Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Surgeon Appointment Coming Up

On February 2nd, I had a call with my insurance company, United HealthCare. It was a nurse/case manager that told me that based off of my BMI alone, I was a candidate for the surgery. She gave me a list of the doctors that are within their circle of excellence program, and I called them immediately to schedule any appointment. My first appointment is on March 16th, and I don't know what to expect. I was told by my insurance company that I have to be seen by a psychologist, and then also see a dietitian, but I was required to have a supervised diet for any set amount of time. So, a few questions that I have:

1. What should I expect at my first appointment?

2. How long after your first appointment did you get a surgery date?

I guess I didn't have as many questions as I thought. But any incouraging words would be great!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I guess I didn't have as many questions as I thought. But any incouraging words would be great!

Thanks!

I saw the surgeon in a group setting prior to being a candidate, I think twice. Once I was a candidate, I saw him one-on-one, and got further info about what I needed to do, what to expect, and a chance to ask questions. He made a simple physical examination and asked me a few questions about my health, then I sat with the admin and signed a medical records release so I could obtain short term medical leave at my work, and yes, got a surgical date, in my case a little more than 3 weeks out from that visit.

This is a very personal decision as it will be a big change, But for me it's a change I know I need to make - I am mainly looking to head off the serious health consequences of obesity, but also want to look and feel better, be able to enjoy more activities like biking and kayaking. I can almost feel the wind in my hair now! ;-)

Thanks!

I saw the surgeon in a group setting prior to being a candidate, I think twice. Once I was a candidate, I saw him one-on-one, and got further info about what I needed to do, what to expect, and a chance to ask questions. He made a simple physical examination and asked me a few questions about my health, then I sat with the admin and signed a medical records release so I could obtain short term medical leave at my work, and yes, got a surgical date, in my case a little more than 3 weeks out from that visit.

This is a very personal decision as it will be a big change, But for me it's a change I know I need to make - I am mainly looking to head off the serious health consequences of obesity, but also want to look and feel better, be able to enjoy more activities like biking and kayaking. I can almost feel the wind in my hair now! ;-)

Thank you for your response! I'm so ready to have control over my life for the first time l. I've always been overweight, and it sucks. There are so many things that I've wanted to do, but always told myself no because of my weight. Plus, I know now that I don't have any other medical issues along with the weight, but they are bound to come, so why not try to prevent them. Especially since I've almost met my insurance deductible already this year.

I have my first appointment on March 1st and I also have United Healthcare. My nurse is super nice and gave me a lit of things I have to do. Also I ready scheduled my psychological evaluation, support group attendance, and my nutrition visit will be scheduled for after I see the doctor on my first visit. Like you I have been over weight my whole life and I am ready for a change. I have had my kids and married my love and want to be proud of my life instead of hiding behind everything because of my weight. My current weight is 230 lbs but my highest was after I gave birth to my daughter and that was 260. I lost 30 lbs by essentially starving myself for months and now can only eat very little without gaining 5-10 lbs. I also have high cholesterol and horrible sciatica, trouble sleeping, plus hypothyroidism. I feel like I am a walking time bomb!!!!

Please keep us posted

Bridget

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I also have United. I started in October last year with my first consultation and my surgery date is Apr 20. (a lot of that was working around my work schedule) With my plan all I needed to do was the consultation through Optum & psych evaluation. The eval took two months from scheduling to getting the results but that was due to the holidays. My best advice is that you stay in communication with them and keep checking on the progress. I have yet to meet my surgeon just because he is out of state and I will meet him at the pre-op consultation.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also have United. I started in October last year with my first consultation and my surgery date is Apr 20. (a lot of that was working around my work schedule) With my plan all I needed to do was the consultation through Optum & psych evaluation. The eval took two months from scheduling to getting the results but that was due to the holidays. My best advice is that you stay in communication with them and keep checking on the progress. I have yet to meet my surgeon just because he is out of state and I will meet him at the pre-op consultation.

your surgery date is my birthday so only good wishes for you!!! I am hoping to have my surgery before my birthday. The center I'm going with usually schedules you 3 weeks after your initial consultation.

I have my first appointment on March 1st and I also have United Healthcare. My nurse is super nice and gave me a lit of things I have to do. Also I ready scheduled my psychological evaluation, support group attendance, and my nutrition visit will be scheduled for after I see the doctor on my first visit. Like you I have been over weight my whole life and I am ready for a change. I have had my kids and married my love and want to be proud of my life instead of hiding behind everything because of my weight. My current weight is 230 lbs but my highest was after I gave birth to my daughter and that was 260. I lost 30 lbs by essentially starving myself for months and now can only eat very little without gaining 5-10 lbs. I also have high cholesterol and horrible sciatica, trouble sleeping, plus hypothyroidism. I feel like I am a walking time bomb!!!!

Please keep us posted

Bridget

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My nurse told me that I didn't require a group session, but I know they the doctor that I'm going to has one on March 5th, that I'm think I'm may attend. I don't have kids, which is honestly shocking to me, my husband and I are like rabbits. ;) But I'm assuming that the weight has something to do with it. I'm wanting to have kids, so once I'm at a goal weight, we may visit that. I have really bad back problems, I actually just had an epidural steroid injection today. But other than that, I'm not all that bad in the health department. But I know the weight will eventually catch up. Thank you for responding! Good luck with your journey! I can't wait to see your results!

I am hoping that I'm about to get this all done this year, my husband and I have already met our deductible, so it would be great to have it all done while health care is cheap. =] But that puts you at about 6 months, so I think I'll be good! My nurse through UHC told me that I would need to wait for my first surgeons appointment before I do the psychological evaluation or see the dietician. I'm so excited, to finally get headed down the right path to being the better healthy person I deserve to be, but nervous all at the same time! Than you as well for your response! And good luck with your journey!