Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure which way to go...

Hi, I am 5'7 and 229 lbs. I have went through all the appointments and diet class and have sleep apnea. So waiting for the Written insurance approval but I am scared. I am worried about the preop diet and the post op diet as well. I have a 14 yr old and a 4 year old and I am worried making them dinner or husband lunches I won't be able to handle not EATTING. I am worried to be one that is so sick after and vomits. I had spinal fusion last December and still trying to recover and all back but this may be right around the corner. I am worried about losing weight and looking older, losing my hair, and just some of the stories scare me.

Am I just trying to find a way out because also my mother well, is not supportive at all and say I'm not that big to need that...

Am I just looking to this the wrong way? I have done many diets and so fat and hard to be active because of my spine but I'm walking more now. Maybe I am just scared about this all and added stressors too? I was thrilled to find out I had apnea so I would qualify. Now, insurance is re reviewing because of the apnea test results so I've been like thinking this is a sign for me to stop? Idk! Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not everyone gets sick and vomits. You are focusing on the possible negatives. Focus on the positives

Only you can decide if this is for you. One thing you can do is make a list of all the risks/drawbacks to having surgery, and all of the risks/drawbacks to not having surgery. Then make a list of all the benefits of having surgery and a list of all the benefits to not having surgery.

What do you see your life looking like in 5-10 years if you don't have surgery and what could your life look like if you do?

Keep asking questions, reading, and researching until you are at peace with your decision. You don't have to decide everything right now.

By the way, I was sleeved April 20, 2015 and have vomited once and I don't think it had anything to do with my sleeve.

i also had the same concerns. my biggest fear was feeling nauseated. i did not want to deal with that. i have no9t been nauseated one single time. i have had a very easy ride. my surgery was nov., 17. i have felt great for the most part. once i was dehydrated and felt bad. i wasnt aware that losing hair could happen until i read about on here. i started losing haair about a month ago. i always thought if i started losing hair i would die. just die. i am dealing with it and not stressing. it will grow back. before surgery i had to make myself NOT eat. now, i have to make myself eat. i get hungry but have to get my Protein. it is actually pretty darn easy for me and i was addicted to coke and sugar and carbs. the pre op liquid diet for me was not fun. i survived it and it wasnt as bad as i dreaded. would i do this again? hell ya!!!!

You have a lot of valid concerns. I'm 8 days post op and haven't had any issues making food for my loved ones. Actually i want NOTHING to do with food at this point. I did experience some nausea but asked my doctor for some anti nausea medicine and it worked perfectly. All those things could happen but if you follow the plan they're less likely. You'll do great with whatever you choose.

I appreciate everyone's post! I unfortunately found out today my insurance denied my surgery because of newly diagnosed with sleep apnea and not big enough bmi. What my insurance didn't know is I had spinal fractures and spinal degeneration so I can't exercise at all right now from having fusion done in December. I called dr and told them all that they can do is a peer to peer review but they close early today so I left a message and hopefully Monday am the dr will do it?! Idk.. Just saddens me now cause I have prepared myself mentally to do this AND the office was gonna schedule me for March 2 ... Now it will be too late. I guess if it's meant to be it will work out. But sux because hubby has to go back to work as he's been off helping with kids as I'm JUST starting to drive from spinal surgery..

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I appreciate everyone's post! I unfortunately found out today my insurance denied my surgery because of newly diagnosed with sleep apnea and not big enough bmi. What my insurance didn't know is I had spinal fractures and spinal degeneration so I can't exercise at all right now from having fusion done in December. I called dr and told them all that they can do is a peer to peer review but they close early today so I left a message and hopefully Monday am the dr will do it?! Idk.. Just saddens me now cause I have prepared myself mentally to do this AND the office was gonna schedule me for March 2 ... Now it will be too late. I guess if it's meant to be it will work out. But sux because hubby has to go back to work as he's been off helping with kids as I'm JUST starting to drive from spinal surgery.. [emoji17]

At 5'7 and 229#, your BMI is just over 35, which is the bare minimum for most insurers with a qualifying comorbidity. It's a lot to ask of your body to recover from both spine surgery and weight loss surgery. Are you sure the time is right? That's not a question for you to answer here, but one to ask yourself.