Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just got approved, timeline question

justt heard I got approved, on appeal. very happy.

I can go in on a monday, from 24 Sept. now I am thinking about time tables.

on 13 Oct I am going on a vacation with my family to florida. on 15 November I am at a very important trade show for me. for the trade show, I need to be able to sit at a dinner table with people and, at least look like I am eating.

if I go in on 24 Sept. what will I be able to eat on 13 Oct (3 weeks later)?

If I do the surgury on 22 Oct what will I be able to eat on 15 Nov?

anybody have any guidance?

also, is it realistic to plan on being at work a week later? I sit at a desk all day, nothing too strenous.

thanks all

It really all depends on the doctor.. Some doctors permit their patients to move to a "mushie" diet 2 weeks after surgery... some (my dr included) make their patients wait 4 weeks before moving on to "mushies".

You can return to work a week later depending on the job.. if you have a desk job you should be ok... maybe a little sore and tired.. but it can be done.

No way you can get in any earlier? You might as well kiss of 30 days after surgery as far as food goes. Actually, if you are on mushies by that time you can probably eat somewhat....fish is about the only meat-like substance that fits that category, cottage cheese would work, jellos, etc. But for the most part you're gonna be limited bigtime to things like Soups. Now that is based on what MY doctor orders....1 week solid liquids after surgery, remainder up to 30 days after surgery is "mushies". No solid foods prior to that. Doesn't leave a lot of leeway, but soups at restaurants, etc. are a good bet. I also had thinks like tuna salad during the mushie stage which worked fine. If you are at a trade show with a banquet thing you aren't going to be able to pick and choose (and they probably won't have soup)...if you are at a restaurant, you might be able to have some selection.

I went in for surgery on Wednesday before Memorial Day. I went back to work the following Tuesday. I also sit at a desk and do computer stuff. It worked okay for me but I sure wouldn't have wanted to go back any sooner. That was six days. I think I actually felt pretty good by about the 8th day after surgery.

I'm totally backwards I guess..but the worst is the first week on liquids..then the mushy stage...which is just hard to find enough to keep you full..after that (3-5 weeks post op) was really the hard part for me. I was able to eat far too much!

Just my opinion, but the couple of weeks prior to your first fill would really be a good time to go out of town. There's little or no restriction yet, but you're still healing, therefore you still need to stick to the soft foods. Quantity wise, you'll probably be able to eat more than you think. Just pick around the meats, unless there's some good soft turkey with gravy or something to choose from. I'd just load up your suitcase with cup of noodles & oatmeal packets in case the choices are not perfect for soft food. You can always add Water and fill in the gaps that way. Then..come home and start fills until you get there...I'm 5 months post op and I have a much harder time traveling now that I have a lot of restriction than I was 1 month out. Good luck & congratulations!!

I went on a weekend vacation with two of my friends two weeks after surgery. I moved from full liquids to mushies the second day of the trip. I ate alot of Soups, scrambled eggs, pudding, etc. Of course i took my Protein Drinks with me and drank those alot too. I think i only spent $25 on food for the whole weekend which was a great plus. Depending on your dr orders you should be ok 3 weeks post op.

I am scheduled for surgery on 8/8 and 3 weeks later I am traveling for 2 weeks internationally. I know it is going to be rough with the food but my doctor said medically it should be fine.