Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months post op and still can't keep food down

I had my gastric sleeve surgery in June 2015. Over the next 4-5 months I was unable to keep any food down except popsicles and a few animal crackers. If I tried to drink Protein Shakes, they came right back up and not just a little of it, everything comes back up. Very violent vomiting. Same with all forms of meat, Beans, etc. Now I'm 9 months post op but still have trouble keeping most foods down. I can eat about 3 teaspoons of Cereal, milk, a couple small nibbles of cheese, etc at a time but about half the time it comes back up. I've tried Protein Bars, Protein shakes, Protein powder, etc. Nothing stays down. And, I've now lost about 75% of my hair -- fortunately it was very thick originally. I had my surgery due to a joint disease that I have that was causing my joints to break down and the bone to die. Hoped getting the excess weight off would help. It has helped. I was 228 pounds when I had my surgery. Currently at 131 pounds. My goal was to lose to 140 pounds so I'm perfectly happy at the weight I am at. Just really need to find some foods that will stay down. I have figured out that crunch foods have a better chance of staying down. Today I've been able to keep down half a slice of bacon, about 1/4 of a scrambled egg, 4-5 animal crackers, about 3 tablespoons of taco Soup and a couple of goldfish crackers. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions?

what has your team recommended? it seems strange that they would let you go on like this. and, I'm sorry you've had this trouble. I am only two weeks out but so far everything I have tried I've not had problems with.

Have you been working with your surgeon to resolve this? Any diagnostics done to see what might be going on? Kind of sounds like a stricture. Have you had an upper GI/barium swallow? Scope? CT scan?

Gina, you need to get a dr to perform and EGD. I had the same issues and had 8 EGDS done one the first 2 years post op to learn After switching dr's for the last one that I had scar tissue that needed to be removed after that I was able to keep food down due to him "cleaning up that mess". Then bad news followed over the next 3 years I started to gain weight, developed a n ulcer and now a hiatal hernia in my new pouch. I am 6 years post op and getting ready to undergo a revision to remove the ulcer. This is something that you should now ignore. Please talk to your dr asap and if nothing else get a second opinion.

Im kind of confused here, you say your starting weight was 228 pounds, you wanted to lose 140 pounds? so your goal weight was 80 pounds?

Something not right here? and it cant be 40 pounds you wanted to lose as no one gets surgery for 40 pounds, so whats the real deal here. and whats with the animal crackers? That makes no sense.

also you say your at 131 pounds yet your ticker says 190 pounds. None of these numbers make any sense at all.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery in June 2015. Over the next 4-5 months I was unable to keep any food down except popsicles and a few animal crackers. If I tried to drink Protein Shakes, they came right back up and not just a little of it, everything comes back up. Very violent vomiting. Same with all forms of meat, Beans, etc. Now I'm 9 months post op but still have trouble keeping most foods down. I can eat about 3 teaspoons of cereal, milk, a couple small nibbles of cheese, etc at a time but about half the time it comes back up. I've tried Protein bars, protein shakes, Protein Powder, etc. Nothing stays down. And, I've now lost about 75% of my hair -- fortunately it was very thick originally. I had my surgery due to a joint disease that I have that was causing my joints to break down and the bone to die. Hoped getting the excess weight off would help. It has helped. I was 228 pounds when I had my surgery. Currently at 131 pounds. My goal was to lose to 140 pounds so I'm perfectly happy at the weight I am at. Just really need to find some foods that will stay down. I have figured out that crunch foods have a better chance of staying down. Today I've been able to keep down half a slice of bacon, about 1/4 of a scrambled egg, 4-5 animal crackers, about 3 tablespoons of taco Soup and a couple of goldfish crackers. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions?

This sounds like a serious issue that you need to work with your bariatric team to solve.

Im kind of confused here, you say your starting weight was 228 pounds, you wanted to lose 140 pounds? so your goal weight was 80 pounds?

Something not right here? and it cant be 40 pounds you wanted to lose as no one gets surgery for 40 pounds, so whats the real deal here. and whats with the animal crackers? That makes no sense.

also you say your at 131 pounds yet your ticker says 190 pounds. None of these numbers make any sense at all.

Actually she said she wanted "to lose to 140", and apparently just hasn't updated her ticker.

Gina, you need to get a dr to perform and EGD. I had the same issues and had 8 EGDS done one the first 2 years post op to learn After switching dr's for the last one that I had scar tissue that needed to be removed after that I was able to keep food down due to him "cleaning up that mess". Then bad news followed over the next 3 years I started to gain weight, developed a n ulcer and now a hiatal hernia in my new pouch. I am 6 years post op and getting ready to undergo a revision to remove the ulcer. This is something that you should now ignore. Please talk to your dr asap and if nothing else get a second opinion.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to have to get a second opinion., My doctor says I'll stop vomiting eventually. Try different foods, etc. After 9 months of vomiting, I just feel like something is wrong.

I never updated my tickler (finally did it today). Didn't want to lose 40 pounds, wanted to lose 88 pounds (228 - 140 = 88 pounds, not 40!) Goal weight was 140. Have now lost more than that -- at 130 as of today. As for the animal crackers, I was told by my doctor to get calories in and eat whatever would stay down. Only thing that stays down with any regularity is crunch food like saltines and animal crackers.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to have to get a second opinion., My doctor says I'll stop vomiting eventually. Try different foods, etc. After 9 months of vomiting, I just feel like something is wrong.

You are right to feel that something is wrong, because it is. Please seek out another doctor. Yours is obviously not interested in your well being. What you are experiencing is NOT normal.

I had a similar experience with the surgeon who removed my gallbladder. At two weeks out I knew I had a hernia (which he created). It was protruding, I could reduce it and actually stick my finger in the hole of my abdominal wall. I am a vet tech....I know what a hernia feels like. When I pointed it out to him he just said it was normal swelling. I then had my partner (a veterinarian) confirm it was a hernia. Then went to my PCP and he confirmed it was a hernia. Then had the ultrasound tech scan it while I Was in for a different procedure and she confirmed it. I went BACK to the original surgeon and he STILL won't admit it's a hernia.

Granted, my experience is not anywhere near as serious as yours, but just goes to show there are arrogant surgeons who refuse to admit they may have screwed up. And it is the patients that suffer for it. If you can't find a decent bariatric surgeon, try a gastroenterologist. They would be able to perform all the necessary and appropriate diagnostic tests. Maybe even ask your PCP for a referral.

I can't imagine he thinks it is normal to vomit for 9 months. You need to go somewhere else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App