Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could I have caused bad damage?

I did something really stupid and wonder if I could have cause permanent damage. I'm almost four weeks out, and at four weeks, our doctor allows us to go in our forever diet. About five days early, I got a horrible craving for cheese sticks with marinara. I'd been eating cheese sticks just fine but not, of course, with a crust or fried, but things had been going so smoothly, I thought it would be fine if I took tiny bites and chewed them to mush. Because I'm never allowed starches or sugar, I breaded them with powdered parmesan and fried them. I ate one and a half of them and immediately regretted it. I was very ill, needing to burp but couldn't, because the hot cheese had wadded up in my stomach no matter how much I chewed. I finally felt better, but the next day, my stomach was swollen and painful... Much more than after surgery! I went back in Clear Liquids until it settled down, but even now, it swells after I eat and it didn't do that before. My dietician doesn't seem too concerned, but it scares me. Anyone else ever have something similar happen? Any suggestions? Could I have done real damage? I don't have fever or any other symptoms. Any insight would be appreciated!

Sorry for the typos. Autocorrect is my enemy!

No. It takes a lot to damage your sleeve.

And what do you mean that you're never allowed starches or sugars? I had them at 4 weeks

Listen to your NUT. You most likely didn't do any damage but you did get to experience first-hand what can happen when you go off plan. Most of the guidelines are provided based on other people's experience. They give us pretty detailed guidelines so we don't have to repeat the same mistakes.

Do you take a PPI? I wonder if the garlic and grease are the culprit?

You didn't damage your sleeve. This all sounds like soft food and at 4 weeks, you're mostly healed enough that even harder foods (like lettuce, chips, etc) probably won't hurt you much. You probably feel sick because you haven't eaten that stuff lately and your stomach is not used to it. I am 2.5 years out and what you ate would have had me puking in 5 minutes. My stomach doesn't do grease or cheese, so yours may not be a fan of that stuff either. You didn't physically hurt yourself, but maybe this serves as a good reminder to try to not eat stuff like that for awhile.

No. It takes a lot to damage your sleeve.

And what do you mean that you're never allowed starches or sugars? I had them at 4 weeks

At our bariatric center, we're not allowed starches or sugars for life, except fruit as part of a meal once a day after we reach goal. Our guidelines are to eat 2/3 Protein and 1/3 non starchy veggies/fruit forever. They are really strict, but they have a very low incidence of patients regaining their weight.

Do you take a PPI? I wonder if the garlic and grease are the culprit?

I don't... It was probably the grease. I feel like an idiot!

I think most sleevers have "pushed the envelope" and lived to regret it.

Lesson learned?

Learning experience.

Back on track. You got this!

I totally understand it happen to me a couple days ago and I felt so much pressure and bloated in my stomach for a full day!! I thought I open a stitch :/ but I'm fine my doctor gave me meds for acid reflux and told me to buy gas-x for gas!! Don't worry you will be fine, tomorrow it'll be two weeks i had surgery!! Believe me I understand y!! It happens to anyone!! Take care!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For the first two months I could not eat anything with grease. I would vomit instantly. I'm almost four months out now, and I am continually amazed at what seems to 'swell up' in my stomach. I'll take a bite or two, and it feels like I'm going to explode! Raw veggies and any Beans are the current culprits for that, btw.