Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with strict protein only diet?

Hey, all. I am two weeks out from surgery and was just wondering if any of you have similar instructions. My doctor wants me on a Protein only diet until I've lost 75% of what I need to lose. I'm really missing fruit and vegetables (crazy, I know)and am bummed I can't touch them for a while.

Every Dr. is different in what they want. Mine is Water and Protein first then anything else, but I can have other things. Right now though Protein is about all that will fit.

As has been posted, every surgeon has different requirements. Two thoughts on "Protein only". First, it IS important that you need your Protein requirements, as your body can't make it's own protein. And protein stays with you in terms of satiety - with a tiny tummy, if you don't eat protein with every meal/snack, then you're likely to feel hungrier sonner afterwards.

Second, staying off carbs entirely is a helpful way to avoid cravings that really plague some people postop.

That said, one reason I chose my surgeon is that she emphasizes a more balanced approach right from the start. There is a reason humans are omnivorious. There are nutritional advantages to eating Proteins, fats and, yes, carbs, provided they're complex carbs. I love my veggies and am already working on ways to get my veggie fix postop.

There was a time when I ate fairly low carb but Protein only seems extreme. Calories come from either Protein, fat or carbs. For example most vegetables have very healthy carbs but minimal protein and fat. meat is protein and fat while cooking oil is 100 percent fat etc

If you don't get healthy fats (olive oil as an example) your skin will get dry.

If you don't have some carbs you will be brain foggy and physically weak. This doesn't have to come from Pasta and rice - in fact there are carbs in lots of hidden places, but I can't function on less than say 20 g a day.

I lost weight really well on a high protein, moderate fat, low carb plan.

Hey, all. I am two weeks out from surgery and was just wondering if any of you have similar instructions. My doctor wants me on a Protein only diet until I've lost 75% of what I need to lose. I'm really missing fruit and vegetables (crazy, I know)and am bummed I can't touch them for a while.

Same thing here.

It's really not bad. Good choices in Vitamins help to curb my cravings for fruits & vegetables.

The road ahead of you seems to be bland and flavorless.....or at least it did to me when I was 2 weeks out.

I stayed on Protein shakes for 4 weeks and was thinking that this new way of eating was going to suck forever.

After my 4 week appointment the surgeon challenged me to go ahead and try new foods.....but he was adamant that I should always stick to the meats, seafood and chicken. He's huge on steak. The things he coached me on are 180 degrees from anything any doctor had ever done prior. Vitamin supplementation is the key.

I'm staying within my 1/2 cup sized meals of Protein and getting in my Water......and coffee is a godsend to knock back any cravings.

The game changed for the better on that 4th week. Transitioning off the shakes to the meats, seafood and chicken was excellent. Everything started to fall into place right then and ever since.

Please understand that this is a temporary thing.........you will not take near as long as you think to burn off the 75% you are shooting for. Stay strict and exercise. You will be there in short order.

I'm looking forward to the months ahead.....hopefully by year's end.....when I can add some food types back into my diet. I'll be a 1 cup meal size by then.....still not an entire Lean Cuisine meal....but the variety will be super.

Hang in there and know that you can do anything for several months. It becomes easier, too, as you see and feel the weight falling off. I assure you.

My doctor says that the human brain needs 50g of carbs for optimal performance, but she wants those carbs coming from Beans, veggies, milk, yogurt. Even the Premier Protein shakes have 5g of carbs in them.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am taking a ton of Vitamins. It feels like I get more vitamins in me than anything else! The pill thing is daunting, especially since I am taking meds for RA, Fibromyalgia, and high blood pressure. I sure do hope this time goes by quickly because I totally agree that you need the healthy carbs that fruit and veggies provide. Right now my energy is really low. Thanks again!

The honest truth is you won't have much room for anything BUT Protein the first several months post op, and that's okay. It helps you heal and keep the muscle you may lose with weight loss.

I actually was mostly protien the first 6 months. Then I stated encorperating some carbs in the form of fruits and veggies into my diet.

Like Babbs said.. I too mostly ate all Protein the first approx. six months. I did get a tiny amount of carbs from my Protein Shakes, Greek yogurt, turkey Jerky, etc. Once I meet my protein goals and fluid goals for the day I really didn't have much room for more.

Now that I am in maintenance I do eat more veggies and some fruit.