Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I've done my research and I know that I can get FMLA for the actual surgery, but does anyone know if the FMLA will cover the appointments leading up to the surgery? I have to do the 6 month supervised diet before the surgery, and once a month go get weighed. The hospital that I have to go to once a month is a two hour one way drive for me, so I'll usually have to take the whole day off from work for the appointments, so I was hoping that I could get these appointments covered under FMLA also, since they are required before I can have the surgery. Anyone have any experience with this?

It should. Remember after your out vacation and sick time FMLA is not paid time off.

I'm using vacation time for my surgery however, I did have to use FMLA for another medical condition. My particular company required me to use five of my own days before FMLA kicked in. So for me those days I had to use prior to surgery were not covered. Once FMLA kicked in, of course all of the post op visits are covered under FMLA.

You will just have to ask the company your work for what their policy is.

It should. Remember after your out vacation and sick time FMLA is not paid time off.

Yes, that's the main reason I want the FMLA, because I don't have any PTO time accumulated and I want the job security of FMLA because we aren't supposed to take off if we don't have the PTO otherwise.

Ldybg8879, is it possible that you can be weighed once a month somewhere closer? Perhaps you only need to go in for meetings with actual person and not just to be weighed. Perhaps they could do a weigh in at your PCP's office if it is closer? Just wondering because I had to go for all my appointments downtown from where I live (it's only about 20 minutes from where I live during good weather and no traffic), but I was told that if the weather is severe I could go to my PCP's office that is literally 5 minutes away and have a weigh in done.

Perhaps something to question.

Also remember that you typically have to work somewhere for at least a year before you get FMLA.