Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Northern Ontario on the Band Wagon?

Affordability

Home » Office and Financial Info » Affordability

ad_meetourteam_inner.gif

ad_aboutobesity.gif

ad_bmi1.gif

ad_estore1.gif

ad_contact1.gif

img_affordability.jpgWeight loss can change your life and significantly improve your health. You may also find that dramatic weight loss can greatly reduce weight-related costs, which on average can be more than $15,000 a year! What better investment could you make in yourself and your future?

Today many health plans cover the LAP-BAND ® or REALIZE BAND ® procedure and most if not all of the costs will be paid for. Each health plan will have certain criteria that need to be met before you can actually have the surgery. Talk to your surgeon about health plans in your area that cover LAP-BAND® or REALIZE BAND ® surgery. In some cases your insurance may not cover the LAP-BAND® or REALIZE BAND ® procedure. This can be in the form of a "Denial" to what is called a Prior Authorization Request.

Following denial or when insurance coverage for the LAP-BAND ® System procedure is not available, there are several alternatives that can be considered as viable payment options. These include lump sum payment and affordable patient financing.

Beginning January 1st of 2008 (for a limited time), we are pleased to be able to offer either the LAP-BAND ® or REALIZE BAND ® procedure at Jewish Hospital, which is a full-service, tertiary care Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, for $12,500 (this is one of the most affordable prices in the region). This includes surgery, anesthesia, outpatient hospital stay, and 2 years of band adustments and care from Dr. Curry's team. We are grateful to Jewish Hospital for making this price reduction available to our patients!

Watch Our Short LAP-BAND® Movie

Affordability Calculator

Hi Giselle;

At my clinic TLBC it costs $16,000 incl Gst. for the Lapband and any proceedures for life.

At SWLC in Mississauga its $17,000 plus Gst. don't know how long you are covered for subsequent fills and revisions(if necessary)

At SWLC, it's $16000 period, no taxes since they do not charge tax and adjustments are forever. They've had to do band replacements and everything was covered.

they must have revised their prices then as when I was 'shopping around' for a band surgeon in June they were more expensive than TLBC.

I hear good reports on both clinics

Thanks for the info! I'm still trying to figure out who can do fills in Thunder Bay; I'd like to know for sure this can be done, otherwise its just more travel/expense/time away etc. I'll be making some calls to get this info. My friend had by-pass done, with great results. Someone mentioned to me a sleeve may be a better option b/c of no need for fills; I'm wondering what people's opinion is on this? I know nothing is an absolute fix, it is a tool to be used, and it will be up to me to determine the success with diet and exercise; but just wondered if that may be a better option?

Also, my BMI is about 36, some places I've read about use 40 as a guideline. Is that true of TLBC, SWLC?

Thanks for the info, I don't mean to be bothersome, just want as much info to make a good decision!

Giselle,

I'm not sure about TLBC but with SWLC you can do your consult over the phone to get all your questions answered. Neither clinic charges a consult fee either so you are best to talk to both places and find the one that suits you best. Both are great clinics and both offer different things that appeal to everyone. There are actually 3 other clinics in Toronto but you never hear of their patients so that's why I stayed away from them. The other 2 do a lot more per week and have been doing them for years now.

As for the BMI, a lot of clinics will put a baseline down but they will band lower BMI's. I know patients of both clinics and some started out very low BMI and they were still done.

If you want to get info from SWLC regarding their fill person in Thunder Bay just email info@lapband.ca and just tell them you are looking into the procedure and tell them where you live and wondering if they have a person in Thunder Bay still and find out what the cost if for an adjustment with him/her. Fills at the clinic are covered but fills with other people have a fee of anywhere from $75 to $125. I get mine done locally and it cost me a lot less to pay the minimal fee to get a fill at home instead of having to go to Toronto. That's a 2 day excursion for me to go back to the clinic so I gladly budget for fills locally since one trip per year to the clinic cost me as much as all my fills locally in a year.

The sleeve is fairly new and it's actually half of a DS(Duodenal Switch). It's much more invasive surgery just like the RNY(Gastric Bypass). Just keep looking into all your options and when you find the right device and surgeon, you will know it. I consulted for 2 years before making the plunge but when I met Dr. Cobourn, I knew there was no more looking involved. Most people I know in the banded community have all felt the same way with their surgeon of choice.

