Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arizona lap-band surgeons

Ok, all. I thought it might be helpful if we had a thread dedicated to the surgeons in AZ for new people that might be interested in referrals or information. Feel free to post about your experiences!

So, here's my story....

I went to seminars w/ Dr. Simpson, Dr. Blackstone, and Dr. DeBarros (WLIAZ). For me, there wasn't a question about who I felt most comforatable with and who I felt knew my needs the best. I went w/ the team of Dr. DeBarros and Dr. Orris at WLIAZ.

I am a cash pay patient. I'll be honest; they were not the cheapest. However, I firmly believe you get what you pay for so finding the best deal was a concern, but not my biggest priority. My biggest priority was, of course, my safety and well-being.

Anyway, it has been a little more than two months since banding and I couldn't be happier. I have made good progress (52 pounds so far!), and I am pleased w/ the support I have gotten. Mike (the dietician) is the best. There have been several times when I needed questions answered and one time in particular I just needed to reach somebody. He has always replied right away and gone out of his way to help. He's awesome.

Dr. DeBarros has a great bedside manor. I appreciate that he spends time with you when you are in and does the fills himself. It's a relief to know your surgeon is not going to hand you over to a NP or someone else after surgery. I hear that his partner, Dr. Orris, is great, too, although I don't have any personal experience w/ him. I do like the fact that there are the two of them, though. There is always somebody on call that can be reached, if needed.

So, that in a nutshell is my experience. Anyone else?:)

I have had my 4th supervised diet appt. I am now starting to think seriously that this may really happen! ;)

I have two questions:

1. What is the pre-surgery requirement? liquids only? Two weeks?

2. How many fills are included in the surgery cost?

I am getting excited now that I am more than half way there:clap2::)

I have had my 4th supervised diet appt. I am now starting to think seriously that this may really happen! ;)

I have two questions:

1. What is the pre-surgery requirement? liquids only? Two weeks?

2. How many fills are included in the surgery cost?

I am getting excited now that I am more than half way there:clap2::)

Karen,

Congrats! You are getting so close! :)

I was on a two week liquid Protein diet prior to surgery. Different surgeons have different requirements, though, so I would definately check w/ your doctor's office.

What about Dr. Berger? Anyone? I know Coyotegirl had him but she hasn't been on lately.

What about Dr. Berger? Anyone? I know Coyotegirl had him but she hasn't been on lately.

I don't know anyone that has been banded by him but I know someone that went for a fill by him and she really liked Dr. Berger. Another up-side to him is that he will see Mexican banded patients. As will Orris and Debarros.

If I had it to do over again and I didn't want to go back to Mexico (and I WOULD go back to Mexico!!) I would go to DeBarros and I would avoid Blackstone. I'd rather place my own band than go to Blackstone, it would probably be safer. :)

I was just banded last week and my doctor was Dr. Simon. I was referred to him by co-workers. I know a total of 3 people who have used his services, and all really have great reviews about him and like the results. It took me a total about 6 months to make a decision and once I did, the entire process from start to finish took me about 4 months (initial consulation to surgery date). From insurance approval, he can usually perform surgery within a month.

His program director had gastric bypass a few years ago and was able to provide a lot of information (from her personal experience and experience of other people and research). For the most part I'm satisfied with the service. The only downside is that he only performs the surgery at Paradise Valley Hospital, which a little ways from me (Everyone else I know had a choice of hositpals to go to). However, his pratice is in Central Phoenix.

If you would like to know additional information please let me know!

Good Luck and Congratulations!

I don't know anyone that has been banded by him but I know someone that went for a fill by him and she really liked Dr. Berger. Another up-side to him is that he will see Mexican banded patients. As will Orris and Debarros.

If I had it to do over again and I didn't want to go back to Mexico (and I WOULD go back to Mexico!!) I would go to DeBarros and I would avoid Blackstone. I'd rather place my own band than go to Blackstone, it would probably be safer. ;)

Why do you have that opinion of Dr. Blackstone? Since she has been my choice, I need to know.:)

Thanks

Why do you have that opinion of Dr. Blackstone? Since she has been my choice, I need to know.:)

Thanks

I'm curious as well. I did have a LB placed by Dr. Blackstone on 8/31. I was very impressed with her and her office (with one exception). Scottsdale Bariatric is a "Center for Excellence" and she has performed more than 400 LapBands. I even have to drive about 120 mile to see her, since I live in Tucson. Evidently, there are plenty of people out there who feel the same - in my pre and post op classes - there were people from NM, CA etc.

Anyway, it is a done deal now, and I am happy with the results so far. I had the surgery as an out-patient, and stayed in a nearby hotel (and had a very good night's sleep - as opposed to staying in the hospital).

I don't know the other doctors and can't speak to where they are relative to Robin Blackstone.

Did you have your surgery yet? If so, how did it go?

elleng

If I had it to do over again and I didn't want to go back to Mexico (and I WOULD go back to Mexico!!) I would go to DeBarros and I would avoid Blackstone. I'd rather place my own band than go to Blackstone, it would probably be safer. :rolleyes:

I am very curious about this as well. I am being banded this Fiday by Dr Blackstone and was very confident in my decision until I saw this post. What exactly do you mean?

I am very curious about this as well. I am being banded this Fiday by Dr Blackstone and was very confident in my decision until I saw this post. What exactly do you mean?

Everyone makes mistakes and that includes doctors. There is no way around it, everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes. The true test of a doc (one that does not make mistakes on a routine basis, that is) is how they handle those mistakes.

I used to work somewhere that we took care of long term patients. We had a few too many Dr. Blackstone patients in our care yet we had no patients of any other bariatric surgeon.

Basically I disagree with the way she handles human error.

However, those were all bypass patients and not banding. We never had a band patient of hers. Just a few of her bypass patients.

Good Luck Donna17. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Sounds like you did your homework, so you will do very well. Let us know how you came out!!!!!!!! Welcome to Post - Band Life. It is truly hard, but very satisfying.:clap2::clap2::clap2::cool::D:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I'm going to be banded Nov 2 by Dr DeBarros. He is so nice and goes over everything with you. My first visit he spent at least an hour or more talking to me and today another hour! I'm on the 2 week liquid diet now. I'm so excited to get this done. My insurance approved me in one day! Diane