Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 7 weeks out...physical stall and emotional stall happening....

So, today I am meeting a friend for lunch and considering joining a gym. I am weighing in at 188 lbs. The day of my surgery, 53 days ago I weighed in at 216. For the past two weeks I have been 188 or 189 and my mind is starting to go a bit crazy. I haven't exercised--because I have been exhausted. It has been a huge change to go from eating everything, to eating very small portions of nutrient dense food. I haven't felt that I even had the energy to exercise. Now, I am thinking that perhaps exercise can help me with my energy levels and help me with this plateau. I have a total aversion to exercise, but I didn't spend this kind of money (self-paid) and undergo surgery so I could be chunky and exhausted. I feel very sad--I feel afraid that perhaps this won't work for me--and then I feel hopeful, because I see so many of your successes. I feel a lot of things now that I am not packing in the food constantly. I have a complete aversion to exercise because I spent so much of my life spending energy and money on resolutions, exercise plans and weight loss solutions--only to never be able to follow through. I am going to try to do the opposite of what I have done: attempt moderation in exercise. I'll keep you all posted. Today, I feel vulnerable.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Feeling vulnerable, tired, and exhausted is very common this soon after surgery. You are still healing from major surgery and you hormones are going wacky because of the rapid weight loss.

Also, none of us lose weight at a constant or steady rate. Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the weight loss process. If you intend to lose a significant amount of weight, you will stall.

That said, exercise is important to be healthy. It will help you burn fat, retain muscle, regulate those wacky hormones, and gain energy, and just generally feel better.

You don't have to go all out crazy, but it helps to have some exercise goals.

My bariatric program recommends some sort of physical movement at least one hour a day. You could even start out with a goal of 30 minutes a day.

You don't have to do it all at once. You could start with short 5 or 10-minute walks several times a day. The key is to MOVE.

You could invest in a pedometer or fitness tracker to track your steps.

You could take a dance class.

You could swim. I happen to prefer swimming so I have been in the pool since I have been cleared: I take Water aerobics, and swim laps. I can do much more in the Water than I can do on land.

Try something. I almost guarantee you will start to feel much better physically, mentally, and emotionally sooner if you do.

P.S. Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Honestly, if you just start doing little things like taking the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator, Park further away from the store in the parking lot, take the kids to the park or a dog for a walk, you will already start to feel better just knowing you're doing SOMETHING more and making an effort. You don't need to be a gym rat to move more. Getting your heart rate up is the key. Take those first little steps and go from there!

What @@Babbs said.... I've never "excercised" at all since surgery. I was self pay, too, but I knew I would never adopt an excercise regimen. I hate excercise and always have. Wasted hundreds of dollars on gym memberships. I have a recumbent bike and Nordic track collecting dust in the spare room.

But I do do all those things Babbs mentioned....I park in the farthest spot away from the store, I take my dog for hikes. I take stairs, never an escalator or elevator. I walk between terminals in the airport rather than use the people movers. I have a physical job that involved a lot of bending, squatting, kneeling and lifting.

Studies show that diet, not excercise, is responsible for weight loss. Sure, excercise will increase your strength and stamina and improve muscle tone, but you can actually lose weight without it.

So as for your stall, don't worry about it. They are normal and it will pass. As for your energy levels, what are you eating? Meeting Fluid and Protein goals every day? Getting in some healthy carbs and fats? (Adding pureed fruit to my Protein smoothies really helped with my energy early on) What supplements are you taking? Have you had bloodwork done to check for deficiencies?

I am meeting my Protein goals, sometimes I forget to take my Vitamins. My surgeon said I could take two chewable flinstone vitamins...I know it sounds strange. I continually have to remind myself to drink water--which can be challenging. I am often fatigued and often very frustrated with my son (he is 17 and not very nice)--which I think adds to my fatigue. I also run my own business and spend a lot of time sedentary--just sitting and writing. I am so glad for the sleeve, but I think I need to find a way to combat my exhaustion. And Thank you so much surfer girl for the link back to your post on stalls--it was very helpful.

Leilie

Sorry for your struggles. I guess from a nutrition standpoint I'd say try to drink more.....64-100oz daily. Dehydration can certainly make you feel crappy as well as create and prolong stalls. And make sure you are taking your Vitamins with some fat. I always take my multi with a couple spoonfuls of regular cottage cheese or Peanut Butter. You need the fat to absorb Vitamins D, E, A and K. You should also be taking extra Vitamin D, Iron, Calcium and a sublingual B12. Calcium has to be taken separate from iron. And we can't absorb oral B12 anymore so it has to be taken in sublingual or injectable form. Low B12, low iron and low Vitamin D can also all account for your feelings if fatigue.