Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - Pre Band (hopefully!)

Hi, I'm candy. I am currently at 38 BMI with no medical issues, so I'm somewhat hopeful that I would qualify eventually for the LapBand.

I am over 100 pounds overweight. I used to hang around 105 pounds - and because of smoking cessation 3 times over the last 5 years, I've gained weight that I have not been able to take off. I weigh 217 now.

I have quit smoking again - last month and plan to make this quit a last time.

Has anyone ever been in the middle of the 35-40 BMI range without medical issues and how have they handled it?

I am hoping that Dr. Averbach, St. Agnes Hospital, will do the approval and banding. I think I have to go through a 6 month supervised program, does anyone have any experience with that? Does anyone know what is expected out of the 6 month program? Is there a certain number of pounds that have to be lost through this supervised program?

Hi, I just wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are in a very similar boat. I have my first Dr. appt Friday, I have to start with my MD because of ins rules. I also will be going to St agnes. I am 44, no health issues, but want to get this weight off before it happens. Family History tells me it will. I am an exsmoker and am 120 lbs over weight. Just wanted to say HI

You should have no problem....I dont have any health issues but I am 100 overweight as well. I presented my 6 months of supervised diet documents, participated in a sleep study, completed a routine physical with my doctor with an EKG, and Carol of Dr. Singh/Averbach's office did the rest. I have AETNA and two days after Carol submitted, I rec'd a call telling me I was approved.

I have thought about this as well. I figured what most have said you learn quickly or you suffer the consequences

Qualification

Hi Candy! Welcome!

Your case sounds very similar to mine. I do not have any other medical issues right now but obesity. My BMI is my only qualification and it is right @ 40. My only concern is my height. Sometimes it was reflected as 5’2” and other times correctly as 5’1”, which makes a difference on what my BMI would be.

I am further along in the process though because I have already attended all the medically required classes and received clearances from the psychologist and nutritionist. My PCP has also provided my letter of medical necessity based on my BMI and family history of heart disease. I am just waiting now to go and meet w/the surgeon to go over everything and have my ppw submitted to the insurance company. I hope they will approve it and not give me a hard time about my BMI because of how my height was documented.

I also had to complete 6 months of supervised dieting and my doctor told me that they want to make sure that you can stick w/a program regardless of it being successful or not. It shows them that you are not going to give up on the band if it doesn't give you immediate results.

BTW I have United Health Care.