educate myself as to what to expect and for encouragement to go through with getting banded. Now I am having very serious doubts.

Personally I panic very easily. I am alone at night very frequently as DH works a weird swing shift so I have NO support close by if I PB, which I apparently will or get that stuck feeling. For me, that 'stuck' feeling would be asimilar to choking, not cool, I would panic myself to death, also the golf ball feeling in my esophagus, same thing, panic to death. I am a self pay patient as my BC has the "clause" no cov for any tx for obesity. I opted to go to Mexico for my surgery and have a date of Sept 28th. Another problem, I do have a doctor who will take over my care and do my fills but he is 2 hours away. So now I'm thinking, after reading all of this, with the way I panic, and being home alone, if a problem does arise, my doctor is 2 hours away, I have no close friends to call for help or support, I'm screwed!!!!! :omg: and now very depressed because I seriously am doubting if I can go through this by myself. I thought I had this all worked out in my mind but the truth is, with all the adjusting to the band problems that can and probably will take place I just don't see me coping that well.I have certainly done a thorough job of letting this op talk me out of my band. I could cry and I don't cry.

It will not be a good night for me. Poor poor pitiful me:( Well crap!

For me, Docsdeb, being "stuck" is nothing like choking. Nothing at all.

And PB'ing in not a medical emergency. It is unlikely that you will need any sort of assistance to PB.