Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extreme sports and the gastric sleeve

Years after the sleeve has been done and life returns to "normal", can sleeve patients do extreme sports... successfully?

I have always had a secret goal to do a sprint distance triathlon, but post-sleeve, how is staying nourished and hydrated during the race possible?

My pre-sx dietician says that forever after surgery, I will need to live by the 30/30/30 law:

no fluids 30 minutes prior to eating

take 30 minutes to eat

no fluids 30 minutes after eating

Extreme sports and this "law" do not seem to coincide.

My question, is there anyone on the forum, is there a book I can read, that speaks to extreme sports post gastric sleeve?

I would find yourself a Registered Dietician who works with endurance athletes. Clearly, you will need to fuel your body differently than your average athlete for this kind of activity.

Years ago, I was training for a couple 100km bike rides. Not racing, but distance. I worked with an RD who was a marathoner. It was tricky because I was on a weight loss program at the time. Each week we planned out my training rides, recovery day(s), and how to adjust my calories. I found that the harder I trained, the more my appetite just evaporated. I was having to make myself take a few bites of something every two hours after a long ride. I found I could handle liquids better than solids on heavy training days. Her advice was worth every penny I paid her.

Golden Girl... a dietitian. Of course. That makes sense. I was thinking of some kind of fitness trainer, but a dietitian makes much more sense. Thank you for your comment. That helps.

@@Unbridled

If you choose to have an above average fitness level. The maintenance phase diet will not apply. I work with a sports medicine dietitian. Calories have increased. My macro nutrients are 40% Carbs - 30% Protein - 30% fat. Eating is an all day project with a bariatirc stomach. But it's worth it.

hydration - I eat right after I have fluids.

My instructions - don't drink while eating. Wait 30 min after eating before drinking fluids

It will be trial and error to find what works for your body. Endurance athletes need to consume thousands of calories a day. We have the challenge of a bariatric size stomach.

The Bariathlete

http://www.weightlosssurgerypodcast.com/037-becoming-a-bariathlete-with-lea-crosetti-andes/

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/emergence-of-the-bariathlete

https://www.facebook.com/BariAthletes/

My bariatric practice changed their Fluid recommendations....no drinking right after meals, but no problem before. I am not an extreme athlete but work hard around my farm in the summer. I can suck down huge quantities of Water and then eat lunch no problem.

Jenn1, tons of great info there. Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Unbridled

@@Unbridled

I'm glad the information helped. Where are you at in the process of bariatrics?

@@jenn1

I began my insurance-required 6 months of seeing a bariatric dr and dietitian in September last year. I've had to reschedule my upper endoscopy and sleep study to April because I travel for work occasionally. This afternoon I have my bariatric psych assessment. So, to answer your question, I'm still jumping through the hoops to satisfy my insurance. (I've thanked God over and over for my insurance.)

If I pass all these tests, I'm eligible for the sleeve surgery in May, however, my work schedule will likely not allow time for it until the summer. In the meantime, I reading everything I can get my hands on about the process and more importantly what my post-op life will look like years from now.

Thank you for your interest.