Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ten years with the Lap Band

Hi,

This is my first post, and I have a good reason to now. It was ten years ago today when I got the Lap Band. I was 23 years old, 221 pounds, and barely 5'1 when I became a candidate thanks to Dr. Greenstein at Mt. Sinai.

It was truly unchartered territory. But on that day not only did I meet a woman who was featured on Dateline NBC's report on the Lap Band, but my future doctor was making rounds w/ Dr. Greenstein on my surgery day. Also, I was part of the FDA study which gave the Lap Band its seal of approval. Who know I'd be a part of medical history?

As most of you know, this procedure is lifechanging in ways never imagined. I'm lucky to have this, and for those who have it for ten years or ten days, there's no need to go into detail. You already know how I feel. :whoo:

Thank you. I forgot to mention that I've lost 76 pounds, even with a revision in 2004. I never thought I'd get to a point when the weight loss wasn't the first thing I reported on.

Wow! Congratulations. Are you willing to share more with us pre banders? Any regrets? Worst thing about the band? Best advice you would give to someone else? I just don't think I 've seen anyone else around here that has been banded for that long and I feel there is so much you have to offer.

Three things stick out:

Don't stress the pre/post-op diet. It sounds daunting at first, but it's best to follow it as closely as you can to prepare you for the band. After surgery, food will the furthest thing from your mind. It'll get frustrating due to the limited choices especially if you're on liquids for an amount of time, but stick with it.

Find support. This was tough for me. Family and friends mean well, but they truly don't know what it's like unless they have it. But I can't say that I was satisfied with some of the Lap Band support groups I went to. When there was talk about spray-on olive oil vs. pouring it into the pan and nothing about how people were feeling post-op, I stopped going. No one mentions how everything you once knew will change, and how the physical does change the mental and emotional aspects as well. Therapy will help your process.

And, you might have heard this before, but eat slowly.

A word of advice: DO NOT PICK UP ANYTHING HEAVY POST-OP.

It may seem silly, but I didn't follow that advice when I was at work a week after surgery and picked up a box. I didn't think it was odd, and didn't feel anything. But my weight loss slowed down a year or so later and I got acid reflux. When I switched doctors in 2003, the new doc found that I had a hiatial hernia, which moved the Band and complicated my weight loss.

I had a revision done in 2004, and fixed the hernia as well.

I didn't mean to scare you, but felt like I had to warn you about the only downside of the Lap Band. That complication was my fault, not the doc or the Band's.

Thank you for posting! How very brave and courageous of you to take part in the surgery when you did! AND to have done so well with your weight loss. Are there other brave souls that were involved with the study and how have they fared? Again, thank you for forging the way as a WLS pioneer. Admirable feat!

Happy 10 year Band Anniversary!! You are a ture inspiration to all of here!! Congrats on all your success!!!

Sandra

255h/242s/210c/165g

How great to hear from someone with so much time banded! Glad you shared your anniversary!! I've wondered if there were any different issues with those banded for a long time, but haven't noticed anyone with 10 years behind them before. Thanks for blazing the way!!

banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

Wow, thank you so much for coming here and sharing your anniversary with us. It's great to hear from someone with such long-term experience!!

It feels good to here about someone with the band for so long, especially since lately alot of people have been worrying more and more about slippage and erosion. Why did you have to have a revision??? Are you at your goal??? What was you start weight and you current weight??? Sorry so many questions.