Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First meeting with surgeon and treatment team tomorrow

So, I have my first appointment with my surgeon (or at least a surgeon I am considering) tomorrow. I was originally looking at Lap-Band but after learning that most insurances only pay for one bariatric surgery per lifetime, I'm not willing to risk the possibilities of slippage and lesser overall weight loss if I can't revise to RNY later. My insurance doesn't cover the sleeve, so I guess I'm looking at gastric bypass, assuming he gives the go-ahead.

I've been doing a ton of research, both on this website and in books....I have my questions ready re: how many surgeries he's performed, what percentage of his surgeries are WLS, why he chose bariatric surgery, what about gallstone prevention, how much weight can I reasonably expect to lose if I adhere to the diet, when can I reasonably expect to have the surgery scheduled. I have questions for the dietitian re: how to change my pre-op eating pattern to 3 meals instead of undereating during the day and grazing at night and just overall making healthier choices so I can succeed in the mandatory 3-month supervised diet.

Anyway, are there any other questions I should ask? Is there anything you wish you'd asked your surgeon or dietitian at your initial consult?

I had my surgery done in a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. There are many scattered throughout the country. The advantage was that they specialized in this type of surgery and had a complete complement of staff to support the surgery. My surgeon only performed this type of surgery. The nutricianist were specialized for weight loss surgery. The entire range of pre-op testing was done in that hospital. They provided courses. They had staff to work the insurance problems. They chartered and managed the various Bariatric Surgery Support Group Meeting scattered throughout the state. It was like a full meal deal (pardon the pun).

I had my surgery done in a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. There are many scattered throughout the country. The advantage was that they specialized in this type of surgery and had a complete complement of staff to support the surgery. My surgeon only performed this type of surgery. The nutricianist were specialized for weight loss surgery. The entire range of pre-op testing was done in that hospital. They provided courses. They had staff to work the insurance problems. They chartered and managed the various Bariatric Surgery Support Group Meeting scattered throughout the state. It was like a full meal deal (pardon the pun).

I had mine done in a place like this too. It was great. Everything was in one place and they helped schedule anything that needed to be done outside of them. They also said they would handle any possible appeals to my insurance.

@@katanne, if you are in New Jersey I can very highly recommend my place to you

So I had my meeting. Everything and everyone is set up in one place like the two of you have experienced, fortunately. I felt very comfortable with the surgeon and nurse and will be meeting with the nutritionist shortly (she had to leave early because of a family emergency, so I'll be seeing her later this week). I have a HUGE binder of info and a bunch of appointments to go to and am nervous/excited.

They told me my insurance DOES cover the sleeve! And that it's not uncommon for the people you talk to on the phone at insurance companies to give you incorrect info about your own insurance. Ugh. I decided on the sleeve because I'm on a lot of medications and will be able to stay on the exact same doses afterward because there's no malabsorption. I'm relieved that I'll be able to get the procedure of my choice. The doctor said I'd be having surgery in June or July at the latest, as I'd hoped, so I'm psyched about that.

That's awesome! I'm likely getting my RNY come June (unless my mother-in-law decides she's coming <_< ). The COE that I'm going to is covered by my insurance and so the requirements aren't as stringent (having a BMI of 49.1 also speeds things up), and I also had a sleep study 15 years ago.