Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think I should add another shake?

Surgery on 02/15. I'm losing on average about a pound every other day or so. I'm fine with that. I know my body is doing what it needs to do. I am, however, concerned about my Protein intake. My doctor has me on 3 small meals of 3-4 TBSP of pureed food plus one shake. The amount of protein available in the eaten portions is negligible in those amounts.

I have no problem drinking the Water. I get 64 oz a day pretty easily. I was always a huge water/coffee drinker, so I'm used to taking in fluids.

Last night I actually felt hungry. I had another 2 TBSP of cottage cheese. That's when I thought about how much protein I must be eating daily. I was consuming more protein during the full liquid stage where I had 3 shakes a day.

Thoughts?

Edited by songsmith

Surgery on 02/15. I'm losing on average about a pound every other day or so. I'm fine with that. I know my body is doing what it needs to do. I am, however, concerned about my Protein intake. My doctor has me on 3 small meals of 3-4 TBSP of pureed food plus one shake. The amount of Protein available in the eaten portions is negligible in those amounts.

I have no problem drinking the Water. I get 64 oz a day pretty easily. I was always a huge water/coffee drinker, so I'm used to taking in fluids.

Last night I actually felt hungry. I had another 2 TBSP of cottage cheese. That's when I thought about how much protein I must be eating daily. I was consuming more protein during the full liquid stage where I had 3 shakes a day.

Thoughts?

I find that reaching my protein target every day has been a critical success factor for me.

If you have not met your protein target then by all means eat some protein: whether it is a cheese stick, some protein pudding, or a Protein Shake shouldn't make a difference as far as I am concerned.

duplicate post ...

Thanks, everyone! Like I said, I met the Protein requirements during the liquid stage, but not since they scaled back the number of shakes for the pureed stage. I don't think it can be good for my body. I will try it for a few days to see how I feel. I don't want my body to start cannibalizing my muscles! :o

I do have Greek yogurt. Last night I felt guilty about having an "extra" meal so grabbed the first "allowable" Protein I saw.

Just FYI, by Day 5 post-op I was slugging down 60 grams of Protein -- a couple of GNC Lean shakes 25s (swiss chocolate) and a 5.3 ounce container of Greek yogurt (vanilla) got me there.

Wow! I couldn't take in 5 ounces just now. 3 1/2 TBSP is my absolute limit--and that's pushing it! Funny how we're all different and what our doctors have us do is all different.

I know as my sleeve adjusts I'll be able to eat more so getting in the Protein won't be as much of a problem.

Like others said, do whatever you need to to get in at least 60g Protein.....even more if and when you can. Like @@VSGAnn2014 I was getting in my 60g by 5 days postop. And I needed shakes to do this for at least the first year. I drank 2-3/day for at least 4 months until I could finally eat more than a couple spoonfuls of solid food at a time. At 26 months out I still have a daily Protein shake. Makes it so much easier than having to always eat protein at every meal/snack.

I added another shake yesterday (mixed it with Greek yogurt) and guess what? Lost more than I have before and I feel more energetic. It was a good decision. Thank you, everyone, for advising me!