Good luck in your hunt.

Giselle; YOu are not a bother. The more informed you are about this decision the better. You should NEVER enter into any surgery lightly.

Regarding the sleeve, I do like the sounds of it vs. the Gastric bypass as they don't cut any intestines and do any rerouting. They only cut off part of your stomach & discard.

But with LAPBAND, if ever for some health related reason (pregnancy or fighting Cancer) where you needed more nutrition, it could be unfilled and then refilled afterwards. I actually met a lady at TLBC in the reception area who had just had her baby and was coming back to get her top=up fill...

She lost 100 lbs pre baby, got preggers, unfilled, delivered healthy baby, and know wanted to get her baby weight back off..and continue it was great meeting her.

TLBC will give your family doctor a CD which details how he/she can do the fills for you in your OWN home town. That might solve your travel problems... I understand you not wanting to travel as much as I've had to do.

But then again I'm 2 hours from the clinic not 18hrs. by car.

Call Nancy RN the fill nurse and she can tell you more about the CD

Thanks so much Peaches! I like the flexibility of the band...not that I'm planning on having another baby!!!; unless someone wants to have it for me!!haha! I'm convinced I want the surgery, now I just need to research doc's etc. This forum is great on giving good sound information, thank you again!

Giselle,

I was just on the SWLC website and Thunder Bay is listed as one of the cities where they have trained a doctor/nurse to do fills but it's strictly for their patients. I got a DVD and a CD from the SWLC once I found a doctor locally that would do my fills for me. The local doctor had to be approved by the clinic so as to not void the warranty on the band.

If you would like the name of the other clinics, I can provide you with their websites as well and am also trying to find out more info on the Winnipeg Clinic in case that is a better option for you as well. I had heard Dr. Barr's Plastic Surgery Clinic in Sudbury was thinking of doing bands but so far it's a no go.

Thanks fousilly; Winnipeg is about the same distance as Toronto would be. I'm actually thinking of going to Detroit, as the surgery is cheaper there than in Canada, and I think my family would be more comfortable with me there than in Mexico!! I know the one clinic in Detroit uses Dr. Cobourne, but that's still as far as Detroit is for me!! Oh well, I'll get it figured out. I'm not in a rush, but would like to have it done by the spring? I'm looking into my health coverage...well that's a joke!!

thanks again!

Thanks fousilly; Winnipeg is about the same distance as Toronto would be. I'm actually thinking of going to Detroit, as the surgery is cheaper there than in Canada, and I think my family would be more comfortable with me there than in Mexico!! I know the one clinic in Detroit uses Dr. Cobourne, but that's still as far as Detroit is for me!! Oh well, I'll get it figured out. I'm not in a rush, but would like to have it done by the spring? I'm looking into my health coverage...well that's a joke!!

thanks again!

sounds like a viable option for you... as you are going to have to pay out of pocket for fills anyways in the Soo....

I'd opt for Detroit

But good luck in whatever you decide... be sure to PM me when you make your decision. I'd like to know how you made out. :lol:

Hello everyone:

I live in North Bay and was banded in Alberta, have not found a doc here to do it but I will be going to Ottawa to have a fill.

Sherri

I am from Thunder bay also and i am going to get banded at the end of June,2009. Any advice? Pretty nervous!

Roxanne

I am so frustrated!!!! Does anyone out there know where I can get a fill Doctor in Thunderbay..the clinic I joined with can not find me one and I have decided to find one on my own!

Please help:)

I am so frustrated!!!! Does anyone out there know where I can get a fill Doctor in Thunderbay..the clinic I joined with can not find me one and I have decided to find one on my own!

Please help:)

Ummm, sorry I don`t know anyone in Thunderbay.

I live in Barrie, Ont. and there is a clinic that does LAPBAND there... its called Lakeview Surgery Clinic... you could try them..

Where did you get banded? Toronto??

yes, Erica at the Thunder Bay laser clinic on Victoria Ave does . ..622 0411. I have had it done there:thumbup: